Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Is there really much difference between the different trap makers when it comes to 220 conibears? I'm looking to buy some new ones, but not sure which to go with.

One of the new guys....
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am looking at 220's this year as well, hope someone in the know answers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay away from Duke and you will be fine. I picked up two dozen Dukes years ago and had nothing but trouble with them - triggers falling apart, springs coming off the trap, rivet in the jaws breaking. Victor Conibears have always served me well, but Sleepy Creek, BMI, and Belisle all make a good trap.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've always run Victors

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Take a look at bridger magnum body grips.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Bridger is the one to get currently, if you're looking for good value at the price point. Victors will get it done, as will Dukes if necessary. Belisle if you want the best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Belisle.

However, if you suspect theft, you might want to run Dukes in those areas.

As a side note, I dunno what species you are after, but 160's are pretty bad azz for everything up to, but Not including, beaver (and they're lighter to pack in numbers and slightly more pet friendly).

Nothing but 330's for Beaver though... but you knew that smile

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never cared much for 220 on land, they do make a fair otter trap.

I never set anything bigger than 120's on land for mink and rats. Coon, Fox and Beaver I used alot of snares, they don't spook anything if the get knocked down and are easier to carry, set and less problem with theft because you don't have the buckets or cubbies.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Nothing wrong with the Dukes, they are not top of the line but they are functional, and with a little tuning will continue to work for many years.

Belisle are considered by many to be top of the line and have many high quality features. Aside from the high price they have one very big downside....when set the jaws are offset too much for them to be used with stakelizers or other bracket style supports.

So I would agee that the bridger magnums are the best bang for the buck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check with Minnesota Trapline Products. They just this past year purchased the Bridger Trap Company and I believe they are attempting to make the body grips traps even better than they already were.

I don't know if it is still happening, but a few years ago I tried some Duke body grip traps and the steel was so soft that when you made a catch the frames became bent. I have had some bridgers for over 5 years that are as good as the day I purchased them new.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Alright I just got three dozen of the new bridger 220 mags and I don't recommend them for this reason: what a freaking mess out of the box, 75% of the springs had round the corner of the jaw. With a good pair of setters I was able to get all the springs set, but it took 3x as long as it should have. IMO a design flaw. The spring naturally pushes the eye over the corner and then is a pain to get back. Could not reasonably be done without setters and for many years I used my hands or a rope. I recently bought 3 dozen of their new 155 mags and didn't have that problem.

If I was buying 220's to use in boxes or buckets, I'd get belisles, and to use in trails with stakelizer I'd go with sleepyr creek. Buy quality and cry once.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Belisles for sure. Yes they are canadian (not that there is anything wrong with that) and more pricey (you get what you pay for), but canadian govt actually has an institute that does extensive studies on traps for their fur industry. Belisles traps usually come out on top. There quality, design and effecienty is about unsurpassed.

I love the safeties on them, they stay put when you need them to, but with the push of the thumb rotate easily out of the way.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have had great luck with the BMI magnums in that size on fisher etc.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Haven't trapped in over 20 years but if you buy Victor traps, you have nothing to worry about.

Quality product.

Yes you can buy cheaper, but in the long run they are worth it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Haven't trapped in over 20 years but if you buy Victor traps, you have nothing to worry about.

Quality product.

Not meaning to offend you, but traps have changed a lot (for the better) in the last 20 years.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Quality product.

Not meaning to offend you, but traps have changed a lot (for the better) in the last 20 years.

Not offended at all. I'm old. grin In what ways have they changed?

My nephew bought a bunch of Duke traps a few years ago and I thought they looked kinda junky.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dukes are functional but not top of the line. Were there any magnum body grippers 20 years ago? There are number available today. The market is forcing inovation through competition. As far as coilsprings go, check out the MBs, they have set the bar high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bridger makes a quality product that is much cheaper than Belisle.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 160user
Bridger makes a quality product that is much cheaper than Belisle.

So I bought several dozen each of the new bridger 155s and 220s. The 155s, no problem. However on the 220s, the spring eyes were extended over the corners of the jaws on most the traps, right out of the box. Major pain in the ass, and would have been impossible to get them all set without a good pair of long handle setters. Design flaw imo.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by readonly
Dukes are functional but not top of the line. Were there any magnum body grippers 20 years ago? There are number available today. The market is forcing inovation through competition. As far as coilsprings go, check out the MBs, they have set the bar high.

What's a 'magnum'? grin

Back in the day we just had 110s, 120s, 220s and 330s.

Glad to hear things are progressing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.