Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
My daughter wants a funky paint job on the stock and I really dont want to order 5 bottles of cerakote and use only an ounce of each. Would it work to just krylon the stock and then hit it with cerakote clear satin to lock everything in and increase durability? The clears are air dry so heating the krylon is not an issue.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You could just top coat the colors with Krylon clear!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
My daughter wants a funky paint job on the stock and I really dont want to order 5 bottles of cerakote and use only an ounce of each. Would it work to just krylon the stock and then hit it with cerakote clear satin to lock everything in and increase durability? The clears are air dry so heating the krylon is not an issue.

That's a he!! of a idea. As long as everything is degreased well start to finish. I can not imagine why it wouldn't. Might just have to put a paint job on my Montana.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I used matte-clear Aluma-Hyde II on mine which is epoxy and holds up exceptionally well.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Krylon has no resistance to common gun cleaning chemicals. You must use an epoxy or urethane clear topcoat. Aluma-Hyde II is excellent for a no-bake epoxy finish.

RAN

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Im pretty satisfied with how well cerakote holds up to chemical and abrasion resistance, are the clears as tough as everything else?

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Clears are air dry as far as I remember. still pretty tough stuff

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Cerakote air cure or Duracoat clear work good.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks guys, the idea of five bottles and $200 worth of cerakote going bad was hurting the wallet pretty bad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used Krylon matte clear over Krylon camo, several coats. The clear coat sure seems DAMN durable. I carry that rifle on my conditioning hikes and long range shoots and I don't baby it and the paint job is perfect still.

My only complaints are that I can still smell it offgassing (or something!) 6 weeks later, and it's a bit shinier than I'd like. I may hit it with some 600 grit to matte it out a bit more.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I used Krylon matte clear over Krylon camo, several coats. The clear coat sure seems DAMN durable. I carry that rifle on my conditioning hikes and long range shoots and I don't baby it and the paint job is perfect still.

My only complaints are that I can still smell it offgassing (or something!) 6 weeks later, and it's a bit shinier than I'd like. I may hit it with some 600 grit to matte it out a bit more.

Make sure you don't get Bull Frog sunscreen on it...it will turn the Krylon tacky....been there,done that frown

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For some reason the Krylon clear never does worth a darn for me. A few months ago, I coated my Mcmillian A3 with od green krylon and black webbing, then added Duracoat clear over that. It has held up with 0 marks in it. You just have to let the Duracoat harden for about 2 weeks before you use it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always have used the Alumahyde clear over my krylon jobs with great results. As far as drying I typically have left it dry to the touch then hung it in my attic for a week. No smell and rock hard on several jobs thus far.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.