24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I didn't like the first generation of BT's and avoided shooting them, till the other day. I when to the range to check zero of my Blaser R-93 7mm RM, I forgot to take a box of ammo, so I bought some 150 gr BT federal loads. Long drive to the range. I didn't have to do much, and boy do they shoot out of my barrel. Was not off much. 4 shots did it. We will see on the white tails I hunt this fall. My guess not a problem.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Here's a fresh 30 125gr from an easy open package. For those seeking rapid expansion...
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Seen a few of them caught by pigs, but they all died.

I would hope so. Would suck trying to recover one while the critter was still alive. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was meant tongue n cheek.. Lol.

Glad someone caught it. grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
UUMM, I didn't get an answer to do we need to keep the BTs below 3000fps and IF the new BTs are built like the Accubonds.. is there a difference.... other than the bonding ?? Shooters pro shop has the 150 BT in 284 diameter as seconds right now. Anyone know if they are the old version or the Accubond want to be's ??

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Old 150 NBT...... new 150 NBT..... it doesn't matter a frickin' lick.... you crash one of those suckers into fur, and you'll be needing a knife post haste.

I have bashed more than a few 3000+ fps NBTs into critters... some as fast as 4000 fps (6 Rem/55).... only caught one.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ackley33806
UUMM, I didn't get an answer to do we need to keep the BTs below 3000fps and IF the new BTs are built like the Accubonds.. is there a difference.... other than the bonding ?? Shooters pro shop has the 150 BT in 284 diameter as seconds right now. Anyone know if they are the old version or the Accubond want to be's ??

I've used NBT's on a lot of game and out of a lot of cals and most of them have a lot of speed to them. I sure don't wait till a critter gets to a point where the bullets going Sub 3K till I drop the hammer.

Close range, and a lot of speed then a lot of meat will get rearranged and that's fine with me cause I like my critters turfed quickly.

Bottom line, load em up and light the torch.

What kind of game are you taking and at what ranges on a yearly basis?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I've used NBT's on a lot of game and out of a lot of cals and most of them have a lot of speed to them. I sure don't wait till a critter gets to a point where the bullets going Sub 3K till I drop the hammer.

Close range, and a lot of speed then a lot of meat will get rearranged and that's fine with me cause I like my critters turfed quickly.

Bottom line, load em up and light the torch.

Dober

I love it.....and agree 100% !

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've said this b4, but the thing I love about my big 7 (Mashburn is my choice) along with the 150 NBT is that it pounds game at longer ranges akin to what it's like using a 9 iron on a field mouse....... cool

Don't ask the next Q....grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I've said this b4, but the thing I love about my big 7 (Mashburn is my choice) along with the 150 NBT is that it pounds game at longer ranges akin to what it's like using a 9 iron on a field mouse.......
Dober

I would have to concur.... though I prefer a long iron for vermin work... little more range.

I've seen more game definitively anchored via Big 7 (RM/Roy) + Ballistic Tip than any other combo I can think of.

Deer with a Big Seven/150 NBT..... is like coyotes with a Big Six/87 Vmax..... ohhhh how critters hate the high velocity exit wound....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I totally concur and I love my 6/06 for yotes with a 95 NBT

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 09/05/12.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hope to be able to put a .338 180gn BT through a deer this Fall.

Edit: pic from the web (unknown source). .338 180 BT on RT

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 09/05/12.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been shooting BT's in various 7 mm Rem Mags and WSM's since 2004. I killed 13 deer with 140 gr and 11 with 150 gr. Muzzle velocities ranged from 3170-3300 fps with both bullets. Of course impact velocities varied as well as shot angles etc. Either bullet will kill a deer, in my limited experince I witnessed quicker kills with the 140's with no regard to muzzle velocity. I recently sectioned a 140 grain in the new box and it did not have a tapered jacket. The past couple of years I have been using 150's this year I'm going back to 140's for good...maybe.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
FWIW
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've sectioned a bunch of bullets over the past 25 years--enough to learn not to come to any conclusions until some get shot into both "media" and animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quite right. Sectioning can be fun to look at- haven't done it in a long, long time now, but it doesn't say anything about alloy properties or temper of metals.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dober
Wasn't worried about stuff dieing of BT poisoning but was wondering about blast holes. I have been shooting the BTs awhile too and I don't think I have found one yet. But had a surface blast hole with my 250 3000 last year but that was with a 100 bt @ maybe 20 feel and it still went in to the dirt. Shooting my 280 AI this year on does in January and have some 162 gr Amax I have been shooting out to 611 yards { that is the last row of beans}. Have never shot a deer at long range { to me} but always wanted to shoot one at 500 yards + and this is going to be my year. I have some 140 gr accubonds I have yet to try in this gun but the way those Amaxs and accubonds shoot....WELL, I am sharpening my knives now. Come on down and I will fry you some fat Iowa white tail back straps for lunch.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe it's just a waste of a 'good' bullet and precious time. blush

Would like to see more, specifically the 6mm 95 and .277 140.

Here's the oft-posted 7mm 140 and 120.
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can vouch for the "tender" characteristic of the first BTs. Shot both 130s and 150s from my 270 featherweight into deerses back in the '80s and never had an exit. Because I was strictly a ribcage shooter back then, the deerses died, but the versatility for placement in harder parts of the animal was just not there. I still have some of the old stuff around in their original boxes. Might have to give the "new" BTs a second look sometime. OTOH, I now have enough 7mm Hornady spirepoints in 154 and 175 grain weights to keep a couple loonies happy for quite some time - certainly enough to last the rest of my life. There isn't any controversy about the efficacy of those spire points and, as I understand it, there never was.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot the 150gr original,100 bullets to a box,in my 7mag in 1994.They were bloody messy on deer.Not too many years after that they went to 50 bullets to a box and sometime there after they started changing the design on the inside.I quit using the old style 150gr in 1995 after I shot a buck in the scapula at 250yds.He jumped straight up on impact and went quickly down.I could see blood on his mouth and nostrils,so I knew I made a good solid hit.Shortly there after the buck got up and made his way to the brush before I could get another shot off.I trailed him through the brush and found him lying down.I quickly put one in his neck and that was the end of story.When I was processing the deer this is what I recovered in the ridge of the scapula.

[Linked Image]

The bullet fragments never broke through the scapula and I would have lost that buck had I not went after it.If I was shooting a smaller caliber rifle,I most likely would have not recovered it,if the same thing would have happened.The only explanation I can give for the bloody mouth and nostrils is,he absorbed the full shock of the 7mag impact,causing hemorrhaging inside his lungs and that is what kept him from going to far,because none of the bullet made it past the scapula.
Since those days,Nosler has come along way in improving the design of that bullet and I would not be afraid to use them for any of my game shooting.

Last edited by baldhunter; 09/06/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.