Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I needed a 270 WSM reamer for a customers rebarreling job. I called PTG first, they were out. Called JGS next, they were out. Manson reamers had one in stock, but it would need to be modified to accept JGS/PTG rotating bushings first. I was installing a Shilen #3 Stainless barrel on a CRPF Model 70 action. This reamer started chattering the moment it was deep enough to start the shoulder. So I borrowed a PTG reamer from another local Smith used the same bushing from the Manson reamer and the barrel then chambered normally. This is my first Manson reamer and probably is the last.
LMAO..

First barrel you chambered??? You'll be out of reamer manufacturers pretty soon once you actually get some experience..

laugh laugh laugh

Now that is funny!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've been feelin' a bit bad about that post.. I meant no disrespect to the OP but when I hear a first-time experience with chatter I couldn't help but think it was from a newbie..

I'm guilty of 'assuming' - and we all know what that'll get ya..

Anyway, to Dustylongshot - I owe a mea culpa.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I chambered a few barrels before I learned how. They were on my own rifles, so if I messed it up, it was mine instead of someone else's.

I have been reading about floating reamer holders and dialing in the bore. To dial up the bore, and not use a floating reamer, wouldn't you have to assume that the tail stock was in perfect alignment?

I really haven't learned how, but I will chamber one of my own barrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should check the alignment of the tail stock before any project involving the tail stock.

FWIW, I use the PT&G Bald Eagle floating reamer holder for all my chamber work. When you consider the different ways the bore can be dialed in and yet still be a little out of whack it's just added insurance. BTW, I do not use the floating reamer holder right off the bat. I use a lathe dog to hold the reamer until I am at about the 1/4 mark before making the switch. Otherwise it can cause chatter. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep.. But even with a lathe dog you can get chatter right away - depending on the particular chambering.. And even when you switch you can get chatter.. BTDT... It's just something a lathe operator has to catch right away and address it before it becomes a real problem..

But the worst (I've found) is that dang .300HH.. mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a shiney five dollar bill that says a call to the maker, regardless of which Dave or the others, would have had this worked out in short order.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
ya, give dave a call. Im guessing he'll make it right. Every manufacturer slips up a POS from time to time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.