Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Anybody watch it?

The one dude begins every sentence with "I've been doing this for forty years".

Seriously, the guy could be going to take a dump and he'd pause to let everybody know that he's been doing it for forty years.

Firewood.... "we need about ten cord", the commentator then states how the firewood gatherer will have to "cut ten trees". crazy

Really?

He also says the trees are hard to cut when they are frozen... Really?

crazy

(I guess my chainsaw doesn't know about this yet because it flat out hauls ass and the chain just loves that sub zero wood cutting)

Then they try to make me believe this kid is taking off on foot, stomping through waist deep snow for "six miles" to bring back a "cord of wood"

(Maybe six hundred yards and 3 sticks of firewood in his plastic sled)

They show the one kid riding a snowmobile, he bobbles the sled, rolls it and goes for a body slide. They show 2 kids with the hood up on a purple polaris with a hood that's been busted and patched together with strips of aluminum and pop rivets. And they say the motor is locked up......

jeezus...

So, we are to believe the engine locked up and that's what caused him to roll the sled? Then they show the kids pulling the snowmobile with the other snowmobile. They get to town with it and somewhere along the line it turns into a black ski-doo without a broken hood (previously a very beat up purple polaris).

And we're supposed to believe the dad is pizzed at the son because he was the one riding it when the engine gave up the ghost....
Snowmobile owners know that engine burn down, bearing failure etc are just part of the deal. Now broken parts due to hot dogging, jumping, running into a tree etc.. yeah that's rider error.

Anyways...

Just wanted everybody to know all the cool new things I learned by watching the discovery channel last night.

A cord of firewood is wayyyy smaller than I thought it was.

You can't cut frozen wood with a chainsaw.

If you roll a purple polaris snowmobile on rough ice it will turn into a black ski-doo with a burnt down rotax engine.

These people have annual trapping goals of $2000-$3000 to pay for the stuff they need to get through the year. (fuel, bullets mist supplies etc) We are to believe that annual income requirements are very low because these people live mostly off the land.

But I see a lot of $10,000.00 snowmobiles in certain scenes of the show...?

(Snowmobiles must be free in the Yukon)

Thanks Discovery channel for [bleep] up yet another great opportunity to accurately display the days in the lives of interesting people.

They could have just gone up there with cameras and followed people around explaining the modifications they had done to their snowmobiles to help deal with the deep snow. Let them explain their trapping methods, fishing, hunting, along with all the regular daily chores such as firewood cutting... maybe some of the local customs and traditions, celebrations, festivals etc....

But no, once again discovery traveled completely out of their element with a pre scripted story plan. They made fools of the locals by using them as puppets in their discovery channel drama fantasy.

Something clever here.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Most of these types of shows are worthless..

'American Guns' is another joke.. I watched the first half-hour of the first show and knew THAT was full of crap..

Thanks for the warning though.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You being an actual gunsmith, yeah I bet you almost died of laughter watching those posers.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinWho cares?? Helluva lot more fun than watching Daze of Our Lives, As the Stomach Turns and QVC grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've watched a couple episodes and picked up on a bunch of the same stuff as you did, Dave.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Anyone ever walk 1/4 mile in waist deep snow? ( without snowshoes )
It would be easier to swim it!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Anyone ever walk 1/4 mile in waist deep snow? ( without snowshoes )
It would be easier to swim it!

Exactly.

Six miles.... pulling a "cord of firewood" in a 2' by 6' plastic sled with a rope....

confused

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What is a cable tv or satellite? confused

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
'American Guns' is another joke.. I watched the first half-hour of the first show and knew THAT was full of crap..

Only character on that show to that I would have do anything is the son who seems to have some engraving skill. If I ordered a custom piece and it came with that damn huge Gunsmoke logo on it I'd be breaking a stock over someone's head.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't have cable.

(Intense commentator voice)

"In a world, where cables cannot reach.... Tiny satellite dishes are mounted on rooftops in effort to pull down communication signals from the civilized world."

"Sometimes the air is too cold for the signal to come through. Sometimes the snow gets so deep that Dave has to actually free climb the treacherous structure using traditional methods to clear away the snow from the tiny dish so that his family may learn the status of the civilized world."

"If these communications should fail, Dave's family will be cut off from the world. Isolated with no warnings of partly cloudy with chance of flurries, lows in the sub zero teens and a high of 22 degrees above zero for Tuesday."

grin

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alls we has is da innanet....not sure where da signals comes from grin I think it is from the antannae-lope

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the guy whose .223 jams and he says he was using reloads to save money. .223 ammo is some of the cheapest out there.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by ROMAC
How about the guy whose .223 jams and he says he was using reloads to save money. .223 ammo is some of the cheapest out there.

I saw that too.

His 223 had that old M-16 look to it with triangle profile heat shields...

Bitchin sling too, looked like a boot lace. grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

You could re-badge old Beverly Hillbillies reruns as a reality show and they would swallow it.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
And it would actually be more realistic too.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would like to know the fur buyer that is paying $100 for a beaver.

I would have made over $8000 last winter after paying for fuel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the critique Dave. I will readily admit that I don't know doodly squat about the Yukon, its weather or people or any really cold weather for that matter. I don't particularly want to learn either. I figured the show was mostly BS as are all of them.
I always thought a chord of wood was a pile 4' X 4' X 8' closely stacked. Glad to learn I can haul that on a kids plastic play pool. grin Through the snow too.

Quando Omni Moritati
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I want to see an intense "reality" show on a few folks from a bigger city. With the same sorts of scripted modifications to their "reality".

Me being closer to the outdoorsy themed reality shows (in actual reality). I'd watch a show that dramatizes a subway commute or a stop at a coffee shop.... Taxi ride, bus ride, carpool.... Lunch breaks, shopping for "crucial supplies" in "a world where money is traded for goods."

Maybe include a bus ride to a democratic convention, perhaps they could showcase the anguish that goes along with trying to vote without any ID? And the grand challenges to acquire said ID so that they can cast their vote?

Showcase the local culture and traditions of baby mamas and the numerous non supporting daddies to the 14 babies? Show how the mama�s of 14 babies from 14 daddies artfully work the system for the entitlements they have �earned�?

Just think of the adventures that are being overlooked by discovery channel.

These are survival methods. Hey, parasites gotta survive too right?

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure why you want to attribute these idiots to be Canadians? They're not in the Yukon. They live along the Yukon river in Alaska. They keep talking about Tanana, which is in Alalska. They're Americans, who apparently can't trap very well. A coil spring trap sitting on top of bare snow, set for a $100 marten? No bait, no cubby, etc.

The snowmobile issue was a joke too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.