Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bill Jordan specifically stated that the K frame magnums should be used with 38 special for practice, and that the use of magnum loads should be restricted to duty only because the gun will not survive a steady diet of 357 magnums. Please re-read his work for any necessary clarification, he wasn't shy about saying this out loud. BTW, most of his exhibition shooting was done with 38 Spl too, often with wax bullets. Bill did own N frame S&Ws too.

Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by anachronism
The Smith is a weaker design, and has a history of weakness when shooting actual 357 loads. K frames were designed around low pressure 38 special loads over a century ago. The GP was designed for unlimited use of 357 magnum ammunition less that 20 years ago. The GP has a frame design that allows almost unlimited grip options, much like Dan Wessons are/were. This design was copied from High Standard revolvers that were released shortly before that companies demise. A GP100 trigger responds to competent trigger work the same as the S&W. The single action is a bit creepier, but that can be dealt with by (once again) a competent gunsmith. The GP100 is heavier than the K frame in all respects. Sometime back, factory 357 mag ammo pressure limits were downgraded by SAAMI in response to the friggin' S&W K frames going down because they weren't designed for such high pressures in the first place. S&W does make an excellent .357 magnum revolver, but it is not a K frame. If the K frames were so perfect, S&W would never have developed the L frame 686 in 1980, so late in the game.

An F250 and a Corvette? More like an F250 and a Vega. Great lines, but not suited to the task. I've had a few K frames, and they were neat 38 Specials, but poor 357 magnums. A quick glance at S&Ws website suggests that they no longer offer any K frame in 357 magnum. 22s,32s & 38s only. The calibers they were designed for in the first place.

Poor Bill Jordan. He never realized how poorly he was armed.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by anachronism
Bill Jordan specifically stated that the K frame magnums should be used with 38 special for practice, and that the use of magnum loads should be restricted to duty only because the gun will not survive a steady diet of 357 magnums. Please re-read his work for any necessary clarification, he wasn't shy about saying this out loud. BTW, most of his exhibition shooting was done with 38 Spl too, often with wax bullets. Bill did own N frame S&Ws too.
Yep, I have and have read his book, No Second Place Winner. The K-Frame .357 has been long misunderstood, even by the police departments that bought them up early on. At first, they followed Jordan's recommendation, but eventually forgot all about it when they decided that cops should practice with what they keep in their guns. That's when they started having to send them back to the factory for regular adjustments and replacement. It wasn't the gun's fault. It was never designed to digest a regular diet of Magnums. In fact, the idea was to both practice with and carry .38 Special, but to keep Magnums at the read for special purposes, such as penetrating cover, stopping bad guys in cars, stopping body-armored bad guys, and the like.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In those days factory 357 mag was factory loaded to about 42,000 PSI today the ceiling is 36,000 PSI.

I have never had a problem with mine, but I only shoot 158 grain bullet or heavier

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
but I only shoot 158 grain bullet or heavier

The same here in my Smith's if I want Magnum loads in them.I don't worry much about the GP-100 but then again,I don't have much use for light for caliber bullets in the .357 Smith or Ruger.

Jayco

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Has anyone here ever "worn out" a Model 19?

By that I mean incurring wear to the point that the revolver needed more than merely an overhaul (cylinder shimming, crane stretching, etc.) but required replacement of major components (e.g., new barrel, new cylinder, crane, etc.).

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've shot many thousand full tilt .357 loads in my snub M66 and have never had issues. (I did have to service the M686 once.) For a few years now, I have steered away from the 125 grain bullets--as those loads seemed the chief culprits in the rumors ascribing delicacy to the K-frame. But 140 and 158 grainers over max loads of h110 are accurate and fun range-clearers, not to mention more than adequate pig gitters.

Gotta love that BANG.

I hear good things about the GP, but all my Ruger revolvers are single actions.

Ella

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Memory is sketchy so I might get a minor detail incorrect, but...

The recommendation about using .38's for regular practice and .357's for "serious social work only" as they called it was long known about the M19.

What brought about the eventual introduction of the L frame was the introduction of the hot 125 grain loadings. These ate away at the forcing cone of the Model 19's and eventually produced cracks (IIRC).

The Model 19 in good shape is a great revolver. I had one in 4" around 1969 or 70 and sent it back to Smith for a 6" barrel and their then relatively new red ramp/white outline sights. It was a great revolver, very accurate and of course the action was like a jeweled Swiss watch.

But I'm a bit leery of used ones nowadays since you don't know the history of what they'be been fed for the last few decades. If one is in good shape then it's in good shape, but unless you really knew what you were doing and how to evaluate wear you could get stuck with one on the verge of getting worn out.

Speaking of L frames and worn out revolvers, I got a no dash 586 6" in 1981 and shot that thing so much I finally had to send it back to Smith sometime in the late 90's for an overhaul. It's still a heck of an accurate revolver although it doesn't get shot anymore since I got a 6" half lug stainless GP-100. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The FBI once issued Model 13s, a K frame .357, and issued 38 Spl +P lead hollowpoint ammo.

I am one of those guys who wore out a K frame in under 500 rounds. Mine was a M65 that I bought new, and it was out of time in under 10 boxes of 158 gr .357. That was 5 range trips, spread out over a little over 2 months. Another one, an M19 didn't really make it any further. While I'm whining about it, a beautiful nickel plated M29 went out of time in about the same time frame. I was more understanding with it because at the time it was "the most powerful gun on the planet". Any gun requiring major service work after only a couple of months is ill-suited to the task.

The K frames were replaced by a Ruger Security Six. Five years later, I finally had to put a hand in it, and I rode that gun hard! Now I only buy 686s & GP100s, but I'd really like to accumulate another Ruger "Six" series .357 someday.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What time period, were your revolvers made?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a number of 19's. My first one and still have it, was purchased in a 4inch configeration in the late 70's. I used this on the sheriff's department at the time. I have fired literally thousands of .38special through it. Maybe a box or two of magnum.
The limited amount of magnum rounds is i just never could see the sense of the blast, recoil and so on for killing tin cans and targets. A couple of months ago i finally took the yellow/red paint off the front sight that i have had on it forever.
Now I know about that shaved area on the forcing cone, but it isn't much of a worry if you are not doing light loads. as in those 125grain projectiles. A 4inch model 19 is still one of the best balanced pistols out there.
I have a couple of new ones, unfired, from that time frame if i ever get to worrying about wearing one out in my lifetime.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/02/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Has anyone here ever "worn out" a Model 19?

By that I mean incurring wear to the point that the revolver needed more than merely an overhaul (cylinder shimming, crane stretching, etc.) but required replacement of major components (e.g., new barrel, new cylinder, crane, etc.).

I have known a couple that wore out a J frame, but none in the model 19

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Model 19's are not rare enough or expensive enough, in my opinion, to merit worrying about "wearing one out." If you do, just buy another. Even the most desirable M19's (early production with factory grips) are often found below $700.

We're not talking about 44spl Triple Locks here... grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/02/12.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have no idea. This pistol came from an estate sale. One of my friends was real close to this person. It hasn't been shot much at all. I have shot it maybe 75 times if that much siting in. Is there a website I can check the serial number to find the time frame?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I thought that I would share this personal experience with a Model 19 blowing up at the Rio Salado Rifle range in Mesa Az in 1997 or 1998.

I was sitting with my friend shooting on the rifle line. I was shooting my 17 Ackley Hornet at the 100 yd line and my friend was having trouble getting his scope on his Rem 700 30/06 adjusted for a 100 yd zero. I asked him to let me sit down at his bench and try to bore sight the rifle. We both stood up from a sitting position at the bench. Just as I stood up and steped behind the shooting bench, my friend grabbed his chest and said in a shaky voice, "it came from that away" pointing down the rifle line to the right. He had a horrible look of pain in his face. I asked him if I could remove his hand from his shirt and see, and as I did, I saw a 2"-3" gaping hole in his chest right above the Sternum. I had a clean hankerchief in my back pocket, I got him to lay down on the concrete, and asked one of the range masters to keep pressure on the hankerchief as I went down the shooting line to get the head range master to declare a cease fire and look for other injured shooters.

About 20 benches to the right of our shooting bench, I see a young man hobbling off crying and sobbing. I grab him and lay him down on the ground and ask him if I can examine his wound, as he was bleeding profusely from the crotch. As I pulled down his pants, I could see his penus was almost severed by shrapnel. I told him to grab hold of his dick and hold tightly as he was by now screaming in agony.

As I stood up to look for further victims, I saw a woman sobbing as she hobbled away from the shooting benches, she said, "my husband, my husband" pointing to a man still sitting up right at the bench, she was ok, just in shock.

The man at the bench, looked as if he had been frozen in time, still gripping the pistol sitting on the pistol rest. He had blood coming from his face and forehead in mupliple places along with shrapnel wounds in his arms and hands. He was motionless and never spoke or made a sound. With another range officer, we laid him down on the concrete and opened his shirt, there was no wounds on his chest, but he was going into shock.

Two surgeons were on the scene and they took over the wounded. I went to the bench along with the head range master and looked at his pistol that had blown up. The entire top half of the cylinder, sights, crane an ejector assembly missing, and top strap were blown off, obviously had been blown to pieces. The pistol was a Model 19 Smith, in what looked like exellent conditon(what was left of it).

Police closed down the rifle range immediatley, and confiscated the gun and ammo. Ammuniton was later found to not be at fault, no over loads on the reloader's part. Instead, the Model 19 was designed to shoot 38 specials in practice, then limited duty 357 use.

My friend made a full recovery in about a year, cylinder had penetrated the chest at the heart, but all the velocity was gone from breaking the sternum. I do not know about the other two vicitms recovery, but heard that the guy that was shooting the Model 19 had quit shooting and had sold all his guns.

If my friend had had trouble sighting in his 30/06, that piece of cylinder would have hit me in the side of the head. If I had not stood up when I did, I would not have been here today. We were 82 feet away from the pistol that blew up.

It is common knowledge with Smith that Model 19's are known to blow up, not intended to be used with hot 357 mag ammo all the time...38's for practice...357's for duty use....

Since the original post was on the Model 19 vs the GP100, you would be hard pressed to blow up a GP100. I have the 686 and the GP100. I replaced the original hammer spring in the GP with a light spring available from Brownell's and also replaced the sights with a beade front sight and a V notch rear, you can really get a fine hold on a target. With the upgraded trigger spring(trigger is fantastic in single and double action) and the sights, groups acheivable from this pistol have been supurb. I have shot untold thousands of HOT load with max loads of 18.0g of H110 and 17.8g of IMR 4227 with the 125g Sierra's in this pistol on jack rabbits, 8 coyotes, and two javelina...one hell of an accurate pistol. Groups with the 125's are where the bullets touch at 25 yards, and almost as good with the 158g load with IMR 4756.

The 686 has never been as accurate as this particular SS GP100 in 6", but the trigger is a tad better on the smith since I had a guy at the custom shop work it over before they moved to Az. Shooting this particular 6" GP100, It is pretty easy to hit 12" tall 4"x6" pieces of wood at 100 yards as they stand up like bowling pins shooting from a rested position with the IMR 4227 load with the sierra 125's above.

If you own a Model 19, Smith will verify what I spoke of above, as my friend tried to sue S&W over the gun blowing up to no avail.

Last edited by keith; 09/02/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Poor Bill Jordan. He never realized how poorly he was armed.

laugh

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is know comparison at all between the GP-100 and The Smith 19 in strength..The GP-100 is far/far stronger than the Smith...As to accuracy from what I see owning both,there equal.

Jayco

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
"......the guy that was shooting the Model 19 had quit shooting and had sold all his guns."

Must have acquired a wicked flinch.....grin

Seriously though, some serious destruction there.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Everything changes with time including Smith and Wesson revolvers...Just a short quote from Buffalo Bore and there heavy cast loading for the .357 Mag.

. You'll notice that new S&W revolvers with short barrels are often shooting faster than older S&W revolvers with longer barrels. The new S&W revolvers are very good and are made with equipment that makes them more consistent and faster than the S&W revolvers of yesteryear.

Jayco

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by keith
Ammuniton was later found to not be at fault, no over loads on the reloader's part. Instead, the Model 19 was designed to shoot 38 specials in practice, then limited duty 357 use.

It is common knowledge with Smith that Model 19's are known to blow up, not intended to be used with hot 357 mag ammo all the time...38's for practice...357's for duty use....

If you own a Model 19, Smith will verify what I spoke of above, as my friend tried to sue S&W over the gun blowing up to no avail.

1. All it takes is one double charge-the one in the gun.
2. Common knowledge???
3. So S&W won the lawsuit? What does that tell you, maybe that it was the handloads fault?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by keith
Ammuniton was later found to not be at fault, no over loads on the reloader's part. Instead, the Model 19 was designed to shoot 38 specials in practice, then limited duty 357 use.

1. All it takes is one double charge-the one in the gun.
2. Common knowledge???
3. So S&W won the lawsuit? What does that tell you, maybe that it was the handloads fault?

there was no lawsuit...no point to it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
752 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.