Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can someone point me to Mule Deer's instructions on how to clean a barrel before using the Dyna Bore Coating?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't been able to access the Dyna-Tek website lately, but here's a run-down. Maybe JB will add to this if I miss something:

- Hoppes for half a dozen patches to get out powder fouling

- A patch wrapped around a caliber-sized bronze brush, with JB bore paste smeared on for 30 strokes back and forth

- Rinse with some more patches of Hoppes

- Your favourite copper cleaner, follow the directions, and repeat 3 times, even if you can't see any blue on the patches

- Run a dry patch or 2 through, and then proceed to the degreasing instructions that are a part of DBC application

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Then do it all over again a couple more times!!

Even JB's directions are a little confusing in places. Doug's are flat out incomprehensible.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Cleaning a Barrel to Bare Steel - thanks to John Barsness for the excellent cleaning instructions.
The proper installation of Ultra Bore Coat involves first cleaning the bore down to bare, dry steel. Otherwise the coating won�t be sticking to the steel, but powder or lead or copper fouling.

I know, you�re already perfectly capable of cleaning a barrel�but �perfectly� is the key here. With today�s cleaning products it�s actually pretty easy to keep a barrel clean enough to shoot accurately. However, this is not the same as perfectly clean. I know this because I use a bore-scope�and so does Doug Burche. When I first sent him a rifle for the installation of Ultra Bore Coat, Doug warned me that it needed to be perfectly clean, and challenged me by stating that he had never received such a barrel. So I made sure it was CLEAN, and even Doug agreed it was.

Everybody has their favorite ways of cleaning a bore these days, but I have found that few are based on the use of a bore-scope. So here is the method I used to get my bore perfectly clean:

This was a custom barrel, chambered for the .223 Remington. First, I cleaned out the loose powder fouling with Hoppe�s No. 9 and a half-dozen cotton patches. This is the easy part.

Next, a .22 brass-wire bore-brush(Brush sized appropriate for your bore size) was wrapped with a thick cotton patch, so that the patch stuck to the brush. Then the patch was liberally covered in JB Bore Cleaner, a fine abrasive that will wear away lead or copper fouling�or even firmly embedded carbon from powder fouling. The patched brush was then run back and forth in the bore 30 times.

In order to work, this patched brush has to be tight. If it doesn�t require considerable effort to push and pull the brush back and forth, the JB Compound will not wear away metal fouling. If the patched brush feels at all easy to push at any time during the 30 strokes, then wrap another cotton patch around the brush, smear on more JB and do it again. Done correctly, this will remove all lead and carbon from the bore. It will remove almost all the copper from jacketed bullets, but usually not quite all.

Next, clean the bore again with Hoppe�s No. 9 and some cotton patches. This removes the JB Compound.

Now use a chemical copper solvent to remove the last tiny traces of copper. It doesn�t matter which you use, just follow the directions, and repeat them at least three times. It doesn�t matter if you can�t see any blue traces of dissolved copper on the cleaning patches; very often none will show up even though there are traces of copper in the bore. Just have faith and repeat the cleaning cycle recommended by the manufacturer three times.

Finally, degrease the bore. I normally use either isopropyl alcohol or acetone on cotton patches. Repeat three times, with a clean patch each time. Now your bore is really clean, and ready to be treated with Ultra Bore Coat.

-- [color:#000099][/color]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Would you change anything if you were cleaning a brand new rifle?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just got back in from the field:

I basically followed Doug's direction on the Dyna Coat package, word for word.

And noting Doug's mention about JB's being the only clean barrel he'd received early on in the campfire post above, also did JB's Brass brush method, tight patch & JB compound. which I always did before anyway when removing copper too bare metal.

I just did an Encore Pro .44 Mag 2 weeks ago, and the only thing I varied from was shooting 10 shots as fast as possible to heat the barrel. I think JB said recently he fired 5-7 shots.

Let the barrel set overnight, then cleaned it in the regular manner (for me) and did notice it cleaned quicker. This particular barrel was somewhat difficult to get squeaky clean before the coating treatment. I use K-12 copper solvent, and I believe JB said recently KG-12 did not get the minute copper deposits out. IRC, JB uses Copper Melt and lets it sit in the barrel for a few minutes for his last clean. Squeaky clean to me is a tight wet alcohol patch, that will squeak all the way from the throat to the muzzle end, with a nylon bristle/steel core bore brush. And that may not mean squat for complete copper removal.

I don't have a bore scope so can't verify that I got all copper out. My test is using a bright white fiber optic and looking for anything that is shadow or different reflection other than bright light the same as the fiber light. If there is copper deposits in minute pores in the barrel steel I probably don't see that with the fiber optic.

I can sure tell you the barrel cleaned easier though after the treatment.

need to edit, did not answer your question directly: I would clean a new barrel as Doug and JB describe. I have done that and did a Ruger American that way earlier this year right out of the box. Sure didn't hurt that new barrel any. I usually JB Compound clean all new 'factory' barrels. Think others have also coated new barrels also.

Last edited by slopshot; 08/17/12.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Will coating with Dyna Bore Coat interfere with the gas port on an AR-15??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No experience there, so can't say about that.

If you post to Doug or Mule Deer (JB) in gunwriters, and they catch your post, I bet they can answer that.

IRC, the coating was developed originally for military application.

There's probably something in the campfire archives relating to gas ports also. I can't get the archive thing too work tonight for some reason, and the Dyna-Tek site seems to have some kind of domain problem right now. Dyna-Tek's email seems to work though.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nebraska,

No, it won't. As a matter of fact I DBC'd the chrome-lined bore in my Bushmaster, and it works fine. DBC even helps chromed bores, as there are typically tiny cracks in the surface of the chrome that DBC fills in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Can someone point me to Mule Deer's instructions on how to clean a barrel before using the Dyna Bore Coating?

Take into account most of the first responders are paid and not unbias.......

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Assuming I understand your statement was a slam, have YOU actually tried UBC and do YOU have any input to the actual question besides speculation?

I have applied it to a few guns but have yet to see the advantage, but am holding onto my opinion until I can thoroughly make a positive statement.

I did send what I thought was a clean 17 remington back to Cooper due to poor performance and other issues needing fixed, and they scoped it and found copper I had not removed. With that, I can assume some of the guns I treated probably also were not spotless when UBC was applied.

Allen

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hemiallen

I have applied it to a few guns but have yet to see the advantage,

YES,That is what I was saying!!!!!!!!!!! people that are paid to see the the advantage see it more clearly than those of us that dont grin tired whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who gets paid by Dyna-Tek, exactly?

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Assuming I understand your statement was a slam, have YOU actually tried UBC and do YOU have any input to the actual question besides speculation?

I have applied it to a few guns but have yet to see the advantage, but am holding onto my opinion until I can thoroughly make a positive statement.

I did send what I thought was a clean 17 remington back to Cooper due to poor performance and other issues needing fixed, and they scoped it and found copper I had not removed. With that, I can assume some of the guns I treated probably also were not spotless when UBC was applied.

Allen

The key remains to get your bore clean down to bare metal. If not, your results will vary and it will be no fault of the product.

Allen at least found the error in his method.

RC's comment still remains useless as per always....

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Who gets paid by Dyna-Tek, exactly?

Hey Jordan,

Don't waste your energy on that POS.....all he can do is follow JB and other folks around and slam them without basis. What a piece of work!

Guy like RC could not wipe the mud off of your boots my man.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am at this stage surprised at the results I have gotten.

Cleaned well past seeing blue, and pushed tight fitting brush covered with a patch/ JB bore cleaner 20+ strokes, then cleaned more with blue indicating solvents and stopped several patches after no black from the JB or further blue seen. These guns all shoot extremely well, just cleanup isn't as I have read others experiences. I do have over 8 new guns I am trying this on, I need to pick one and get results to share. Anyone have a used Borescope for sale?

Mopped them 1x and some 2x what the instructions said, meaning let the first application ( One fro muzzle, dry, one from bore, dry, and again from Muzzle) set 24+ hours then repeated, no way I missed any bare metal from the liquid, but again, copper could have been sneaky.

Then 7 shots to cure, cleaning showed the first 6+ patches BLACK, not normal for a fired rifle but it seems an indication of the UBC doing it's thing. Another 10+ shot range session ( load development) and again many black patches, all followed with blue patches. Still waiting for another range session in hopes the black 6+ patches becomes a few blue and then clean patches.

I am surprised that this has happened to all of my treated guns, but won't blame UBC w/o a borescope, I may need to drive the 4 miles I am away from the factory in Rochester as I type this, and get myself one. Heck, Dinosaur BBQ is just around the corner from the factory.

My background is mechanical and with the right tools I should be a good judge of this product, I just need to quit buying guns and get the equipment to verify their condition.LOL

I have built diagnostic tools for very sophisticated uses in harsh environments from Lasers to Nukes, Missile Intercepts, Steam injection wells, etc. I am capable with the tools to give this a fair shake, but have again not done so and said more than I should for the data I have obtained.

Allen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first cleaning or two can be pretty bad, as the coating is being cured and centered. After the first couple of cleanings, you'll tend to use far fewer patches, and less time, than you used to before applying DBC.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rockchuck: Your slam posts are interfering with some good information here. Take it elsewhere -- preferably to another website.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The amount of black on the patches may be due to the powder you're using, but as Jordan notes the amount of cleaning time normally drops considerably after the first cleaning or two after installing DBC.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Allen,

The $800 I spent on a Hawkeye borescope seemed a bit much at the time, but proved to be some of the best firearm related money I've spent. A good borescope would answer most, if not all of your questions. An inquiring mind, like yours, needs information and this is the best (only) way to get it.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1minute, 270cowboy, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 280shooter, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,751
Posts18,457,834
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.