-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am about to receive a Winchester Model 70 Classic 300 WIN Mag made in 2001 or so. It has the two piece floorplate/trigger guard. I am thinking of restocking it when i get it and need to know 1) will a standard LA Win 70 stock fit or do I need a Magnum action stock?, 2) is the 300 WM barrel contour the same as a 30-06 Win 70 sporter barrel contour?, 3) will my action fit a new Model 70 one piece floorplate stock if I buy a new one piece bottom metal? Finally, 4) I have a really nice featherweight stock from a new haven Model 70 but the recoil lug seems to be almost cosmetic. Its just a black dot and I do not see a heavier lug like on the later rifles. I assume that stock, even if the action fits will be insufficient? I assume I need one with a heavier recoil lug? Help apreciated on these questions.Thanks

Last edited by Milwroad; 08/06/12.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
GB1

O
O
In case you haven't bought a stock yet check these out. Goodluck.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/winchester2.html
nice prices.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

limits.- Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a gunsmith but here goes for what it's worth so the real gunsmiths can keep working.

1. Same screw spacing 7 & 9/16th but check

2.Some magnum barrels had a thicker and longer shank, not sure what years other wise the same. Measure it. Not sure when but QC was off when they started running double shifts and I got a WSM from around that period with a non standard shank. It was standard but 1/4" longer. Off just enough so no standard patterns fit.

3.Yes but 1&2 piece are not interchangeable and Williamson is slightly different too but I don't think they are in production.

4.Sounds like your looking at the cross bolt reinforcing and it may just be a cosmetic inlet or a solid rod on the featherweight. Usually glass bedding instead of the factory goo will be enough for a 300 WM. You could add a reinforcement or a cross bolt as a precaution.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, I was looking at the cross bolt. On the stock I have there is no discernable bolt head, just a black "dot". Almost looks cosmetic. Thanks for the help. Appreciated.

limits.- Albert Einstein
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On some stocks, under the black "dot", which is just a plastic plug, is a wood screw running through the web in front of the trigger. It seems to do a decent job reinforcing the wood.

A decent gunsmith can replace the plug with a real crossbolt if you prefer.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Yes, I was looking at the cross bolt. On the stock I have there is no discernable bolt head, just a black "dot". Almost looks cosmetic. Thanks for the help. Appreciated.

It's a plastic plug which covers a "wood" screw that goes through the web. It is real ^&%$# to get out (at least the ones I have done). Last one I replaced, I had to drill around the screw and work the wood & screw out. In the end it was fine, just not fun.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you think this "plastic over a wood screw" would handle a 300 win mag?

limits.- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't necessarily trust the factory hot glue bedding, but the single cross screw wouldn't cause me any worry on a 300 mag.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Do you think this "plastic over a wood screw" would handle a 300 win mag?

That screw just prevents the web from flexing and splitting. You'll be fine as long as the action screws are reasonably tight.

If you want some extra insurance, then have the rifle bedded properly. If you want to go whole hog, then have a cross bolt installed behind the recoil lug as well. Problem with that is the black plug with then look odd (at least to me), so you might want to have that replaced.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all for your help on this.

limits.- Albert Einstein
O
O
Hey Milwroad there is a wealth of information on this topic at www.stockysStocks.com They also sell 1 piece bottom metal to convert 2-piece to 1-piece. Im even getting an oberndorf style for mine. shedding tupperware stock from LA sporter for a Bell and Carlson Medalist. 230bucks on sale, Bottom metal for $150.
CDNNsports website sells a delrin spacer for under $10 to use your 2-piece bottom metal in stocks designed for 1-piece metal. I used one of these to drop a post 64 featherweight classic barreled actioninto a walnut stock made for 1piece bottom metal Featherweight. Fit was terrific. It filled the ugly gap behind the floorplate and brought the hinge metal up flush with the bottom of the inletting.Fine for my personal gun, but perhaps not adequate for custom work. Goodluck

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information, appreciated!

limits.- Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.