Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Right, isn't he the guy that has the kid sight his rifle in for him? Then blames the kid when he misses a shot with it?

crazy

Useless is a first rate [bleep].

I'd never let anyone else sight in a rifle for me. Not to mention he said the rifle never "misfired", which I guess is hillbilly for being "off". How often do open sights move around on you so that you have to resight them?? Different ammo?? Useless just missed........

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
About the only "reality" show worth watching at all is Survivor Man. It is still pretty scripted at times, but the guy at least has some common sense.
That Eustace dude is just an old hippie trying to hide in the woods from his past.

Last edited by Duckhunter; 09/05/12. Reason: spelling

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannot figure out how they got down to next to zero wood left half way through the winter so had to go cut trees in sub-zero temps.

Then they run out of meat and talk of starvation if they don't find the caribou crazy Really??

I don't live in the Yukon, but have no trouble keeping the wood pile and freezer stocked for the winter.

They constantly talk of how life is "hard" up there. It's must be pretty damm hard if you're that damm stupid.

It's just made up drama......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
About the only "reality" show worth watching at all is Survivor Man.

That is a good show.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A cord of firewood is wayyyy smaller than I thought it was.
A lot of the time they're talking about a face cord, not a full cord. A face cord is 4' high and 8' long but it's only 1 cut stick in width, more or less 16". It's only about 1/3 of a full cord.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lizard Lick........ laugh Them boys are nuts and crack me up.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
However it is better than "Mountain Men" because they actually trap something and shoot something rather than rome around the woods lost.

I think it's more of the producers not knowing what the heck to look for in the first place or the real McCoys don't want any part of Hollywood.

Last edited by southwind; 09/05/12.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
If they did more of a daily documentary style rather than a daily script for the locals to perform, I do believe it would be interesting to watch.

Stan ate his dogs to survive during a tough winter and made a set of chopper mitts out of one of his fav dogs...

Yeah, I think there is enough real "reality" there to do a show on without a fake hollywood script.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Lizard Lick........ laugh Them boys are nuts and crack me up.....
I actually know the Lizard Lick crew - lifted with them in a bunch of meets. Everything else aside, they are SERIOUSLY strong folks. (including Amy, a world champion powerlifter). They are pretty good people. Ronnie Shirley is a BIIIIG dude, but was kinda puny next to his best friend, Johnny Perry, a worlds strongest man competitor. Sadly, Johnny died of a heart attack at 29. Truly a gentle giant.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

No joke. I mean, the portrayals of the coonarses in that show is so ridiculous. I saw a bit of one show where they even had them using plates and forks and having a few teeth left. I mean, really...

eek grin

The one thing I will say about the two episodes of YM, they show some dead critters--and a few alive, soon-to-be-dead ones. That wolverine in the trap scene had me rolling, though. "I'm going to have to stun him". Dude then takes out his handy dandy hatchet and whacks a sapling down to use as a club. He then approaches the beast all sneaky-like, then bats the thing on the forearm. Missed him by THAT much! wink

Also, this may be a trapping thing that I'm clueless about, but can predator carcasses not be used as bait for some reason? I guess I can see that a top tier local predator's smell may put off critters willing to come eagerly to a game animal's, but the part I thought a bit comical is when the guy that shot the woof hauls the skinned carcass to a ditch on the side of the river and chucks it in. "Nuttin' goes to waste out here!"

I'm with ET, though. It beats Extreme Animal Hoarders and My Bizarre Rituals with Balloons...

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
I liked the part where they dropped a caribo in its track at about 150 yards with a .223. Just bang-flop. I'm using way to much gun on these desert mulies it turns out.

Actually I have a Inuit cousin.His big Rifle is a 223.He uses it for Caribou and Walrus.Pretty much does the job.

Works on flocks of geese on the wing, too. I saw a guy 'subsistence hunting' with one. Emptied it at a flock overhead. Got one, too. 1 for 30 ain't bad...

shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they did more of a daily documentary style rather than a daily script for the locals to perform, I do believe it would be interesting to watch.

Stan ate his dogs to survive during a tough winter and made a set of chopper mitts out of one of his fav dogs...

Yeah, I think there is enough real "reality" there to do a show on without a fake hollywood script.

My wife gave me a wide-eyed incredulous stare when he said that. I just shrugged and pointed out that he was being practical.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
About the only "reality" show worth watching at all is Survivor Man.

That is a good show.

was listening to an interview with Les a few years ago about the time the show hit Season 3.....first season and a half he didnt have a back up crew, he just went by himself, after that Discovery insisted that there be one for safety and insurance reasons but Les said they had to stay atleast a half mile from where ever he was or he wouldnt do the show....the reason? he wanted to keep the show as real as possible and by day 3 he would do a flying tackle on a camera man if the guy had a granola bar in his pocket laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mohave Mauler - you sayin a .223 can't drop a scrawny caribou in its tracks????? Them is fightin words here on the fire!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bruinruin

My wife gave me a wide-eyed incredulous stare when he said that. I just shrugged and pointed out that he was being practical.

Practical? Sheeit. In parts of the world he'd be called a gourmand!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
"stunning" the wolverine only to put a bullet hole in the hide after "stunning"..

I was cringing the whole time while he was clubbing away at the wolverine, missing him and hitting the trap and the trapped leg instead. I figured for sure he was going to knock that critter free from the trap and have a real mess on his hands.

He had an axe for pete sakes, spin it around and use the axe handle to deliver a quick and more accurate "stun". Then put a block under the critter's head to support while you give a real good finishing whack to the skull.

If you're gonna put a bullet hole in it, then just do that! Dont risk knocking it out of the trap with a log pole only to shoot it anyways!

lol!
grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"stunning" the wolverine only to put a bullet hole in the hide after "stunning"..

I was cringing the whole time while he was clubbing away at the wolverine, missing him and hitting the trap and the trapped leg instead. I figured for sure he was going to knock that critter free from the trap and have a real mess on his hands.

He had an axe for pete sakes, spin it around and use the axe handle to deliver a quick and more accurate "stun". Then put a block under the critter's head to support while you give a real good finishing whack to the skull.

If you're gonna put a bullet hole in it, then just do that! Dont risk knocking it out of the trap with a log pole only to shoot it anyways!

lol!
grin

I was incredulous at that also! If you're gonna shoot it, carry a rifle and shoot from 10 ft, rather than what he did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

lol!
grin

A wolverine sure isn't like a fox you can walk to the end of the chain, or a lynx over whose neck you can slip a choking snare loop. Wolverines (and wolves) are worth a 5� bullet IMO. Walking into the trap circle of a live wolverine is foolishness IMO.

And firewood is a winter-long effort for many folks in the north. Transportation of such loads is generally easier when there's ice and snow. I seriously doubt the cameras, equipment, and crews would work well in tough conditions.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm just sayin, if yer gonna club it, club it, if yer gonna shoot it, shoot it.

I prefer winter for wood cutting too.

The cutting is awesome, and the plitting is even better when cold.

"hard to cut because the trees are frozen" LMAO!!

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

You could re-badge old Beverly Hillbillies reruns as a reality show and they would swallow it.

They have, it is called "Big Brother"....I saw the ad acouple of nights ago.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.