Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone have any experience with both?

WIPE-OUT says no damage to "modern" stock finishes but can damage varnish,lacquer,shellac and oil finishes.
GUNSLICK warns it will harm wood or synthetic stock finishes and aluminum anodized surfaces and painted surfaces.

GUNSLICK says not to use in gas-operated "automatics".....recoil-operated ones ok.
WIPE-OUT makes no mention of useage in either mechanism...neither yea nor nay.

Any input?

Last edited by chapped_lips; 09/14/12.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have only used wipe-out.. works for me..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Both seem to work fine for me. I was using Wipe-Out, then couldn't locate it locally so I tried Gunslick. Wipe-Out is possibly a bit more aggressive at removing material on the first try? Just a perception, no hard data to support.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 for Wipe out. Easy to use, and I like the idea of my gun barrels getting clean while I sleep.

Steve

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I use gunslick, just because its what the local shops carry, Works fine for me.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
In regards to the gas port on an AR15 and WIPE-OUT ,does anyone just keep the port skyward to avoid much of the solution leaking into it?
Or not worry about it?

I have sent WIPE-OUT an email requesting their input but haven't received a response as yet.

This keeps running thru my head.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ&sns=em

Last edited by chapped_lips; 09/14/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipe out is the cat's meow.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hoppe's #9 or G96 gun treatment, no worries Mate, all is good when that is what you use.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used Wipe Out in the past and am currently using Gun Slick. They both work well, though it seemed Wipe Out required fewer applications to get to a clean patch. Not a big difference, just a perception going off memory. I didn't care for the flimsy plastic "straw" that comes with Wipe Out and feel the applicator tube on Gun Slick is a little easier to work with. Gun Slick seems to be more available locally which is the main reason I'm using it now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you are not comfortable with Wipe Out, try Patch Out. Same stuff only you apply it with a patch instead of a straw, and it is my preference between the two. Not nearly as messy and works at least as well.

But both work well in cleaning out a barrel.

Wish I had it years ago.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brownells sells a tube adapter for the wipe out can. It's only a few bucks and works well. I have the accelerator too, but have not tried it yet. I cannot find wipe out locally either. Good stuff!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used both; a lot of Wipe-Out and a little Gunslick. My experience is that Wipe-Out is more aggressive. My only complaints about it are that it is only slightly less difficult to find than Norma powders and I really think that it should be named "Wipe-Up/Off". (I have heard all of the suggestions about plugging barrels from either end and things of that ilk, but am left wondering if the bore really gets filled in those instances. It doesn't really matter for me as I can still have the stuff inside my shorts, hanging from the overhead light, and inside closed containers no matter what I do.)
It should be pointed out that if using the Accelerator, you do not want to leave it in the bore for extended periods.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use Gunslick, and in AR15s too. After cleaning, I put the straw on my can of brake cleaner, and flush out the gas tube from the receiver end, then I blow compressed air through it. I've never had an issue with this method so far.

Originally Posted by chapped_lips
In regards to the gas port on an AR15 and WIPE-OUT ,does anyone just keep the port skyward to avoid much of the solution leaking into it?
Or not worry about it?

I have sent WIPE-OUT an email requesting their input but haven't received a response as yet.

This keeps running thru my head.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ&sns=em

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.