Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
You know, if you tried breaking down your term of "superior" into realtime values, you jest might come across the answer yourself? I'm just saying - it's not rocket science...

bhtr
Do you think im asking for the hell of it? Like i already know the answer and im just testing everyone else? Or do you think i shot and i am an expert on every caliber made??? Well im not nor claim to come close. I am asking for knowledge from everyone thats interested in what they have come across and what there most accurate guidance is for the questions i asked.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is just my opinion on the subject so take it for what you paid for it. If it were me and the wifey I'd give her the 243 and you the 7mm08 loaded with Barnes ttsx in 140 gr. you already have what you need to get the sheep hunting done. The youth stock on your 08 is eas y to change to a full length stock that may fit you better. I would then take the money you were gonna spend on the sheep rifle to get a 300 win mag which would more than cover you for whatever else you want to hunt in the state. But that's just my opinion

I Kill Things......deal with it..
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Perfect sheep rifle - OK - maybe a .270 short mag.... Or better yet, a .264 short mag. Does anyone make one?

I killed my first ram at @50 feet with a .243. Seemed just about perfect at the time..... smile Also worked on the second one a year later at @100 yds, within a quarter mile of the first one.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hunting by yourself or with some one else? I want a light kicking light rifle for shooting extreme angles. If by myself a LW 06 is fine for bear issues. .270 on up would be fine in my opinion no need for a hard kicking heavy rifle with another hunter along.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Classic old cartridge that just keeps getting it done.

Yep. Jack settled this question over 60 years ago: .270 Winchester.

But for me.....ULA in .284 Win.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far the .270 Winchester has been mentioned 28 times....I think there might be something to it!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BBerg
There is not just one perfekt cartridge for Dall...

In my opinion everything between a .260 Remington and a .300 Weatherby is perfectly adequate, with the 6.5-06, .270 Winchester and 280 Remington class of cartridges being my favourites.

BBerg

Berg, such sound logic is not to be tolerated here at the Fire.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by akjeff
A sheep will die due to to damn near any bullet, from any reasonably well placed centerfire cartridge within reason. The key factor is having the lungs and legs capable of getting you there, and the guts to make it happen. Spend more time getting in shape, and less time hand wringing over rifle minutiae, and you'll be ahead of the power curve. JMHO.

Jeff

Regarding sheep hunting, truer word were never spoken. Jeff, you boiled it down to one simple paragraph. Good post!

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a gun is needed (and perhaps a budget to consider) but I wouldn't buy based on just one hunt. Bang and versatility for the buck: Weatherby Vangard 7mm Mag. Now go do almost anything in NA including your sheep.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Savage88
Im new on here so i hope i do this right!! Ok so, Im currently deployed in Afghanistain, I almost possitive that my wife will allow me to buy a new rifle when i get home. My plan is to get one for a AK dall sheep hunt that i will do in the near future. Ive looked on here for a posting that answers what the perfect cal. is for them with no luck. I currently have a 7mm-08 savage model 10 youth, its a bit short but works great on whitetail and i can shoot it well! Also, same goes for the savage model 11 in .243. My wife tells me she wants to go hunting with me when i go so chances are we will need another rifle. I was thinking a larger, possibly a magnum, for other large game in AK. There is a very good chance we will move back there, as well. So after all that rambling i just did, my ultimate question is what is the best cal. for dall sheep if i was absolutely gonna buy a new rifle? What caliber and why?

Oh and by the way if i were to get a new one, it would be some Savage if you didnt assume that already. kinda got a thing for them

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you're already in business. Since you shoot the 7-08 well, I say take it! And your wife might try the .243 and see if it fits her.

Of course if you just want another rifle, I can understand that too.

And thanks for your service.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Model Seven 7-08 with a Leupold 6x42 at 364 yards or something like that IIRC... One shot only...

[Linked Image]

And here he is about to pile up against that big rock... There was absolutely no running involved, despite appearances.

[Linked Image]

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sitka Deer,
That photo of the ramafter you hit it is excellent, which camera did you use?
BBerg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was photographing, BW was the shooter. Canon 20D with Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS lens... It worked out better than expected and helped in field judging the sheep.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
If Savage is the name, I would think a 6.5 Creedmoor would be in the running for the game.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
how does the 6.5 creedmoor compare to the other 6.5s??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the 270. I've killed 3 rams, several black bears, 1 grizz, a caribou and a number of decent sized bull moose with it using 150 NP's. Mkae it as light as you can and put good glass on top and you'll be all set.

My buddy holding last years dall ram I took in the DCUA.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by kroo88
[Linked Image]

Klassen with a nice ram he shot on a hunt we shared back in 1991. He used his .270 and 130gr Partitions. If I recall, the shot was about 200 yards. Right where you want them.

There were 21 rams in this bunch, with this ram being the only mature, class IV ram. We were side by side with both rifles on him. Nothing happened for the longest time.....finally I hissed,"When are going to shoot?" Al whispered,"I thought you were going to shoot". I said,"You shoot". About a half second later his .270 went off....we ate good that night.

Nice ram-bad boots

Maybe so, but nobody I know or ever will know could fill them.....

Lol..!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since sheep die if you shoot them think bigger. How about a 338-06 for moose and bear or just a plain 30-06 with good tsx bullet selection?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

This...
Originally Posted by wildone
This is just my opinion on the subject so take it for what you paid for it. If it were me and the wifey I'd give her the 243 and you the 7mm08 loaded with Barnes ttsx in 140 gr. you already have what you need to get the sheep hunting done. The youth stock on your 08 is eas y to change to a full length stock that may fit you better. I would then take the money you were gonna spend on the sheep rifle...
and spend it on an air taxi, or upgrade your gear...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 72 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,585
Posts18,454,262
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.