Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Texas Multigun Championship's dates for 2013 have been announced.

4/19-21/2012 Vietnam theme this year.

Larue dropped out as a sponsor but Surefire stepped in, so it outta be a good time.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What happened to LaRue?? He's usually a very generous sponsor..

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard several rumors, but who knows. All the rumors involved drama, so I quit caring.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Drama and La Rue. who'da thunk it. grins.

I wish I had time to try to play that game a bit again. But not on a competitive level, just a keep sharp level. Always thought it was some good for keeping lubed up in case you ever did have to defend yourself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm gearing up for some local 3-gun matches. Just got Sevigny sights on my M&PL, gotta get a funnel and mag pads for it. I bought a pawnshop 1100 cheap, gotta get the barrel cut to 22in and choked, then mod the action and install sights. I need a better scope for my AR (Burris XTR 1-4X)

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When it got to the rifle, we alawys ran ours with irons. Not as fast of course but not too bad and good fun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
When it got to the rifle, we alawys ran ours with irons. Not as fast of course but not too bad and good fun.

I think the larger matches have an irons only class. I'm with you on 3-gun as training, combine that with F-class and you've covered most of the bases.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd love to be competitive... but 3 gun, IDPA more so than IPSC, and F class would/can teach a lot and keep one tuned.

Thats about the only negative of living rural, often matches are a long drive for us. The offshoot is I have 600 yards plus in my backyard to play with....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm a reluctant 3-gunner. I don't care for the format very much between the shotgun and things like leaving a pistol in a bucket as part of the course of fire. I do like the mix of short and long carbine shooting. Will be shooting the pro-am this weekend at Rockcastle.

Hope to do some real rifle shooting the following weekend with my 338 LM out to 2,400y.

RLTW
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The rifle shots at our local matches are about 20% 10 yardish, 10% 300-500 yards and 70% around 80 yards. A pretty good mix to keep you sharp.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't want to start a fight, but I am old school and in my opinion...from what I have seen of '3-gun' matches on TV,,,,that game is for people who don't know how to shoot.
I would like to see those guys shoot a 3 gun match with the following: rack grade 1911 in 45 hardball....an off the shelf M1 Garand 30-06 M118 (173gr ball)...and a new in the box Rem 870 12 gauge shooting high brass rounds.
Then I could tell if they knew how to shoot a real firearm.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
We use to do just that, field serviceable weapons and equipment, a test of your ability to think as well as shoot. Alas, the evolution of the competition mind set dictated what we have now. Bristling with multi-color mags, shotgun tubes that hold a half box of shells (weenie loads), and every gimmick available hung on a carbine that would probably go inop if you fell on it(or gash you from all the sharp edges). aahh well, I realize that scoring caused some modifications to be necessary, we tried our best for over 20 years.

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30mmplumber
I don't want to start a fight, but I am old school and in my opinion...from what I have seen of '3-gun' matches on TV,,,,that game is for people who don't know how to shoot.
I would like to see those guys shoot a 3 gun match with the following: rack grade 1911 in 45 hardball....an off the shelf M1 Garand 30-06 M118 (173gr ball)...and a new in the box Rem 870 12 gauge shooting high brass rounds.

And I'd like to see you take their gear and make the shots they do. It's easy to say "it's all gear", "it's an arms race" or whatever. Bring your "high brass" loads to a match and ask the top shooters to shoot against you. Or ask to shoot their gear, I'm sure they'd let ya.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

And I'd like to see you take their gear and make the shots they do. It's easy to say "it's all gear", "it's an arms race" or whatever. Bring your "high brass" loads to a match and ask the top shooters to shoot against you. Or ask to shoot their gear, I'm sure they'd let ya.

I agree. The top-tier guys are running sweet triggers (mostly AR Golds now) and low-mass carriers/buffers. That just shortens recoil impulse and the parts can easily be swapped back for mil spec stuff.

The handguns are definetely massaged, but no one is running IPSC race guns for three gun.

Shotguns would mostly do quite well on a dove shoot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ok, here we go,,, I have shot for many years at Camp Perry, the first 5 years I shot the NRA Bullseye and was able to get some 'Leg' points...so, that is 50 and 25 yards one hand, 1911 hardball (230gr) factory (issued) ammo. Then the following 15 years I shot NRA High-Power Service Rifle (M14),,,got some 'Leg' points there also... I will shoot against the little boys in their 3-gun game at 10 yards, with hand loads that recoil like a 22LR. I have shot NRA Action Pistol & IPSC, years ago. But it was a game for kids, not real shooting. Speed was more important than accurate shots. Let me see the 3-gun guys on the 50 yard line at Perry with Colt series 70. Or maybe on the 1000 yard line with a M1A and 175gr Federal Gold. I agree with Mr. SOFMatchstaff...the game started with real shooters, now it is a joke...in my opinion.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Slow misses with antiques are why they have separate classes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok, here we go,,, I have shot for many years at Camp Perry, the first 5 years I shot the NRA Bullseye and was able to get some 'Leg' points...so, that is 50 and 25 yards one hand, 1911 hardball (230gr) factory (issued) ammo. Then the following 15 years I shot NRA High-Power Service Rifle (M14),,,got some 'Leg' points there also... I will shoot against the little boys in their 3-gun game at 10 yards, with hand loads that recoil like a 22LR. I have shot NRA Action Pistol & IPSC, years ago. But it was a game for kids, not real shooting. Speed was more important than accurate shots. Let me see the 3-gun guys on the 50 yard line at Perry with Colt series 70. Or maybe on the 1000 yard line with a M1A and 175gr Federal Gold. I agree with Mr. SOFMatchstaff...the game started with real shooters, now it is a joke...in my opinion.

My friend,who is helping me get started in 3-gun, loads 115gr 9mm @1150 for everything he does, 3-gun, IDPA etc. His AR DOES recoil like a 10-22 but it does it with PMC factory ammo or 77gr SMK's a 2800fps, he ain't talkin about how it does it. Those pepper poppers won't go down if you tap them. He also was a top-ten finisher at the last Bianchi Cup. I'd say he's a "real" shooter.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I won't argue. I've tried too hard to change the minds before of crusty old guys who've been everywhere and done everything back when it was harder to do.

If 3 gun / IPSC / whatever is so easy then come do it and show the world just how awesome you are. Or just run your mouth about the good old days.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

What horse crap. I hear this all the time from old shooters, soldiers, and cops. They all have one thing in common- when/if they come to a match they get their butts handed to them.

3-Gun is the most useful shooting sport for military and law enforcement. While they both offer good specialized practice- NRA Service Rifle and NRA Bullseye has about as much to do with how we utilize, move and fight with guns as golf. I will state this right now- if you do not shoot IPSC or 3-Gun you have zero concept of what good shooting really is and what is possible with a pistol and carbine.

I went to what is the equivalent of the world championships in 3-Gun last weekend to hang out with some friends as I did not sign up for it. Turns out they could fit me in. No problem. Seeing as how I didn't bring anything to shoot a match with I used my duty weapons. A Glock 19 for the pistol using M882 ball ammo, a real issued M4 (14.5 inch barrel with an EOtech) for the rifle using a mixture of MK262 77gr Match, greentip and 60gr VMAX, and a borrowed broken FN shotgun. Out of 250 competitors I placed in the top ten on every single rifle and pistol stage with guns straight out of the armory. Had the shotgun not completely broken on the second to last stage I would have finished in the top ten overall. As it was, borrowing three different shotguns to finish the match, a compact pistol, and an M4 I still finished in the top 15%. Not nearly what I do with my "match" guns but......

Anyone that doesn't shoot 3-Gun that thinks they can outshoot and outrun a gun, any gun, in practical shooting over a top level guy needs to pull their nose away from the blow....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Formidilosus, I'm not sure I get the point of your post. Is it;
a) You're a good shooter to be able to go in cold and place well?
b) The level of competition in 3-Gun is not high and everyone has a chance even if you haven't trained and prepared?
c) Soldiers and Cops are not well trained because they don't do well with 3-Gun which is a good indicator of their job proficiency?

...or is it some combination of the three or some other? Sorry, I'm not the sharpest at understanding these things some times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.