Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been using a long stabilizer on my Mathews DXT for the last 4 years. I have to take it on and off every time to put the bow back in the case. It would be nice to put on a short fat stabilizer on and keep it on at all times so I don't strip our the hole. The bow is dead on for hunting, I want to know how much the change will help or hurt my shooting?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't even use a stab on my hunting bow but I don't shoot bows that are 30" ATA either. They have quick release knuckles for stabs you can use, some bows have them built in like Martins.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use an 11.5" Octane, and transport my bow in a soft case, then just zip the case up to the stabilizer and let a few inches poke out the top. I use a Primos soft bow case most often, if you're wondering, but I also have a Blacks Creek. Never damaged a bow with either case, and don't have to remove anything.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know, I use a Spot Hogg, sight and I always used a stabilizer longer than the sight so it doesn't hit the ground when I lower the bow down from my stand. I never gave it any more thought than that. I go slow and I'm careful, but I know it's got to help protect the sight.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Anything over 8 to10 inches on a hunting bow is probably over-kill. I like the X-factor stabilizers for vibration kill over anything else.

I've used the Limbsaver S-coils a lot, and I think they do a good job of stopping vibration as well. I'm currently trying an Octane 8 inch, haven't really seen any results good or bad.

For chubby and weighted, I've used the short Doinkers especially when I needed to balance out a long or heavy sight. I've gotten away from them because of the added weight, didn't see a point in a 3.5 pound bow and 5 pounds of sight and stabilizer.

You probably won't see much difference with a shorter stab on a hunting bow, IMO, and it's much easier to swing in a blind or tree stand.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My stabilizer is 4.5". I like it...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tlfw; 08/06/12.

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Truglo Deadenator Xs.

4.6 OAL, works fine on my 31 inch ATA bow.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i currently use a stabilizer that is around 12" sticking forward and have yet to find a time where it has been a hindrance...whenever debates about how short stabilizers get in the way less i always bring up how the arrow on 90+% of shooters is sticking out 20 inches from your bow...yet nobody complains about that getting in their way when in a blind or etc. for me personally, i shoot a stabilizer in the 10-12" range with most of the weight on the end better than a short one..and for me accuracy is the most important factor to me..so i shoot the set up that makes me the most accurate

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm absolutely happy with my 8.5" fuse carbon blade hunter. With the offset stabilizer hole on my Hoyt Carbon Element it has been perfect.

Of course I stole my girlfriends 6.5" carbon blade and can't really claim I saw any difference.

Prior to that I shot the 8" Octane and had zero issues with it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just got myself a new B-stinger all black 12" pro hunter with 11 ounce weight that I will be trying on my 08 Guardian this season. I have a 7 inch octane on it currently and wanted to get a better balance and follow threw with the longer and heavier stab.

Andrew

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I shoot a 12" B-Stinger and have a quick-connect to take it on and off, though I never really take it off unless I put it in a hard case. Several turkey and deer the last couple of seasons and length has never been an issue from ground blind or tree. The weight forward design holds rock steady on target.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have played with a lot of stabilizers of different lenghts. What I have found is that anything under 10" isn't really helping balance out the bow. Though shorties do still tend to help take the viberation out. I like the B-Stingers and Doinkers the best out of so many I have tried. Perfect lenght for my set-up both release bow and finger bow is 11" to 12". However I take off one weight on my finger bow verses my release bow.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use a B-Stinger 10 inch with an 11 oz weight on my Mathews Z7 Extreme. It makes a difference for me. You have to do what feels right for you. Mine sticks out of my soft case but it doesn't bother me. I like the stability much better.

I have read most stabilizers that don't clear the limbs are more of vibration dampening than a stabilizer since they don't weigh that much or stick out far enough to help improve stability. There is a stablizer out there that is adjustable in and out but I can't remember the name of it.

Take a child hunting, fishing or trapping. They are the next generation of outdoors people.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.