Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I challenged the test last March, passed, and received my PAL in August after "jumpimg through the hoops". It was not easy, nor cheap. The photo alone is hard enough. I waited untill I was back in Ontario for the photo after getting the formal results of the test. The photo is different than anything in the states.

You can do it, but it is not quick, easy, nor cheap. Good luck!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. I thought I could save myself some time at the airport. Getting somewhere to take the test will cost more than the 25 bucks a year for 5 years for the declaration.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not to discourage you from getting a PAL. I studied the book after online study, then an appointment to take the test. As I said, the photo on another trip to Canada. The paper work, and your local police letter of good conduct, and the two references. I spent $11.00 sending the packet insured. After all that, I did not want it getting lost in the mail. I must have $150. invested.
The test is just on safe use of arms, but, I had to learn the jargon. "ACTS, PROVE".
Two trips should do it all. If you obtained the study book, and had the photo taken on the first, the second for the test, given an appointment works out.
You are correct about the expence. I like having mine however. Good luck with the hunt.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I challenged the exam sometime in the mid or late 1990s. I was still in the service, teaching weapons.

At any rate, One of the two questions I got wrong was "What does the third letter in ACTS stand for? For those that do not know, the test is a multiple guess type. I didn't have a clue what they asking, so I guessed - and guessed wrong.

The examiner was surprised that I missed it. I told him that I didn't have a clue what ACTS was. He was nonplussed.

I still don't have any idea what the ACTS and PROVE acronyms stand for, and I don't care. They have something to do with careless firearms handling. The military has its own acronyms that mean the same thing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, I know you said you don't care. For anyone else, A,assume it's loaded. C,control the direction of the mussel.T,trigger,keep your finger off. S, safe, is it? Then PROVE it. P, Point it in a safe dirrection.R, remove any ammo. O, observe the action. V, verifi the feed. E, examine the bore.

As I said, just what a carefull arms user has been doing all along. I did the practial test without thinking. I broke open the over/under, looked down the barrels, Bob's your uncle. Mine is for the non restricted, I have no doubt the restricted is somewhat harder.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The PROVE acronym sorta works, but shouldn't ACTS really be ACKI? Or maybe IAKC?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, I did not make the rules, nor write the book. I wanted to pass the test. I have learned if you want what "they" have, give the answer they want. Like I said, nothing new really, just basic safety.
I will say I did learn a few things studying for the test. Don't ask me now though, I forgot.
Forgive me for spouting off. I any know about seven things, and thats four of them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know you didn't write the book. smile

I've no doubt that they hired several grossly overpaid course developers that had M.Ed's, none of whom never picked up a firearm, to write the manual.

There's a relatively new specialty in the Cdn Forces called training development officers. They've been around for about ten years. One of the prerequisites is a M Ed. Normally I'd have no issues with their credentials or what they were expected to do, but I've met four of them and they do not inspire anyone's confidence. I teach at a technical school and these people seem to be geared toward the academic, not hands on.

To cut to the chase, much of what they have done isn't working or has been changed and made to work by "the less gifted" - the teaching staff.

No doubt, there was a lot of this going on with the firearms course too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, Let's end this on a mellow note for the day. Will Rogers said something like, "We can be glad were are not getting all the government we are paying for".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dwayne, great idea, and ever the gentleman, you are a credit to this site. Though I presently don't have plans to hunt Canada, if I did, I can think of no better start than here.

IC B3

BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
George;
Thanks again for the kind words sir, I appreciate them and will endeavor to deserve them in my future posts.

As new information or ideas come up, I'll attempt to add them or links to them at least. Anyone who feels so inclined is welcome to do the same by the way.

For the traveling hunter this thread had some great ideas for getting capes, skulls and meat back home so hopefully it's OK I put up a link to it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Whitetail_Cape_and_Horns_on_Ai#UNREAD

If for whatever reason you can't find a Walmart up here, there is a store chain called Canadian Tire in many towns that might have the Rubbermaid containers, duct tape and cable ties called for.

In another thread recently about cell phones I posted that here in south central BC the cell service can be spotty and reception can vary with the provider links up here - so I'm told anyway.

So to recap just because you are on a paved road or in some towns for that matter, doesn't guarantee cell service up here.

This might be a handy item for the visiting hunter who is driving up to their hunt.

It's been our experience that coverage across southern Alberta was much better, but then as one is out of the mountains that makes sense I suppose.

Again it's my hope this information is useful to some of our visiting hunters.

Good luck to you all in your hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening Dwayne,

Being as I live in Southern Alberta, just outside Medicine Hat to be exact, I can address the cell coverage in the South Country a bit. From my experience, you will have pretty good coverage if you are with a major carrier who pings off TELUS or Bell towers. If you are with a smaller company or one that specializes in urban coverage you could find it spotty outside most cities, unless you are on the Calgary/Edmonton corridor for example. As well, if you are hunting the regions south of Elkwater you will lose most cell signals.
A few years ago I was north of the Hat on the 41 maybe 45 mins out of town when I spotted a number of coyotes in a field. Pulled over by a gate to get the Riders number, tried to call, no signal. My son whipped out his TELUS phone and bingo, in we went. My phone at the time was with Rogers, changed over to TELUS that week and have had service in parts of Alberta that even they tell me I shouldn't. FWIW
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire members;
As it's been awhile since this one's been bumped up and we seem to be getting more folks planning Canadian hunts, I hope it's OK that I bring it up again.

Anyone who'd like to contribute, please feel free to do so.

All the best to you all in 2013 and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job Dwayne there is some useful information in this thread.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
NWT:

All non-residents of the NWT MUST hunt with an outfitter registered with the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT). Each outfitter has an allocated area they are allowed to hunt for big game. There aren't many outfitters in the NWT, so it definitely simplifies things! If you have a certain area you want to hunt, then you likely only have one option for an outfitter.

Non-residents are not allowed to harvest grizzly bears. Residents are allowed one per lifetime.

This link is pretty informative. It has all the seasons, outfitters, contact info and some other good stuff.

http://spectacularnwtmedia.com/guides/2012_NWTT_Hunting.pdf

I don't know everything about hunting up here, but if someone is headed up, drop me a PM and I'll try to help.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
I'm just bumping this up again in case anyone is planning a fall hunt up here.

There's a lot of good information contained in it, so thanks again to all who've contributed.

All the best luck to you all in your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

B
B
Calling all hunters, the adventure has begun!

Watch this video to find out more about our Facebook Adventures Contest and get a peek at some of the $20,000 worth of prizes up for grabs. Click here to enter: http://ow.ly/k5hru

Don't forget to share the contest with your friends. Each new Facebook fan our page gets will bring us closer to unlocking the next level of prizes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLNNgo3sePY

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Apologies to all! BackroadsMapbooks just doesn't get the spirit of this thing! I suggest that we all boycott their product. Thanks to Dwayne for providing a free public service, shame on BackroadsMapbooks for taking advantage of a free marketing opportunity!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gentlemen, I have a deer hunting trip booked in Nov. 2013. I would like to know how I might acquire a good road map? My wife & I plan on driving because we have never seen that part of Canada (Alberta). If you are willing to share any information, concerning the weather & roads in November, it would be welcomed. Please PM me or send me an email to dlallderaceweb.com Thanks Daniel

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Daniel;
If you are traveling with a smart phone, I pad or laptop, there will be cell service and wi-fi available in many of the larger towns.

Access this site for up to the minute road conditions.

http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html

This site has a quick and dirty sort of printable format map that would get you a general overview.

http://www.watertonpark.com/maps/mapab.htm

Once you cross the medicine line, look for a Travel Alberta Info Center and they will have a detailed road map or be able to direct you to where to obtain one. Here's how to find them.

http://travelalberta.com/Trip%20Essentials/Visitor%20Information%20Centers.aspx

If that doesn't get you started down the right path sir then we'll see if some of our Alberta 'Fire brethren can't get you on it.

All the best luck on your trip and your hunt.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/23/13.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 90 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.