24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the synthetic version, right handed in 270. The action is indeed made like a tank. Mine has always fed and extracted flawlessly. With a decent handload it occasionally will put 3 shots into half moa.

You are right, the blueing is really good. On the synthetic version the barrel has a pressure point at the front of the stock.

These are cheap rifles even here in Australia, where not much else can be described as cheap.

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,
i agree 100% with your comments regarding the LK M70. I purchased mine specifically beacuse of the calibre (7x57). I wouldnt have normaly bought one.
What I did to mine was the following:
1. sanded out the barrel channnel as there was a point where the barrel touched.
2. refinished the wood with tru-oil/mineral turpentine 50/50. Sand with 0000 steel wool between coats.
3. fitted a new recoil pad.
4. bedded the action.
5. scrapped the iron sights.

As the gun is a hunting rifle I aint too worried about its aesthetics. It shoots well with factory 140 grain loads.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For those who have managed to pick these rifles up, what are your impressions of the barrel contour relative to chambering? I went to pick mine up today (9.3x62) and K-Var had sent the wrong rifle (a completely different story) but the barrel is noticeably thin at the muzzle. When they get me the correct rifle, hopefully that won't be a cause for concern.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For my 7X57 the contour is light but not what I'd call too light, it really looks just right. .555" at the muzzle is almost the same as a Remington mountain rifle contour but the Remington has a different taper and is a lot light barrel.

Just put a scope on mine, Leupold FX-II 6X in Weaver mounts (only ones I had) and the rifle weighs 8 1/4 pounds, same as my Winchester 70 LT in .30-06. I first tried some low Weaver bases and the bolt handle would not clear the ocular bell, so I switched to some high bases I had. The scope sits too high now so I'll have to remedy that but it's okay for range work to see what loads the rifle likes.

Gus K - what scope mounts are you using? The only ones I can find on line are Weavers, Millet and Warne which are all Weaver style cross slot bases(and I've read the Warne's don't fit properly), and then the rear screw adjustable "standard" Leupold type bases. Talley makes some but apparently there are some issues with the fit of those as well due to so many variations of Mauser actions made over the years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There are lots of these leftie Zastavas around in Australia at the moment. They certainly are tempting for the money.

The 9.3 barrels are very very light, but seem to shoot ok.

The Talleys fit perfectly. I believe the correct ones are part 930709.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Morning Jim I got a 9.3x62 and put Leupold bases on but had to re contour the rear side of the rear base as the bolt hit it. two min with a fine file and some sandpaper. Some cold blue till I can get it reblued. If you move the .223 let me know please Clint

just for Fun
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That 7x57 seems a real bargain to me. It is hard to get a piece of would like that for the price. As fodder for a project rifle it has endless potential, from just some rasping and honing to full blown custom. I want one.

As for the bedding it is possible to almost match the wood with epoxy bedding. It is tricky when you mix in the sawdust it turns out the color of wet wood so you have to mix in lighter colored saw dust with some from the stock wood itself. Do several tests on scrap as the dry color is different again. May take several tries before you find the right mix of saw dust and pigment but when you do most people will have to be looking closely to notice it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
For my 7X57 the contour is light but not what I'd call too light, it really looks just right. .555" at the muzzle is almost the same as a Remington mountain rifle contour but the Remington has a different taper and is a lot light barrel.

Just put a scope on mine, Leupold FX-II 6X in Weaver mounts (only ones I had) and the rifle weighs 8 1/4 pounds, same as my Winchester 70 LT in .30-06. I first tried some low Weaver bases and the bolt handle would not clear the ocular bell, so I switched to some high bases I had. The scope sits too high now so I'll have to remedy that but it's okay for range work to see what loads the rifle likes.

Gus K - what scope mounts are you using? The only ones I can find on line are Weavers, Millet and Warne which are all Weaver style cross slot bases(and I've read the Warne's don't fit properly), and then the rear screw adjustable "standard" Leupold type bases. Talley makes some but apparently there are some issues with the fit of those as well due to so many variations of Mauser actions made over the years.

Jim,
the bases on my 7x57 were custom maade by my 'smith to ensure proper height.
I was unaware Talleys did fit!
Gus

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Couple of pictures of my very first load workup yesterday afternoon. Two bullets, four charge levels each from 46 to 49 grains of H4350. This rifle has a long throat so instead of chasing lands I just seated the bullets .284" deep, that left them approx. .230" off of the lands. Miles and miles away by looney standards. shocked

These are the third through sixth shots from this brand new rifle, the first two were getting on paper. Hornady 139 BTSP, 46.0 H4350, just over 2700 fps. One shot out at 11:00, then the other three are in the cluster measuring 9/16", i.e. just over a half inch.

[Linked Image]

The very best group of the day is at top here and measures 3/8" (I'm using a ruler, haven't dug out the calipers to get down to three decimal places yet.) Hornady 139 Spire Point, 47.0 H4350, just over 2750 fps. It did shoot some groups like the one below, that's another 139 SP with 49.0 H4350 avg. 2828 fps, but even that group is 1 1/8" which ain't horrible for a hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

You can see the groups all trended toward 2 close together and then one shot out. The light barrel does heat up fairly quickly in this Idaho summer heat and it is not free floating, it is bearing on the bottom of the channel for sure and there may be some side pressure.

But enough excuses, this rifle does not need to apoligize for not shooting 1/4" groups all day long out of the box. It definitely wants to shoot, now to get down to seeing what it likes to shoot its very best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My attraction to these LH Mausers is getting stronger all the time!
Got my eye on the one available in 6.5x57. Hope it sells before I do something rash.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In the interests of being as objective as possible, the actions are rough. I thought of taking some 600 grit paper to the rails and such, but when I got out my magnifying glass I realized sandpaper wouldn't cut it (literally) so I started with a file. We're not talking machining marks on teh rails, we're talking irregular sawtoothed surface. After dulling down the sawtooth edges on the back half of the rails I got out the 220 wet/dry and went to work on their bottom edges to break the edges.

I also hit the feed ramp, the raceways, the cocking cam and nose of the cocking piece, bottom of the extractor and outside of the lugs. They weren't too bad, really, they did have machining marks but they polished out pretty well. Went over everything again with 400 grit and also polished the surfaces of the follower with that.

After about two hours of fine sanding I can tell a difference in working the action but to be honest not a really big difference.

It's not like it doesn't feed, it's very positive in feeding, but it makes an out of the box Ruger 77 seem like a velvet smooth snick-snick action by comparison.

Later today if I have time I'm going to smother everything but the lugs in some lapping grit I have and work the heck out of the bolt. I have 220, 320 and 600 grit, will probably go with the 320.

Those Serbs did put the effort where it counts. The barrel is a good'un, obviously, and both lugs have pretty full contact, about 75 to 80% on both going by the magic marker test.

Diamond in the Rough, for sure.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More good news for reloaders. Headspace is about minimum as well.

Unfired R-P brass measures 3.796" to 3.797" using my Stoney headspace gauge - that's the measurement on the caliper with the tool in place.

Fired cases are coming out from 3.797" to 3.799", this from the lowest charge to highest. So even at top pressure unfired cases are only stretching .002" in their headspace measurement.

I wonder if, on the next group buy, we could ask Zastava to put as much effort into finishing the actions as they did into the barrels and chambering? Those would be some real fine shootin' irons. whistle

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I wonder if, on the next group buy, we could ask Zastava to put as much effort into finishing the actions as they did into the barrels and chambering? Those would be some real fine shootin' irons. whistle

I've heard that a finer fit and finish from Zastava is available. One their website, they also list the M98 which, I believe, is a more polished model. This comes with the more traditional "flag"-type safety. I'd be interested in checking into different options as well - other stock configurations (Mannlicher, hog-back), possibly SS, and barreled actions.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've read the same thing, they will produce a rifle to a certain price point whether low or high. In this case the attraction was a pretty low price as evidenced by the wood and lack of almost any polishing inside the action.

However, they will definitely slick up. I slathered lapping compound on my bolt and any possible contact points inside the action earlier today and worked the bolt about 150 times. Started with 220 grit - 150 cycles, cleaned that off, went to 320, another 150 cycles, cleaned that off and finished up with 600. Then I went over the more obvious surfaces again with 1000 grit wet/dry paper. My hand is sore but all the places that had rough machining marks now have a smooth mirror polish.

That definitely did the trick, the bolt glides very smoothly now. It still has the famous Mauser wobble so it will bind some if you put a lot of sideways pressure when closing the bolt, but even then it takes a lot more pressure than it used to. And with just a little practice you learn to push it in straight and clean.

If a fellow just wanted to be practical he could buy a Ruger 77 in 7mm-08 and have a bullet proof, accurate rifle without all of this labor. But I have to admit it is kind of fun to put all of this elbow grease into it and get these results. You might say the rifle and I are bonding... grin

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I did just about the same as you Jim and I like what I have, next I redo the stock going to take off alot of wood. as far as the ruger go's it would be easier but in the end you still would have a ruger not a LH mauser. Oh and both of my 6.5x55 shoot very good uder 1 moa

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Received a rifle a lot like Jim's for another poster and here are a few shots for comparison. The wood is truly nice throughout and hiding inside it is a very nice stock. The inletting is quite a bit better than Jim's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The owner should be along shortly to describe his reactions...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They messed up shipped Jim in Idaho my 7 X 57, but got it right on the 223.

There is a nice stock hiding in all that wood. Thanks Art for posting the pics. Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple on the way myself. An LK70 in .25-06 and a Mini in .223.

I figure a couple trips down the Tanana and Yukon Rivers with the blowing silt will smoothen them up with a little working of the actions.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This Mark X from Zavasta (circa 1970s or 80s?) is not a lefty but I have a chance to buy from a local FFL for $350. It's chambered in .243 with a 20" barrel. Stock seems in great shape as is bluing. No Pulitzer for these shots but you get the idea...Any comments?

Attached Images
Interarms 1r.jpg (85.63 KB, 682 downloads)
Interarms2r.jpg (95.89 KB, 1034 downloads)
Interarms3r.jpg (70.15 KB, 1049 downloads)
interarms4r.jpg (90.02 KB, 554 downloads)
interarms5r.jpg (89.5 KB, 1319 downloads)
Last edited by Kaumheimer; 08/28/12.

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Received a rifle a lot like Jim's for another poster and here are a few shots for comparison. The wood is truly nice throughout and hiding inside it is a very nice stock. The inletting is quite a bit better than Jim's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The owner should be along shortly to describe his reactions...

The rifle in these pics is a Model 85, this one's serial number is 3 digits from mine. The inletting on my Model 85 is also considerably better than the Model 70.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
209 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.