Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by arffdog875
I have the Forschner knives and butcher with them...just wish they made "good" sheaths for them! Tried packing the Forschners and they ended up poking out the side of my pack!

That could end up being somewhere between a real pain in the neck to a real pain in the arse depending on where it poked through. (grin)

The Alpha Wolf has always looked like it would be the most useful blade in their lineup for me with the Jaeger being a very close second. I can pass on all the rest. Make mine Suregrip/S30V while you're at it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Quote: Horse1 "Make mine Suregrip/S30V while you're at it."

Great knife, mine is just as above. Did the job on my bull elk last fall. Still shaves, but needs a touch up to bring it back to new. Was trying to decide what other knife to add to the pack. Thinking it will be a 2nd Alpha, same way.
Joe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the alpha wolf and love it, I have the Forschner knives and butcher with them...just wish they made "good" sheaths for them! Tried packing the Forschners and they ended up poking out the side of my pack!

Look up KYDEX sheaths on you tube and you'll find a ton of videos showing how to make sheaths for very little money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of their ulu's and the D2 steel is hard stuff. I used a carbide stone to rough the edge to my desired shape, and then my oil stones for finishing. Definitely a very durable edge.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/25/12.

1Minute
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the alpha wolf and love it, I have the Forschner knives and butcher with them...just wish they made "good" sheaths for them! Tried packing the Forschners and they ended up poking out the side of my pack!

You can get a plastic blade protector from a cooking store for a few bucks

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Forschner boning knives.

About 20 bucks a pop.

Every single professional meatcutter I've met over the last 30+ years uses them.

Sharp, flexible, lightweight and cheap.

6" Forschner 40513

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They work on bears, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have used one or two products from Knives of Alaska. They make a nice product that will do the job most definitely. My recommendation, just bite the bullet and spend a touch more and shoot Gene Ingram an email. They truly are a joy to use and handle. Every time I pull one out I smile ear-to-ear![Linked Image]

Now the only dangerous part is you can't own just one. Even more dangerous is that when you email him, ask if he has any on hand at-the-moment. grin

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Knife doesn't matter. Knowledge of anatomical construction of animal counts. I've butchered, quartered, elk with everything from specialty knives to a Buck stockman folder, they all work, if you know where to make your cuts.

Actually used a Gerber ax once for the whole job just to see if I could do it. Worked pretty well actually.

Oh yeah, whatever you use, it MUST be sharp, hold an edge well or be easily re-sharpened in the field.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
X2 forschener

Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Forschner boning knives.

About 20 bucks a pop.

Every single professional meatcutter I've met over the last 30+ years uses them.

Sharp, flexible, lightweight and cheap.

6" Forschner 40513

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They work on bears, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the alpha wolf as well, love it, but also carry one I got from my restaurant supply store, had to buy it as the clear sheath on it said it was called:
6" Flexible boner"
I couldn't pass it up hoping I never need another!

I have one with this shape and love it being easy to sharpen, easy to grip. Mine has the black handle which is great for winter/snow dressing, might need to get a white one for fall hunting as it is easy to lose a black one in thick brush if not careful.
http://www.standardrestaurant.com/ecom/app/stockDetail.action?stockNo=2983

Mine is made by Dexter Russell, similar to this one, but blade shape of the above
http://www.standardrestaurant.com/ecom/app/stockDetail.action?stockNo=11889

Keep Smiling
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have the pronghorn in black and love it. Stout and sharp. No staining issues so far, but I keep it pretty clean. Probably pick up the Jaeger this year. Like said earlier, it is hard to just use 1 knife. Johnny

Location: Bartlett, suburb of Memphis. Texas native, and can't wait to be a resident again!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 74 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.