Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
So in the spirit of the Terminal Ballistics thread (grin), I thought I would share a theory/observation about accuracy and groups and the results of a small test I shot today. To begin, with before someone says it- buy a gun, shoot decent bullets, practice, and go kill something. The rest is just gack. However, I like to operate on facts and reality more than emotion and "feeling".

Like the "which bullet to use" threads, one that is often cussed and discussed is how many rounds and groups does it take to know what a guns accuracy is. Well I test everything. One thing that is obvious is that people way over estimate how accurate their rifles are. We see it almost every thread on this site alone: everyone says their gun is a 1/2 MOA/sub MOA/etc rifle.......... "if I do my part." Or even better "my _______ (insert rifle/load here) shoots to .633 MOA at _______ (insert distance here)." Between teaching, competition and work I see several hundred thousand rounds a year fired. Everything from Military issued sniper rifles and M4's, to long range competition guns, to Pre 64 Model 70's in 270Win. In all those rounds fired I have yet to see a hunting weight rifle chambered in 24 caliber (6mm) or larger average, for multiple groups, under .5 of an inch at 100 yards on demand on the spot. For sure there has been some that will average 3x 3 round groups shot back to back with no called fliers under 1 inch (truly only a few at that), but not one that would do 5x 3 round groups, 3x 5 round groups, or 1x 10 round group averaged at .5 inch or under. The only guns I see that will do it are purpose built LR competition rifles.

I've had a running $100 bet in my classes and at training for anyone that can shoot 5x 3 round groups, 3x 5 round groups, or one 10 round group under .5 inch at 100 yards on demand, back to back with no called fliers, no excuses, and no bs with a hunting rifle. Not once has anyone been able to take the money even though fully 50% swore up and down they had a 1/2 MOA rifle......... "if I do my part".... If the rifle is sandbagged there should be no fliers. There should be no- "if I do my part". If you can't do your part sandbagged, stop referencing how accurate your gun could be and learn to press a trigger and stop flinching.

Of course it is human nature to remember the good and forget the bad, and so it goes with grouping. Forgetting the human part of it and only speaking to the mechanical part I have had a long standing theory (and I'm sure someone else has thought it before me) that 1x 10 round group will show what that gun/bullet system is going to do day in and day out on demand. And really what good is anything if it cannot be repeated on demand? Likewise 3x 5 round groups averaged with all rounds counting (i.e. no called "fliers") will do it and give you nearly identical results to the 10 round group. Now everyones favorite- the 3 round group. The stated reasons for using 3 rounds for a group is because, in no particular order- "it's a hunting rifle, it will never shoot more than 3 rounds at an animal" , "it has a thin barrel that walks when it gets hot", "3 rounds wastes less ammo" , "5 and 10 round groups test the shooter more than the rifle", etc, etc....

And that all may be true. Unfortunately 3 rounds does not tell us anything about what that rifle will statistically do on any given shot fired. Even a couple of 3 round groups isn't enough. It's just not a big enough sample size. Especially when shooters start not counting bad shots/groups because of "fliers" or because "I pulled it". Shooting sandbagged, unless that round is 8 inches away from my half inch group, it counts! I have seen time and time again guns that the owner said shot .5moa/1 moa/ etc groups mechanically consistently miss targets that they shouldn't have.

Today I setup a small test during relays in a military class. I shot 5x 3 round groups on individual targets with a backer containing the composite of all 3rnd groups for a total of 15 rounds. Then I shot 1x 10 round group with a backer catching all 10 rounds and the previous 15 rounds from the 3 round groups for a total of 25 rounds. Then I shot 3x 5 round groups with the backer containing all 40 rounds fired. This lets us measure each individual group and also see where the crossover point is that the groups get no larger.

The rifle used is my Recce/designated marksmen rifle. Chambered in 223 with a 16 inch stainless match free floated barrel cut with a Wilde chamber, and a JP Duty trigger at 3 pounds. Scope is a Leupold Mark4 6x40. Ammo was contract issued 60gr V-Max loaded to 5.56 spec.

Here is the rifle with the targets from all groups-

[Linked Image]

Having shot dozens of groups with this rifle I know it will go 1.5 to 2 inches for 10 rounds with this particular ammo. For sure it will shoot a bunch of 3 and 5 rounds groups under an inch but it will also "throw" one every now and then. It averages 1-1.25 MOA for 10 rounds with match ammo. The size of the groups doesn't matter only their relation to each other. This gun was perfect because it is just accurate enough for you to expect most 3 and 5 round groups to be about an inch just like most hunting rifles.

The range to the targets was 100 yards with 20 foot high berms on three sides. The rifle was sandbagged on a bench.

The pictures of each group will be posted below with the size of the group in inches written in marker to the right of the black bull. Group #2 of the 3 round groups was accidentally tacked over and isn't shown, however I do have the size recorded and you can see the shots in the 3x 3 round composite target. Also the composite 3x5 round backer was thrown away or shot, but again I do have the group size recorded.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Target used is a 25 yard NRA Pistol Bull with a 1 inch orange dot.

1st- 3 round group-
[Linked Image]

2nd- 3 round group measured 1 and 1/8th of an inch.

3rd- 3 round group-
[Linked Image]

Composite of 3, 3 round groups-
[Linked Image]

So at 3 groups of 3 rounds we have an average of 1 and 3/8ths of an inch.

4th- 3 round group-
[Linked Image]
Now it would be real easy to call that one shot a flier or say it was pulled, but was it?....

5th- 3 round group-
[Linked Image]

Composite of 5, 3 round groups-
[Linked Image]

So the average of five, 3 round groups is just under 2 inches (1 and 15/16ths to be exact).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice shooting. That had to be fun. Being a statistical weenie at times, I had this thought. Shouldn't some standard deviation analysis be applied here? It's already used to measure variance in velocity. Most newer chrono's print it out. Why not apply it to groups?

The standard deviations of shots from the statistical center of a ten shot group could be determined. If there were a number of groups, like you shot, the standard deviation in group size could also be determined.

Might be helpful. Might not. In either case, it means more shooting. That's not all bad.

Last edited by Rubeus_Hagrid; 08/21/12.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
1st five round group-

[Linked Image]

2nd five round group-

[Linked Image]

3rd five round group-

[Linked Image]

So for 3 groups of five rounds we have an average of right at 1 and 3/4ths of an inch. (kind of like just under 2 inches......hmmm)

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
10 round group-
[Linked Image]

The 10 round group measures 1 and 3/4ths of an inch. The same size as the 3x five round groups, and within .25 of an inch of the 5x three round groups.

Here is a composite of the 5, three round groups and the 10 round group the orange dot is 2 inches-
[Linked Image]

Notice that one shot from group 4 of three rounds doesn't really look all that much like a flyer anymore....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOA? I don't know, don't care. Here is a 9-round target from the .308 Win I just sold:
[Linked Image]

Better yet, 10 rounds from my 7mm RM, shot in very gusty, 40+mph crosswinds (the radio guy said the winds were hitting 60-mph and better).
[Linked Image]

3 rounds works for me most of the time. My favorite rifle, a Ruger M77 .257 Roberts I picked up used:
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
So in the spirit of the Terminal Ballistics thread (grin), I thought I would share a theory/observation about accuracy and groups and the results of a small test I shot today. To begin, with before someone says it- buy a gun, shoot decent bullets, practice, and go kill something. The rest is just gack. However, I like to operate on facts and reality more than emotion and "feeling".

Like the "which bullet to use" threads, one that is often cussed and discussed is how many rounds and groups does it take to know what a guns accuracy is. Well I test everything. One thing that is obvious is that people way over estimate how accurate their rifles are. We see it almost every thread on this site alone: everyone says their gun is a 1/2 MOA/sub MOA/etc rifle.......... "if I do my part." Or even better "my _______ (insert rifle/load here) shoots to .633 MOA at _______ (insert distance here)." Between teaching, competition and work I see several hundred thousand rounds a year fired. Everything from Military issued sniper rifles and M4's, to long range competition guns, to Pre 64 Model 70's in 270Win. In all those rounds fired I have yet to see a hunting weight rifle chambered in 24 caliber (6mm) or larger average, for multiple groups, under .5 of an inch at 100 yards on demand on the spot. For sure there has been some that will average 3x 3 round groups shot back to back with no called fliers under 1 inch (truly only a few at that), but not one that would do 5x 3 round groups, 3x 5 round groups, or 1x 10 round group averaged at .5 inch or under. The only guns I see that will do it are purpose built LR competition rifles.

I've had a running $100 bet in my classes and at training for anyone that can shoot 5x 3 round groups, 3x 5 round groups, or one 10 round group under .5 inch at 100 yards on demand, back to back with no called fliers, no excuses, and no bs with a hunting rifle. Not once has anyone been able to take the money even though fully 50% swore up and down they had a 1/2 MOA rifle......... "if I do my part".... If the rifle is sandbagged there should be no fliers. There should be no- "if I do my part". If you can't do your part sandbagged, stop referencing how accurate your gun could be and learn to press a trigger and stop flinching.

Of course it is human nature to remember the good and forget the bad, and so it goes with grouping. Forgetting the human part of it and only speaking to the mechanical part I have had a long standing theory (and I'm sure someone else has thought it before me) that 1x 10 round group will show what that gun/bullet system is going to do day in and day out on demand. And really what good is anything if it cannot be repeated on demand? Likewise 3x 5 round groups averaged with all rounds counting (i.e. no called "fliers") will do it and give you nearly identical results to the 10 round group. Now everyones favorite- the 3 round group. The stated reasons for using 3 rounds for a group is because, in no particular order- "it's a hunting rifle, it will never shoot more than 3 rounds at an animal" , "it has a thin barrel that walks when it gets hot", "3 rounds wastes less ammo" , "5 and 10 round groups test the shooter more than the rifle", etc, etc....

And that all may be true. Unfortunately 3 rounds does not tell us anything about what that rifle will statistically do on any given shot fired. Even a couple of 3 round groups isn't enough. It's just not a big enough sample size. Especially when shooters start not counting bad shots/groups because of "fliers" or because "I pulled it". Shooting sandbagged, unless that round is 8 inches away from my half inch group, it counts! I have seen time and time again guns that the owner said shot .5moa/1 moa/ etc groups mechanically consistently miss targets that they shouldn't have.

Today I setup a small test during relays in a military class. I shot 5x 3 round groups on individual targets with a backer containing the composite of all 3rnd groups for a total of 15 rounds. Then I shot 1x 10 round group with a backer catching all 10 rounds and the previous 15 rounds from the 3 round groups for a total of 25 rounds. Then I shot 3x 5 round groups with the backer containing all 40 rounds fired. This lets us measure each individual group and also see where the crossover point is that the groups get no larger.

The rifle used is my Recce/designated marksmen rifle. Chambered in 223 with a 16 inch stainless match free floated barrel cut with a Wilde chamber, and a JP Duty trigger at 3 pounds. Scope is a Leupold Mark4 6x40. Ammo was contract issued 60gr V-Max loaded to 5.56 spec.

Here is the rifle with the targets from all groups-

[Linked Image]

Having shot dozens of groups with this rifle I know it will go 1.5 to 2 inches for 10 rounds with this particular ammo. For sure it will shoot a bunch of 3 and 5 rounds groups under an inch but it will also "throw" one every now and then. It averages 1-1.25 MOA for 10 rounds with match ammo. The size of the groups doesn't matter only their relation to each other. This gun was perfect because it is just accurate enough for you to expect most 3 and 5 round groups to be about an inch just like most hunting rifles.

The range to the targets was 100 yards with 20 foot high berms on three sides. The rifle was sandbagged on a bench.

The pictures of each group will be posted below with the size of the group in inches written in marker to the right of the black bull. Group #2 of the 3 round groups was accidentally tacked over and isn't shown, however I do have the size recorded and you can see the shots in the 3x 3 round composite target. Also the composite 3x5 round backer was thrown away or shot, but again I do have the group size recorded.

Nice write-up bro...I like it...I have never had or seen a 1/2 moa rifle either (given your guidelines)....I have been working on my CZ 550 in 9.3x62mm lately and it is showing some real promise..I generally shoot 5 shot groups because I like flinging lead (partitions at that eek)....

Keep in mind these are loads being worked up in this rifle....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now I feel you when you say "called flyers"....This just means I suck and flinched or something grin...Nobody's perfect, especially me grin:

[Linked Image]

These last 2 pics are how it does with the 270 gr. speer's....:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-94.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/005-51.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-88.jpg[/img]

This rifle is "new to me" and hasn't been fired too much. The majority of the groups fired during load development have been at or sub moa...Got lucky with this old elk getter grin....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Here is the composite of all groups. 40 rounds total.

[Linked Image]

Just with this little sample (and 40 rounds is a little sample) it tells me that 96% or so of all rounds fired will fall within a 1 and 3/4 inch circle. Yes there are quite a few groups half that size, but notice that the groups didn't just get larger- they shifted placement on the target creating the overall group size. This is why 3 round groups by themselves do not show you what the gun really will do day in and day out unless you shoot multiple, multiple 3 round groups and average them counting all shots!!!

This was with one gun on one day, however I see it with hundreds of guns a year. I personally do not care how someone measures accuracy, they could shoot one shot and claim they have a 0 MOA gun for all I really care (and this is how we get all the claims of sub MOA Kimber Montanas....) But if you want to know how your gun really does shoot and not just cherry picked groups, in my experience this is how you do it.

I look foreword to the discussion smile

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
BSA,

I said it before but that is one reason I enjoy seeing your posts; you actually show 5+ round groups generally sighted in with very few, to no, excuses and no taped up holes. I always think to myself- why show a group that isn't even close to being zeroed, and has tape all around it...?

Btw- that gun shoots very well and I would use it just about anywhere.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Looks like a classic case of poor light-rifle shooting technique.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was a Kimber Montana thread. smile

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
BSA,

I said it before but that is one reason I enjoy seeing your posts; you actually show 5+ round groups generally sighted in with very few, to no, excuses and no taped up holes. I always think to myself- why show a group that isn't even close to being zeroed, and has tape all around it...?

Btw- that gun shoots very well and I would use it just about anywhere.

Thanks buddy...Like I said earlier, I haven't had a chance to shoot this rifle very much at all..I've only got about 55 pieces of Norma brass that the original owner passed on to me when I bought the rifle..I think I have pics of all the groups I've shot with it....The guy I bought the rifle frome used this rifle in Africa for DG and bragged about how it would outshoot his 222...I didn't doubt what he told me, but was still pleasantly surprised...I'm going to stick with the 286 gr. partitions, as I just bought 250 from shooters pro shop. I'll probably take it out this weekend and run another 20-30 rounds through it just to make up my mind on the 58.5 and 59 gr. loadings....I'm thinking 59 right now, but we'll see....Good thread and I am in agreement with you. I've seen a lot of guys shoot and have competed with a lot of good shooters to know that true 1/2 moa rifles/shooters just arn't the norm....I'm sure an all out benchrest rifle will do it, but whats the fun in that???? My rifles are hunting weight rifles that I enjoy the hell out of, not some heavy azzed pig that lays in the sandbags and doesn't move when you pull the trigger...I just don't see the fun in that....Let those sob's try shooting one of our rifles off the rocks, bi-pods, or in a field position at a nice buck at a lasered 600 yards and see wtf happens...... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice series of posts. Your conclusion that rifle, and shooter, accuracy should be based on solid data is certainly valid and well taken. The lesson, and perhaps it's preaching to the choir, is the occasional cloverleaf at 100 yards doesn't mean you're good to 400. More data is required. That said, I'm still gonna brag on the occasional good group.

FWIW, you've inspired my inner statistical weanie so over the next month or so, I might do some standard deviation work on some of my groups.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The following targets are all 308Win/155gr Scenar. Shot from Remington 700 varmint barrels.

I've found in general a 3-shot group will identify a bad load, but may not tell the whole story on a decent load.
[Linked Image]

5-shot groups keep everybody pretty honest, good or bad.
[Linked Image]

10-shot groups give me full confidence in a load, and that my zero is well centered.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Getting out to 300yds or so is also a good test.

10-shot at 100, and 350 yards, wind was working.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The following targets are all 308Win/155gr Scenar. Shot from Remington 700 varmint barrels.

I've found in general a 3-shot group will identify a bad load, but may not tell the whole story on a decent load.
[Linked Image]

5-shot groups keep everybody pretty honest, good or bad.
[Linked Image]

10-shot groups give me full confidence in a load, and that my zero is well centered.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Getting out to 300yds or so is also a good test.

10-shot at 100, and 350 yards, wind was working.
[Linked Image]

Very nice honest representation there lefty.....I need to try some 155 scenars one of these days..I've got 500 of the bastids waiting (on standby)....My 300 wsm shoots pretty good with the good ol hornady hunting bullet (165 gr. interlock):

5 shot group:
[Linked Image]

Typical 10 shot groups:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/009-20.jpg[/img]

10 shot group fired right before deer season last year...:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/0921111924.jpg[/img]

10 shot Group fired at 160 yards (11 shots total if you include the sighter/fouler):
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-43.jpg[/img]

My new 300 wsm doesn't like this load as well as my FN PBR XP though frown.......8 shots fired (a hair over 1 moa.):
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-85.jpg[/img]
Above group fired with my 2008 limited edition model 70 with recently purchased $65.00 EW take off barrel screwed on:

I see some 180 partition loads in its near future though grin

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice job with this write up.

In a similar vein, consistently hitting a 1 moa target (like the snipers hide dot drill) is worlds more challenging than shooting the standard 3 shot 1 moa group. Very few "1 moa" guns/shooters could clean even a 5 dot/shot 1 moa drill, much less a 20 round drill.

Going through my targets from over the years, it's easy to find two or three tight 3 shot groups on a target, that are centered in different spots despite a lack of scope adjustment. While it might make for a low benchrest style "agg", it isn't representative of what size target can be hit on command.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Excellent post and better reading than much of the stuff I see in todays hook and bullet rags. It is also one of the reasons I don't shoot much for groups any more. Well that and I just don't have the time. Never the less all of the posts show some nice shooting and more importantly to me a bunch of potentially dead deer and varmints.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only really care where the first 2 shots hit with a cold fouled barrel. I shoot another just for grins. I'm a hunter.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I personally don't think it's fair to compare hunting guns to V or T rifles. Theres a lot more than just a thinner barrel that heats up to make it harder to produce those 5 & 10 shot groups. Slimmer forestocks & lower power scopes come to mind.
That said I also certainly don't believe a single 3 shoot group will tell the story. I personally like 2 x 3 shot groups just to indicate potential. I also don't understand why you don't throw out flyers. I can usually "feel" a bad shot before I check targets, guess it depends on the reason your shooting those groups, are you testing the guns capability or the shooters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fair or not, the points are all valid.
whether they address anything that asks for addressing in the "hunting rifles" forum is another issue.

when i read threads like this i wonder if it isn't very slow and boring in the "long range hunting" forum.

still, i do get bored listening to everyone who can post a pic of a tight 3 shot grouping talking bullshit about their rifle(s) and how accurate they are...

i made a brief foray for squirrels yesterday afternoon... walked out the back fencerow and took 2 squirrels within a couple hundred yards of the house...
both headshot with my old rem 552. one at ~50ft, the other at 35-40 yds.

this rifle has never been shot off sandbags, or a bench...

been carrying the M70 25-06 on my morning walks for a week now... i have 3 separate 8" sq. chunks of steel hung in safe shooting spots on the ridge i walk. i take one shot from a field position every day, and i either hit or i miss...
the 3 gongs afford me various distances and field shooting positions. not having much luck yet with the stony point shooting sticks, but all else is well....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good reading thread. For my hunting rifles, I like to shoot multiple cold barreled one shot groups overlaying each for a composite. I think this really tells me if I am going to know where that first shot is going. Also shoot 3 and 5 shot groups for load development. Just me....

Last edited by lastround; 08/22/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 31 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.