-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just dropped off a brand-new FX-3 6x42 at Leupo. The inner side of one of the objective lenses is hazy/cloudy. Got home and checked my other 6x42 and it has the same problem.

Anyone else seen this?

I really don't want to turn this into a Leupo bashing thread. I've done my fair share, believe me. But I've gone to the darkside, at least with the 6x42 and am curious what the deal is. I expect them to take care of the problem, but am surprised it made it past QC. Plus I need to get 2 scopes fixed and re-zeroed.

Still, I really like the 6x42. Great mag, great eye relief, non-critical eye position, and very bright. Just a bit ticked right now (at Leupold poor QC, and myself for poor QC!).

If nothing else, it might be worth checking your Leupo.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/02/12.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Leupold CS will take care of it. I just got off the phone with a Leupold Tech this PM. I had sent them a well used M8 3X with cloudy lenses. He told me it probably needed a good cleaning. I asked if they replaced lenses. He said hardly ever, unless the lens coating was coming off. They just clean them. They are going to retrofit a German #4 reticle in this old scope for $59. I'm going to use it as back up on a DG rifle.

I also sent an older Vari X-II 2-7x33. I asked if they could fit a CDS and was told it was too old. They're going to clean it up and send it back.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Just dropped off a brand-new FX-3 6x42 at Leupo. The inner side of one of the objective lenses is hazy/cloudy. Got home and checked my other 6x42 and it has the same problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Jason

Jason, just curious as to where you keep these scopes in your home. Meaning, close to a heat source perhaps ? It sounds to me (just my best guess) that they got moisture in them making them appear cloudy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just got an M8 6x36 back from Leupold. It too was a little cloudy and pretty old. Leupold replaced both the objective and eyepiece lenses, and replaced the main tube.

I see Leupold as being very much on the bright side, and not the dark side. I buy their scopes almost exclusively, and am very pleased.

Steve

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dang it Steve! I have too much respect for you to run Leupolds down anymore. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. And, for the record, I don't have a lot of rifles that could use a scope, but, if I'm not going to use a Zeiss/Hensoldt or Schmidt and Bender, I buy a Leupold if I can afford it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
magnum dood

Thank you for the compliment.

The only time I've had to send a scope back to Leupold, is when I bought an old one here at the Fire, knowing that if it were not perfect, Leupold would make it so.

And the next time I am disappointed with the Leupold customer service will be the first time.

I think we have an all American jewel here at Leupold both in their scope design, and their customer service. I'm pretty sure their company organizational philosophy is to get it right the first time because if they don't , they will get it back to fix.

As much as we want to support American companies, it is the high quality American companies that are going to make it happen. Leupold is one of them.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And Leupold has never charged me for a scope repair. I pay the shipping to them, they fix the scope, and return it to me at no charge.

For me, buying Leupold, either new or used, makes perfect sense.

Great scope, great customer service.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the late reply...

I dropped off two scopes last week and got a call today saying they were ready. Lenses were supposedly cleaned, and M1 turrets added.

One scope looked partially cleaned, the other had no change. I left both scopes for the Leupold to get the job right. Somewhat annoyed that an optics company can't clean lenses.

To their credit, 1-week seems pretty quick turn around for the M1.

RD - I keep the rifles/scopes in a safe in a heated/cooled room. They are not near a heat source. The cloudy lenses look like grime/film not moisture.

Not sure many people are interested in this thread, but I'll try to update when the issue is resolved. It might be useful to someone.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/08/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be interested in what caused that condition or what they say it was that caused the clouding/haze or whatever they say it is.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What did it look like when you actually looked through the scope. Bright and sharp or cloudy?

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.