Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well hell Alan, if I was 1000 miles closer I would drive out and do it just to watch you shoot.

Dave

BP-B2

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I'll try and take some pics in the am of the canyon I shoot in and post them. Another month and the Gambel oaks and quakies will be turning. Down right purdy!

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Hey Scenarshooter! (and all those challenged with handloading)
Here's what the 130 Swift Scirocco does out of my .264 Winchester Magnum...

[Linked Image]

I think this is a special bullet (as told to me by a good friend, and my experience confirms it) as its construction, BC, and devastation on meat is second to none!

If you are elk hunting or any other big game hunting, the .264 mm Swift Scirocco rules!

....and that's at 3250.

I wouldn't think of shooting any of the bullets mentioned here which all happen to be of lesser construction, into an elk at that velocity. At the anemic velocities produced by the 6.5x47 and .260 smile you could probably get away with shooting a tin foil bullet like the Berger

grin

I like the way you think grasshopper! And your opinion that mine needed to be seated at .060" off turned out to be entirely correct thus illustrating that even the master can learn from the student! grin

Good to hear it woods! You'll never learn as much from me as I have from you!

Originally Posted by smokepole
Hey Scenarshooter! (and all those challenged with handloading)
Here's what the 130 Swift Scirocco does out of my .264 Winchester Magnum...

I think this is a special bullet (as told to me by a good friend, and my experience confirms it) as its construction, BC, and devastation on meat is second to none!

If you are elk hunting or any other big game hunting, the .264 mm Swift Scirocco rules!

Tell me again why "devastation on meat" is a good thing?

I might have gotten carried away with that statement.

I meant that from what I have experienced, the bullet stays intact well and penetrates well. I haven't killed anything larger than a small Barbary sheep and a few coyotes with it out of my .264, but from what I see I would have no problem using it on elk at the high velocities the .264 WM produces.

It has a better BC than the other bullets mentioned, better construction than the bullets mentioned with comparable BC's, and it actually expands and holds together mushrooming larger than the monometal bullet mentioned.

At the velocities we are talking about with the 6.5x47, a monometal is unnecessary and may pencil through.

I've shot the 130 and 140 accubonds and was disappointed.

The 140's have too much bearing surface. Low velocities when pressure is found. The 130's were fair but the Swift Scirocco blew them away with BC, construction, and accuracy.

Alan,
The Barnes look good out of your rifle. And for elk, given what you have on hand, are the one to stick with IMHO.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't doubt that the Scirocco's a good bullet, but just curious as to how you can conclude this:

....and it actually expands and holds together mushrooming larger than the monometal bullet mentioned.

In light of this?:

I haven't killed anything larger than a small Barbary sheep and a few coyotes with it out of my .264,

The reason I ask is that the 130 Scirocco is a bullet I'm interested in for elk, just couldn't get it to shoot as good as a 140 Berger in my last .264 WM. Maybe with the new barrel that's just about done I'll give it another go.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RC - have you shot game w/the 130 AB?

Looks like the concensus still is that some bullets are fickle - heard that about the 140 AB as well as the 130 SSII's.

I am sure chamber dimensions/throat leades, twist rates, etc. matter, as does how fast your rifle/round is pushing.

I like high bc's, but running the 'highest bc bullet' is never my end goal. If it works out that they are highly accurate and do well when impacting game i.e. expansion w/penetration, then that's great.

I am sure whatever Alan uses, his knife will see service.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't doubt that the Scirocco's a good bullet, but just curious as to how you can conclude this:

....and it actually expands and holds together mushrooming larger than the monometal bullet mentioned.

In light of this?:

I haven't killed anything larger than a small Barbary sheep and a few coyotes with it out of my .264,

The reason I ask is that the 130 Scirocco is a bullet I'm interested in for elk, just couldn't get it to shoot as good as a 140 Berger in my last .264 WM. Maybe with the new barrel that's just about done I'll give it another go.

My conclusion is from seeing the wounds in my animals. Also from a friends experience who is a guide on his own ranch. He shot a bull elk in the head to put it down after a tracking job. They recovered the Scirocco in the skull and it was a perfect mushroom. I also hunted Oryx with him and when we were processing his bull, a Scirocco fell out from under the skin. Again, a textbook mushroom with at least 80% weight retention.

I've found them to really like a certain seating depth so I would concentrate there on a few tests before you give up.

6br,
I haven't killed anything with the 130 AB, but I had 180 out of my .300 fail and schrapnel on a mule deer on a really close shot. Bow range. They work well at rifle ranges.

A side note: I heard that Nosler toughened up the Ballistic Tips. I had an experience that confirmed it. I bet they are close in performance now to the AB. It was a good change.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had fantastic results with the Scirocco out of my 260 Ack, but it took a while to find the seating depth it liked. I also shoot the Scirocco out of my 6.5 Creed and they shoot 1/2 pretty consistent and with the first load I tried, may have just gotten lucky with the right depth the first time.

Last edited by Mod7Nut; 08/19/12.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by GSSP
I've completed my accuracy testing and all three are 1/2 to 3/4 MOA shooters. Velocites are similar for the first two, 2800 fps, but the third runs 2940 fps. Quary will be elk, whitetail or mule deer in Western Montana, 1st week of their season; 3rd Saturday. Any experience with the three? Good? Bad? Success or failures?

127 LRX, .468 bc
130 AB, .488 bc
130 VLD, .552 bc

Alan

I shot this buck with a 6.5 130gr Accubond. Hit him through both lungs and he ran maybe 30 yards before going down. Exit wound was maybe half dollar sized.

[Linked Image]

...and this pig.

[Linked Image]

with this 6.5 130gr accubond.

[Linked Image]

The pig measured 60" from the tip of his nose to the base of his tail and 30" from the bottom of his front hoof to the top of his shoulder. Recovered the accubond from under the gristle shield on the off side.

Shot this buck with a 6.5 130gr VLD.

[Linked Image]

Very slightly quartering away at 230 yards. No exit wound and he ran maybe 50 yards give or take.

...and this coyote with a 6.5 VLD.

[Linked Image]

He was quartering to me. Bullet exited and I found a chunk of lung the size of a card deck behind the song dog.

... and this bobcat with another 6.5 130gr VLD.

[Linked Image]

He was bout 130 yards. VLD left a baseball sized exit.

...and this pig with a couple of 6.5 130gr VLDs.

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/35f1d3e2.jpg[/img]

He jumped up in the tall grass at about 15 feet from me and I was able to get crosshairs on him by about 25 feet and put one in him. Though poorly placed, that pretty much stopped him within a few feet and I put another in him to finish. Neither exited and I did no autopsy, but he was instantly too sick to keep moving.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 08/19/12. Reason: add picture

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RDW
Well hell Alan, if I was 1000 miles closer I would drive out and do it just to watch you shoot.

RDW,

Here ya go. Taken this am.

Alan

I either sit to the left of the sage brush or go prone to the right of the sage brush.

[Linked Image]

My set up at 717 yds. I can get out to 950, may 980.

[Linked Image]

Looking the other way towards where I shoot from.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GSSP; 08/20/12.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is beautiful and depressing at the same time...

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unbelievably beautiful rifle range you got there Alan!

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
All Summer, while my 14yr old son has not been in school (sleeping in), I could run up while the roosters were crowing, and shoot some grin . Though I always had to be home by 9 since I have to get my wife, up, fed, dressed and off to dialysis. Most folks can't wait 'til schools back in session.....Not me! Now, I have to get him up by 6 or 7 am to get him out the door by 7:30 cry Now, I'll likely only get to shoot on Saturday mornings cry cry

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 08/20/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pics Alan, hate to know what your range fees are wink

Hondo- also great pics, my go to bullet is the 130AB, but I have a box of hunting vlds to try on a deer. Good reports on them for deer, esp. thru lungs.

Prob try VLD, 129SST after that, and 120 TTSX, just because I like to learn - and on deer I might add.

Still prefer the 130AB for all around, as I'd as soon hit deer at long range thru lungs (where you need expansion) or an elk at close range thru shoulder if necessary. A 125 Partition would also do fine, but AB might trump a little in stats.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No flies on the 130gr Accubond. On the same day I killed the animals pictured above, I also killed these:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got pass throughs with about quarter to half dollar sized exits on them. That big black monster in my previous post was the only one to stop a 130gr Accubond, and he stopped two of them.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, everytime I see those pics, 2 things come to mind, why I sold my 1885 in 243, and why I passed on a couple of beautiful 260s I could have had for under $700 yrs ago....

I think I hesitated b/c the Browning specs showed twist rates of either 9 or 10" though later found out they shoot fine w/129s and 130s, all you need.

Enjoy the pics of your hunts and rifle. They are handy deadly works of art, and hunting tools.

Wish Browning still mfg vs Winchester, and the wood quality was like the original. I could do w/a satin finish as the gloss is almost too pretty to hunt with smile

Surprised you needed 2 bullets on that hog, probably just to do the humane thing and finish the job fast, the right thing.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Actually used two accubonds on two of those pigs. One of them was not needed, but just insurance. That one (the top one in the above post) went down immediately for a few seconds then got back up and started running so I hit him again. He would have died quickly, had I let him, as I had put the first accubond through both lungs, but pigs are just dang tough...

The second shot on the black one was definitely needed. He was running straight away from me at 200 yards when I caught him directly in the poop chute. He went down in the hind quarters immediately, allowing me to catch up to him. When I did, he was up on his front legs popping his very large tusks at me and I put another through him broadside. That is the one I recovered.

Here's a couple of more I shot with 115gr VLDs from my .257 Wby. I hit the top one broadside through both lungs at (IIRC) a bit under two hundred yards. He went maybe twenty yards, leaving a massive blood trail. The other was running dead away from me at over two hundred yards and I put a 115gr VLD directly in her poop chute and she went down immediately. Very dead by the time I got to her...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome pictures of all the animals!

Good luck GSSP, looks like your rifle is shooting really well! Good luck with it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I didnt' like the 130 AB's so much. I used the 130 gr. Matrix Bonded FB last year to take a WT buck,MV was about 3050 and hit him inside 100 yards...two holes and good amount of damage (high double lung shot). Deer piled 20-30 yards away. This is in a 6.5-06 .

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by Grand
GSSP:

"36.3 gr Varget, CCI BR primer, .030" off the lands, 2805 fps av, 15 es, 4 sd, 8 shots, .65 MOA group, 24.5" 8tw Broughton 5C barrel."

What cartridge are you loading for? This load seems light for velocity?

6.5x47 Lapua; the BEST of the 6.5mm's out there! grin

Alan
130's???????

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Sorry. Yes, 130 gr.

Alan

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.