Print Thread
Hop To
O
ottsm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I've always used Remington #10 caps since I can remember but my supply is starting to get low. They are a perfect fit for my Ruger Old Army's and if I do my part they always perform without any issues. All mine date back to when Remington was owned by DuPont. Cabelas still shows the old DuPont logo but that's probably not what they sell.

Midwayusa & Grafs just seems to sell CCI but the reviews are mixed. I've always used CCI for my cartridge primers and they work fine but the overall reviews for the caps does bother me.

Is Remington still the way to go or has the quality also gone down.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Remington is all I use. They improved them awhile back, and are even better now.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
O
ottsm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Wow shipping charges sure are high, been awhile since I had to buy any powder, primers, or caps and all the local stores are either out of business or just don't have anything I want anymore.

I'll be sticking with the Remington's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've used all kinds . i just buy whatever i can find but i agree the #10's do work really well on my blackpowder revolvers.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ottsm
Wow shipping charges sure are high, been awhile since I had to buy any powder, primers, or caps and all the local stores are either out of business or just don't have anything I want anymore.

I'll be sticking with the Remington's.

Not all shipping. It probably includes a HazMat fee.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of the caps I buy go bang. CCI or Remington, magnum or whatever. The only problems I have had is if I let the caps get old or damp. I buy a new tin every deer season and keep them sealed up in a jar.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem #10's work best in my Old Army as well. Powder Valley usually has them in stock and I order them when I order other stuff as needed.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using Remington #10 caps from Cabella's on my revolver. They fit well and I've had no problems.

I shoot #11 CCI magnums on all my rifles and single shot pistols. Those seem to be available just about anywhere.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've always had good luck with Remington primers.

TR

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used CCI primers and percussion caps with equal success... and never had any problems with either product in almost 50 years of use.

I started buying CCI primers when Cascade Cartridge, Inc. (aka "CCI") first began selling them nationwide... which I believe was in the early-to-mid 1960s. I've also used Winchester and Remington primers for my center-fire rifles... and I've never had a complaint with any of 'em.

I try to drive to a local gun shop or reloading supply store to buy powder, primers and percussion caps due to the high Has-Met charges for transporting "dangerous" items. However, with gasoline approaching $4.00 a gallon, a man may find the Has-Met charges "reasonable".

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I, too, have an Old Army that was my father's friend's who passed.

He gave it to me with some stuff including older Remington #11's. They worked well, but I noticed on a couple of nipples that they would slide off.

I ordered replacement nipples from Track of The Wolf that stated they were designed to be used with CCI #11's. What I found was roughly half the time or more I would get a FTF until the next go around the cylinder. Track told me to just lightly sand them. They are better, but still FTF every now and again.

I tried a few of the Remington caps I have and not a problem with firing, but some will slide off.

Reading about your success with #10's has made me wonder if I ought to try that route. My LGS only carries CCI's (only one who carries 777 around me), and caps that may fall off are not wanted here.

Are you using stock nipples or replacements?

I chose Track's nipples made with the Ruger hex head design as I went through a lot to find a 3/16 nut driver for them, and they are stainless, though Blomquist also makes hex head nipples too. Maybe once I get a Remington I'll try his out.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rodwha
I, too, have an Old Army that was my father's friend's who passed.

He gave it to me with some stuff including older Remington #11's. They worked well, but I noticed on a couple of nipples that they would slide off.

I ordered replacement nipples from Track of The Wolf that stated they were designed to be used with CCI #11's. What I found was roughly half the time or more I would get a FTF until the next go around the cylinder. Track told me to just lightly sand them. They are better, but still FTF every now and again.

I tried a few of the Remington caps I have and not a problem with firing, but some will slide off.

Reading about your success with #10's has made me wonder if I ought to try that route. My LGS only carries CCI's (only one who carries 777 around me), and caps that may fall off are not wanted here.

Are you using stock nipples or replacements?

I chose Track's nipples made with the Ruger hex head design as I went through a lot to find a 3/16 nut driver for them, and they are stainless, though Blomquist also makes hex head nipples too. Maybe once I get a Remington I'll try his out.

I'm pretty sure I told you to use Remington #10 caps for that gun.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I don't think we have discussed this before.
Are you using the stock nipples or replacements?

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, we have. I'm Muley. They changed my name here for some odd reason.

I recommended Treso nipples with #10 Rem caps. They fit perfect.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Muley...Mauser...same same. grin

Ooops. I don't recall the advice. Maybe I was just all worked over by being told they were designed for CCI #11's. Sorry.

Are Rem and CCI #10's the same diameter? I'd really prefer to go to one store. But it certainly won't be worth it if I can't get a good fitting cap. I have lightly sanded them. The difference is minimal I suppose.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The #10 will be a little longer. It will fit lower on the taper of the nipple and be tighter.

This will be with the Treso nipples though. I'm not sure what you got from TOW? Even so, the 10's should fit tighter.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What he said was that he gave it the interior dimensions of a Treso with the exterior design of the Ruger.

The flash channel inside the chamber has been shrunk, yet the exterior portion enlarged.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It might work. Give the #10 a try.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.