Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by doubletap

How do you know it barely exited? Did you find it laying on the ground next to the bear?

I think he meant 'bearly' exited...but its tough to tell with the way he spells... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by toad
and in what world is the 4#+ .45-70 BFR a 'hiking revolver'?

The one where people want to live and not be desert.

I'd rather be desert than dessert. That's jus [bleep] weak. At least if I'm desert I might be the sand in someones eye. Or vag......

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once again, a thread where those that post can't read.

Perfect.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, another example of the failure of American public education system. Either that, or a confirmation of the bell curve.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, another example of the failure of American public education system. Either that, or a confirmation of the bell curve.

I love to hear myself speak, and I accept that about me. But I also force myself to listen. And when I find myself not listening I know I'm either completely in the right, or totally schitfaced.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Another post worthy of quoting!

I can't remember a post of yours that didn't have a conscious and reasoning purpose, even if you were schitfaced.

Of course, some people on the Fire secretly want to be famous fiction writers. (Or even gun writers, God knows why.) And the Internet is the place to try.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by doubletap

How do you know it barely exited? Did you find it laying on the ground next to the bear?

I think he meant 'bearly' exited...but its tough to tell with the way he spells... grin

grin grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
for a guy that can't spell 'too' and 'know', i'm shocked he got 'condescending' right

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I learned today firsthand that a Ruger Bearcat is not what you want to be carrying. We left the woods after putting up a stand and had a very hair raising encounter with a voracious and maniacal escaped cow. We were at least able to keep her out of the corn until the red Heeler showed up!

Attached Images
cow.jpg (19.15 KB, 693 downloads)

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Something about a broken clock & twice a day............ grin

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y'all are missing the big threat-what about running into a Bigfoot?
Does OC wotk on a Yeti?
What handcannon is effective on a Saquatch? (I think I would lean toward a Howdah double pistol in .577 Snider)
What about liability-would handloaded ammunition get you into trouble in court when you have to whack Bigfoot? In court would having your Howdah slicked up and tricked out make you look like you went looking to fight Yeti? What happens when the local news interviews the Man-ape's Mom, and she says her boy was good at heart and was just starting to turn his life around when a bloodthirsty evil gunowner slew him in cold blood?

To the poor OP if he is still with us-you stand about as much chance of being struck by lightning on the AT as you do being attacked by a black bear or a mountain lion. Get a good .22, shoot the hell out of it before you go, and enjoy your hike.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 3040Krag

To the poor OP if he is still with us-you stand about as much chance of being struck by lightning on the AT as you do being attacked by a black bear or a mountain lion.

Probably, no mountain lions in that area but don't discount the bears on the AT. In GA at the Blood Mountain shelter, a BIG blackie ran everyone out of the building (it looks like a Haitian jail) and helped himself to everyone's chow. Of course, they were all granola heads who'd been told they didn't need to ever worry about the bears.

They didn't install "bear cables" at the shelters in NC and VA for no reason.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 09/16/12. Reason: spellin'
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by raverym14
First time post. I am going hiking on the Appalachian Trail in 2 weeks, and wondering what some thoughts are on loads and guns for carrying along. I have a Smith 21 .44 Spl and a Smith 57 .41 Mag. I also have a Super Redhawk .480, but I am not considering it (too big and heavy). There is a very slim chance of black bear, which are fairly small in the Southern Mountains, and cougar. More worrisome are the two legged rats on the trail. I had a cousin and her boyfriend murdered in their tent on the trail back in the 80's. No rape, no robbery, just shot in their sleep for the @#$$ of it. No gun in the world would have helped them, but I am still taking one. I went back and re-read some old articles by Brian Pearce, and I am looking for opinions on which caliber and whether to go with some of the hot Buffalo Bore hard cast loads or something like the Hornady XTP loads. I also have my eye on one of the Ruger Blackhawks .44 Spl built on the .357 frame. ( I am basically just looking for a reason to buy it, it seems it would be less bulky to carry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

How far ya hikin'?

S&W mod 34 kit gun, 22lr, S&W mod 36 Chiefs special, 38spec, Charter Arms Bulldog, 44spec. or suit yourself.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis,

Another post worthy of quoting!

I can't remember a post of yours that didn't have a conscious and reasoning purpose, even if you were schitfaced.

Of course, some people on the Fire secretly want to be famous fiction writers. (Or even gun writers, God knows why.) And the Internet is the place to try.

Thanks sir!

One of these days I'm gonna sober up, look through my notes, and either become a gunwriter, or the Penthouse-Forum-writer-guy.

Either way, I'd be havin' fun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I carry a side arm while backpacking. Why? Because I feel better. Never needed it, but like the comfort of knowing it is there.

I carry while elk hunting if I know I am coming out after dark. Otherwise I do not like the extra weight. I hunt an area with an emerging wolf population. Not sure a pistol is any better than a rifle, but again, makes me feel better.

Use to carry a Ruger SP-101. Nice sized revolver, built like a tank. 5 shots with a hard cast bullet. Not too bad

I have the Ruger Refhawk in 45 colt. heavy loads good for "big" bears? maybe? But too much to carry too far. If I am really concerned about needing a gun for big bears.....guide gun

Now I carry a Glock 29 in 10 mm with hard cast bullets. Nice frontal area, 10 in the mag & an extra 15 shot mag in the pack I find my g29 easier to shoot than a SP-101. Also the extra mag carries my extra ammo supply.

Cheers

Last edited by Orchemo; 09/16/12.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

The why is easy. They want to be rich and famous, a legend in their own time. grin

Last edited by doubletap; 09/17/12. Reason: Decided to add a grin, in case someone takes me seriously.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like that LW 44 you have, no fiction there, but I don't think they make it anymore do they? Seems like a nice concept with 44 specials.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I like that LW 44 you have, no fiction there, but I don't think they make it anymore do they? Seems like a nice concept with 44 specials.

Thanks, I love it too. I have the 310 as well, but it is on the N-Frame. Will likely go down the road sooner than later.

And to answer your question, they stopped making the 396.

Travis

Last edited by deflave; 09/17/12. Reason: Forgot to answer the man's question.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
doubletap,

Now THAT makes sense, somehow--unlike some of this thread.

But in my experience there's more fame (or maybe notoriety) than riches in being a gun writer. In fact my wife often says, "To hell with fame, gimme money."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last time that I hiked along the AT, I ran into a group of Mennonite (aka "car Amish") families at one of the more popular scenic overlooks. They had to walk close to four miles, one way, to get there. Some of the mothers, wearing full-length dresses, were even carrying babies that were too young to walk on their own, and there were plenty of other children along, too.

I'd have felt pretty stupid if I showed up wearing an 8" barrelled .44+ caliber cannon strapped across my chest. YMMV.

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (35, 32_20fan, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.