Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
That's for sure B. One of the reasons I want the barrel weight out front and not in the stock or action. Also one of the reasons I still love my old Browns.

4 me, a stock of 26-28 oz with a barrel about .65" at the mzl is a wonderful combo with most all rounds. Especially the mags.

Dober

I agree and thats one of the reasons a Rem 700 with a Rem Mag contour barrel and a edge stock is a thing of beauty from a ballance standpoint..

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One other thing. I have no first hand expiereance, but I have heard magnaporting really tames down the muzzle jump. I am kicking over having my RUM ported when its ready for its next tube, which should be soon.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IMHO the difference for big game hunting is that winning the Weatherby Award when that was a big deal was more likely to happen with the Weatherby cartridge in a Weatherby rifle.

Beyond that no practical difference except price and availability of cases.

That said given a choice between two otherwise identical rifles I'd take the Weatherby and I still wonder at the long ago purchase in .300 Win Mag by somebody else of a Colt Sauer which was available in either and fairly heavy as such things go. Maybe it was a choice of nicer wood.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The differences for big game between 300 Win Mag and 300 Wthby Mag, are $1 per shell, compared to $2 per shell. That's about it. And maybe 100-200 fps at best, if loaded with the heaviest bullets, otherwise they are identical.

the reloading specs on some 300 mag family cartidgee are exactly identical, even though the case volume is a lot different. For instance 308 norma mag vs. 300 wthby mag, exactly the same powder charge for 150 grain bullets, for some powders.

we're talking the same girl in a different dress

It's really a question that borders on nonsensical, because you can fire 300 Win Mag ammo, in a 300 Weatherby. If you buy a 300 Weatherby, you basically get a 300 Win Mag and 300 H&H included, free of charge- because it will fire all 3 cartridges just fine.

no different than shooting 38 special out of a 357 magnum handgun, with the shell headspacing on the rim. In the 300 belted mag family, the shell headspaces on the belt, the case just fireforms to the chamber. If the caliber is the same, and the case is long enough to put the bullet tip into the throat lead of the barrel, it will fire out of the gun.

if one already owns a 300 Wthby Mag, it makes absolutely no sense to buy a 300 H&H or 300 Win Mag, or even a 308 Norma mag. If you want to try out a 300 H&H or 300 Win Mag, you can just buy a box of shells and shoot them through your 300 Weatherby. They are all basically the same in terms of performance. If one wants to try first time the 300 mag family and doesn't want the wallop, blast, recoil of the 300 RUM or 30-378, the 300 Weatherby is the only choice, and best choice, for this reason.

I would not magna port any rifle barrel, the blast effect on your muzzle-side ear would be dramatic, and your ear would ring for 3 days from firing one shot, or worse. It would require earmuffs just to hunt with. The dirty little secret about porting any barrel is, recoil is reduced, but muzzle blast is greatly INCREASED. But again, it gives the firearms companies one more thing to sell you.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; 09/28/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

And I'm not sure how to say this nicely and it don't apply in all cases but it appears that often those breaks are on guns who's owners don't shoot them very often. Um, was that PC enough?

Dober

Dunno if it was PC enough, but I see that around here too....

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
On a side note, I was at the range the other day and 4 of the 5 rigs around me had mzl breaks on them. Very glad it was time to leave...

And I'm not sure how to say this nicely and it don't apply in all cases but it appears that often those breaks are on guns who's owners don't shoot them very often. Um, was that PC enough?

Dober

Agreed. The only muzzle breaks I see are the ones sitting in gun racks in the local gun stores, gathering dust, because no one wants them.

A muzzle break usually means someone bought too much gun for leisurely target shooting or the type of hunting they actually do. IMHO, it's like putting a band aid on a cancer tumor. A gun like that may be perfect for 500 yd. and 1000 yd. professional competition, but not shooting paper targets at 100-200 yards in the back field, or old shale pit.

There's an old saying about guns that are too light and recoil too much, the old timers liked to say "it kills at one end, and maims at the other"

With muzzle breaks, the new saying is: "shoulders will heal, but eardrums don't"

I'd rather have a gun that recoils too much, and put a recoil pad on it, then one with a short barrel that's too loud and blasty. I know a few guys that hunt with big magnum handguns, and have to use earmuffs. Hunting with earmuffs on, can sort of take the fun out of it.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; 09/28/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CaptainCrossman

With muzzle breaks, the new saying is: "shoulders will heal, but eardrums don't"

Ain't that the truth! ! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The differences for big game between 300 Win Mag and 300 Wthby Mag, are $1 per shell, compared to $2 per shell. That's about it. And maybe 100-200 fps at best, if loaded with the heaviest bullets, otherwise they are identical.

the reloading specs on some 300 mag family cartidgee are exactly identical, even though the case volume is a lot different. For instance 308 norma mag vs. 300 wthby mag, exactly the same powder charge for 150 grain bullets, for some powders.

we're talking the same girl in a different dress

It's really a question that borders on nonsensical, because you can fire 300 Win Mag ammo, in a 300 Weatherby. If you buy a 300 Weatherby, you basically get a 300 Win Mag and 300 H&H included, free of charge- because it will fire all 3 cartridges just fine.

no different than shooting 38 special out of a 357 magnum handgun, with the shell headspacing on the rim. In the 300 belted mag family, the shell headspaces on the belt, the case just fireforms to the chamber. If the caliber is the same, and the case is long enough to put the bullet tip into the throat lead of the barrel, it will fire out of the gun.

if one already owns a 300 Wthby Mag, it makes absolutely no sense to buy a 300 H&H or 300 Win Mag, or even a 308 Norma mag. If you want to try out a 300 H&H or 300 Win Mag, you can just buy a box of shells and shoot them through your 300 Weatherby. They are all basically the same in terms of performance. If one wants to try first time the 300 mag family and doesn't want the wallop, blast, recoil of the 300 RUM or 30-378, the 300 Weatherby is the only choice, and best choice, for this reason.

I would not magna port any rifle barrel, the blast effect on your muzzle-side ear would be dramatic, and your ear would ring for 3 days from firing one shot, or worse. It would require earmuffs just to hunt with. The dirty little secret about porting any barrel is, recoil is reduced, but muzzle blast is greatly INCREASED. But again, it gives the firearms companies one more thing to sell you.

You're actually recommending the practice of firing a .300 win mag in a .300 Weatherby?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I read something similar about shooting 7mm Rem Mag shells in a 7mm Weatherby. Not recommending the practice since I never tried it.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Actually there's a lot of difference. The .300 Winchester and H&H will shoot low and with less velocity than in rifles chambered for those cartridges. It's like shooting reduced powder charges in the .300 Wby. You'd probably be lucky to get 30-06 velocities.

The only reason to shoot .300 H&H rounds in a Weatherby is to fireform cases, the need for which vanished about 1950.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
It always amazes me that posters don't think the 200 fps advantage of the .300 Weatherby over the .300 Winchester (Hornady Handbook maximum velocity loads) means anything and yet will ooooh and ahhhh about the .458 Lott's 70 fps advantage over the .458 Winchester.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
It always amazes me that posters don't think the 200 fps advantage of the .300 Weatherby over the .300 Winchester (Hornady Handbook maximum velocity loads) means anything and yet will ooooh and ahhhh about the .458 Lott's 70 fps advantage over the .458 Winchester.

Its not that's its meaningless, its just I am not going to put up with a weatherby cartridge to net a paltry 100fps. When I say 100fps I base this on a velocity of 3200 for a 180 with a weatherby and 3100 for a win mag with the same weight bullet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
These are great names... 416 Rigby, 375 Holland & Holland, 300 Weatherby, 220 Swift. Need I say more?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BW, I have a .300 RUM nicest gun! Mine is a Rem.700 SS, RMEF edt.3X9 Z,Mag/Na/Port screw off brake and a R3 pad. This rifle with brake is like shootin an 06. Huntin thred cap on and go. No one feels recoil when a heart beat is in the X. As for short mag. fade which never took off well why bother just get an 06, Lovein the RUM....later

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RinB
These are great names... 416 Rigby, 375 Holland & Holland, 300 Weatherby, 220 Swift. Need I say more?

YEAH-----

300 WINCHESTER Mag.

It has proven it's worth while others have FADED ! ! !

What happened to the 300 HH?

What happened to the 308 Norma Mag?

Others never got off the ground!!!

I don't know but would NOT be surprised if there are MORE Win Mags
In use than Bees

AFAIC the small gain in performance is NOT worth the $$$$$
Both for the Wby rifle, ammo, or brass.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
On game I could never see a lick of difference between them,but "like" the Weatherby a bit better.

Nice long neck,fewer magazine constraints and since "most" 300 Wins are built on abbreviated (blocked) H&H actions,I figured why not use up the length? confused

Plus the 300 Weatherby with some factory and handloads will really make the chronograph chime.....from the 26" barrel of a rechambered pre 64 H&H,the Weatherby factory stuff did over 3400 fps with the 165 BT.....and there is something satisfying about a 200 gr Partition or AB at over 3000 fps....that'll work!

I handled a M70 yesterday recently rebarreled by Gene Simillion in an Echols stock and it ws about as nice a 300 Weatherby as I have had in my grubby mitts.It isn't mine but frankly I can't wait to shoot it....at least a little.That stock will make it manageable. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use both and like both, but if I had to choose I'd go with my 26" Weatherby. I just hunt whitetails with them and use lighter bullets and as such the Weatherby does shoot flatter, but that may be do to the couple extra inches of barrel too.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good to see someone on this thread who actually owns, and shoots, a 300 Wby.-

I've had mine since the mid-'90's, and used it for about everything you could imagine. It now sits in a McMillan Edge stock, and with scope and rings, tips the scale at 8 lb. 15 oz.
Recoil with this stock, and its Pachmayr Decellerator pad, is very manageable.
My current 165 gr. Barnes TSX handloads go out the barrel at a chronoed 3390 fps, as does factory ammo- zeroed at 300 yds., it is a hair over 2.5" at 100, and 8" low at 400 yards.
That's the prime reason I own and shoot the 300 Wby- it's darn flat, and very accurate to boot.
I've only taken one game animal with a .300 Winchester- that was a Spanish Ibex at an even 250 yards. Almost any rifle and caliber would have worked- but if that Ibex had been out at, say, 350 yards, I would have greatly preferred to have had my Weatherby in hand.
The area I was hunting in had very strict rules about shooting- two misses and your hunt was over. A wounded Ibex, not recovered, game over. And we're talking about a very expensive game animal.
I understand that a lot of fast .30's, like the Wby, UM's, Lazzeronis, etc. see use for the really big sheep, like the Marco Polo and Argali, in Mongolia and the 'stan' countries. Flat trajectory at long distance is likely the primary factor for their use.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
counterproductive, you give up a great design to get rounded shoulders and a couple more grains in the case.
Stay with the 300WM

I am with the others. Not enough to really matter and the 300 Win Mag is a GREAT round.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have killed a ton of game with a .300 Roy, and it has always been my goto gun. Find myself liking the two Winchester versions more and more...

I found a wizard and asked him if he can remove a curse I had been living with for the last 20 years. The Wizard says, "What were the exact words that were used to put the curse on you." I say without hesitation, "I now pronounce you man and wife."
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (12344mag, 163bc, 2UP, 257 mag, 007FJ, 29 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.