Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rj308
I believe a lot of the mystique of the pre-64 M70 is just that. The stocks on the M70 Classic models are much better in looks and fit that the pre-64's and when the newer ones get as old as the pre-64's, they will be as smooth or smoother because of better machining tolerances of todays technology. Lets separate thr BS from the Sho-nuff. Most of the crap about the pre-64's being so superior to all other M70's is in peoples imagination.
No, stock fit is much better on the pre-64 guns. What about the control round feed of the pre 64 guns?

And you think that the new guns are going to get better/smoother because the action will polish itself as it gets worked for decades? Thats just funny.

Last edited by Cartod; 01/16/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cartod
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
I know...aluminum receiver...crap etc. Well since I don't beat my guns the aluminum is just fine and makes the gun somewhat lighter. Does it open all the way to eject holding it up and depressing the button? I don't know, and don't care as I never do that anyway.
I just used that demonstration as a way to show how well the old winchester parts were fit and polished. I am sorry I angered you. Good luck with your choice.

Whoa....not angry. Just stating something is all. I appreciate you comments...really. Sorry you took it the wrong way. Was not intended to relay being upset....not at all.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rj308
I believe a lot of the mystique of the pre-64 M70 is just that. The stocks on the M70 Classic models are much better in looks and fit that the pre-64's and when the newer ones get as old as the pre-64's, they will be as smooth or smoother because of better machining tolerances of todays technology. Lets separate thr BS from the Sho-nuff. Most of the crap about the pre-64's being so superior to all other M70's is in peoples imagination.
No, stock fit is much better on the pre-64 guns. What about the control round feed of the pre 64 guns?

And you think that the new guns are going to get better/smoother because the action will polish itself as it gets worked for decades? Thats just funny.

Cartod....I believe all the new the FN made Model 70's do have the controlled feed. Like I said before, the FN South Carolina made Cabelas editions have further duplicated the pre-64 guns in certain features....wood, calibers etc.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For comparison....first photo is a pre-64 vs. second photo...Cabelas @ $1699. Older Model 70 is nearly twice that....think it was like $2999. This is the least fancy wood model that Cabelas offers.

* Found it....The older Model 70 is a pre-war, 1937 in .257 Roberts, priced at $3600

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/16/12.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's the limited in .257 Roberts @ #1799.........

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then by all means buy the less expensive one. It sure looks good. The pre war 70 you have pictured is either mint or refinished, the wood is way to light for a gun of that age.

Let us know how you like the new FN gun. I, for one, am curious.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Then by all means buy the less expensive one. It sure looks good. The pre war 70 you have pictured is either mint or refinished, the wood is way to light for a gun of that age.

Actually the reason I'm interested is the fact that Cabelas will be offering a Super Grade Lightweight in .257 Roberts. Trying to find a Remington 700 in either a Mountain or 83' Classic. Other choice might be a Browning White Gold Abolt in that caliber.

With the difficulty and prices on any of those in 95% plus condition, I'm considering the Cablas Model 70 with the extra fancy wood for more, but not a whole lot more, than the Browning.

I did just purchase a 2008 first year FN Model 70 in 270 WSM with really nice wood, out of state, but have not received it yet. I like the ones I've handled at the store though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Actually the reason I'm interested is the fact that Cabelas will be offering a Super Grade Lightweight in .257 Roberts. Trying to find a Remington 700 in either a Mountain or 83' Classic. Other choice might be a Browning White Gold Abolt in that caliber.

With the difficulty and prices on any of those in 95% plus condition, I'm considering the Cablas Model 70 with the extra fancy wood for more, but not a whole lot more, than the Browning.

I did just purchase a 2008 first year FN Model 70 in 270 WSM with really nice wood, out of state, but have not received it yet. I like the ones I've handled at the store though.

Just keep in mind that it is DEMAND that keeps the price so high on the pre 64 gun you are eye balling.

Let me also add that pre 64 guns in the more scarce calibers are becoming harder to find in original or even "true" condition. If you are not willing to do your homework on pre 64 guns, there are villans out there ready to take you for a ride. That is probably the biggest reason I can give not to fork over the $$$ to purchase a pre 64 Winchester M70.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cartod....I realize that much of the prices out there on pre-64 guns are driven by demand and rarity, and you're right, unless you know what you're doing on the rare gun side, you can get stung.

I've been doing a lot of researching the past few weeks on the new FN Model 70's and for the most part, even the die hard Model 70 collectors and owners seem to give them a thumbs up. Some have even gone as far to comment that they are the best yet. Whether that is true or not is strictly personal opinion and varies from person to person.

Think I'll head over to the local Cabelas this week and check them out again. I also want to see when and how many .257 Roberts they expect to get in locally. If I buy one, or in the case of this particular model, if I have to order one to get first pick when they arrive, I'll do so to make sure I get the best stocked one I can find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cartod....I realize that much of the prices out there on pre-64 guns are driven by demand and rarity, and you're right, unless you know what you're doing on the rare gun side, you can get stung.

I've been doing a lot of researching the past few weeks on the new FN Model 70's and for the most part, even the die hard Model 70 collectors and owners seem to give them a thumbs up. Some have even gone as far to comment that they are the best yet. Whether that is true or not is strictly personal opinion and varies from person to person.

Think I'll head over to the local Cabelas this week and check them out again. I also want to see when and how many .257 Roberts they expect to get in locally. If I buy one, or in the case of this particular model, if I have to order one to get first pick when they arrive, I'll do so to make sure I get the best stocked one I can find.
Well, I cant wait to tear one apart myself... smile

FN is one hell of a company and I cannot imagine they would put out something half baked.

Let me know if they shoot better than the original, but I am going to be hard pressed to buy an FN over an original. Even if the wood is fancier, and I like fancy wood.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cartod....Here's a couple pictures of the recent one I just bought. First year 2008 Limited Edition FN Model 70 Deluxe Featherweight in .270 WSM.

First year guns had Grade II wood, those 2009 and after had Grade I. This is nicer than Grade II in my opinion.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
nice rifles

but i just cant see paying that price for some fancy cabelas advertising on a rifle basically........

they got higher grade win 70 stocks for sale on gunbroker and guns america

you could buy a new sporter or featherweight 700-800ish depending on caliber and options(fn ones)and get a higher grade stock on one of those site on your own and still have plenty of money to put a real nice scope on it
and have a sweet hunting rifle
they also have plenty of NIB new haven crf,s floating around out their too
going for 650-800ish

now if getting one of the cabelas "special" to be a safe queen for collector value is the intended purpose then their is nothing bad in that

but if you shoot one of these fancy dressed up cableas advertisements
i imagine some of its future collector value it might have aquuired goes by the wayside then

i would rather have a collector winchester 70 assoiciated with some historical event or person
than have one being a gloirified advertisement for cabelas

jmo guys.....

Last edited by renegade50; 01/28/12.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here is my new M70 featherweight in .30-06.

[Linked Image]

The box says Cabelas High Grade, but the floor plate is plain with "CUSTOM HIGH GRADE" on it. I called Winchester they said it was a special run they made this summer. There are a few available on gunbroker. Very, very nice wood. Do you think the Cabelas versions were not selling as expected and they put new floor plates on the guns? It also has the same old school red recoil pad.

Thoughts?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Oh and if you are wondering it is a shooter... Until it gets hot after a few shots the group will begin to walk downwards, which is somewhat strange as all my light barreled guns walk UP.

In any case it is a hunting rifle so a five shot group is not an issue. So far all I've shot through it is some VOR-TX 150 grain TTSX's. Haven't had much time to work with it yet but it is well within MOA with the Barnes ammo.

You cant see it in the picture but there is also quite a bit of "tiger striping" in the fore end.

Last edited by timeoff2fish; 08/19/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn thats a beautiful rifle....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
C
How much was it going for? Any gunbroker link? Thats exactly what I am looking for.

30 mike mike
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the featherweight high grades better than the "cabela's 50th anniversary" rifles....The floorplates on the cabela's rifles are very tacky. I too like my 2008 limited edition rifle as the wood is much better than the rifles made after the first year intro's....Here's a gunbroker listing for one of the featherweight highgrades (happens to be in 270 win):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=302659036

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the retro red pad and wish I could find a featherweight stock with that kind of wood some where.

I made my own deluxe version on this first year poduction of the 270wsm New Haven model. They were using the thin red pad back then but I did't like the grip cap so put a steel supergade cap on it and didn't like the gloss black alum tigger guard either so swapped for a Wiliams steel one. It added a little weight but I never bought the feather weight for the weight anyway.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by southwind; 08/23/12.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't own a FN 70, but the ones I have handled simply did not have to solid feel that the pre-64's have. I know that is a personal thing, and that the FN's are good rifles. But I'll take the craftsmanship and nostalgia of the pre-64.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Go to gunbroker look for auctions by Northern Firearms, which is the online store for Reeds Sporting Goods in MN. The rifles are listed as high grade. Great fast service, ground shipping included. You get to pick out your particular rifle from the online pictures. I am extremely satisfied with both their service and the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (12344mag, 160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.