Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
George,

I've shot several 9.3x62's, as well as rifles chambered for other 9.3's, and they all seem to shoot very well, whether factory or custom.

One little piece of rifle trivia I learned while using one of the Juenke Bullet Concentricity Comparators for a couple of years is that there were far more well-balanced larger-caliber hunting bullets. This has been confirmed by a couple of the major bullet makers.

Of course that would apply about equally to other bullets of about the same diameter, but I have encountered a higher percentage of 9.3x62's that shot extremely well than .35's or .375's, so there may also be something about the case. Or perhaps it's a combination of things, including the generally high quality of 9.3x62 brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
George,

I've shot several 9.3x62's, as well as rifles chambered for other 9.3's, and they all seem to shoot very well, whether factory or custom.

One little piece of rifle trivia I learned while using one of the Juenke Bullet Concentricity Comparators for a couple of years is that there were far more well-balanced larger-caliber hunting bullets. This has been confirmed by a couple of the major bullet makers.

Of course that would apply about equally to other bullets of about the same diameter, but I have encountered a higher percentage of 9.3x62's that shot extremely well than .35's or .375's, so there may also be something about the case. Or perhaps it's a combination of things, including the generally high quality of 9.3x62 brass.

That and, perhaps, more "precise" chambers. IMO.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carrollco
The 35 Whelan is very popular in Mississippi for one reason. Our
Dept. of Wildlife has deemed the use of the .35 Whelan, 45/70 and the .444 Marlin in single shot, suitable for use in our so called "primitive weapons" season. Folks have quit using blackpowder guns and have taken up H & Rs in these calibers complete with scopes as their "primitive weapon" of choice. You can find these 3 calibers - the .35 Whelan, 45/70, and .444 in just about any Walmart in the state. Many use the same gun throughout the year. Beware of the man with one gun syndrome. We have so many deer, second only behind Texas I read recently.Insurance companies love this and probably lobbied for this incusion.Less claims payouts from deer/vehicle collisions.

There are people lobbying the Mississippi Dept of wildlife to do away with the caliber restrictions all together for "primative" weapons season. So far it's on hold but there is pressure to change it. They want people back in the fields putting down deer. My freezer is empty and I plan on doing my part very soon. Until that day comes I'll be using my H&R .35 Whelen. It's very effective on whitetail wink

Last edited by TC1; 10/06/12.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by carrollco
The 35 Whelan is very popular in Mississippi for one reason. Our
Dept. of Wildlife has deemed the use of the .35 Whelan, 45/70 and the .444 Marlin in single shot, suitable for use in our so called "primitive weapons" season. Folks have quit using blackpowder guns and have taken up H & Rs in these calibers complete with scopes as their "primitive weapon" of choice. You can find these 3 calibers - the .35 Whelan, 45/70, and .444 in just about any Walmart in the state. Many use the same gun throughout the year. Beware of the man with one gun syndrome. We have so many deer, second only behind Texas I read recently.Insurance companies love this and probably lobbied for this incusion.Less claims payouts from deer/vehicle collisions.

There are people lobbying the Mississippi Dept of wildlife to do away with the caliber restrictions all together for "primative" weapons season. So far it's on hold but there is pressure to change it. They want people back in the fields putting down deer. My freezer is empty and I plan on doing my part very soon. Until that day comes I'll be using my H&R .35 Whelen. It's very effective on whitetail wink

I'll be using my H&R in .35 Whelen as well.

Just a note to show how nonsensical the regs are -- in addition to being single-shot and .35 caliber or larger, the rifle must have an exposed hammer. So H&R's and similar are legal, but Ruger Number 1's aren't. Oh well. We've come a long way from really primitive.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GSSP and corjack, I was going to congratulate you both on having very accurate rifles and on not drinking any coffee, lattes, or having any familial tremors, etc., before you shot. grin And in view of MD's post, that is still true, but he certainly adds another aspect to the whole thing and I will accept his experience on "bigger" bullets being more concentric, and 9.3s included. It even makes sense: bigger bullets should be able to be made with more uniformity.

However, most owners of R93s cannot keep secret the accuracy of these rifles.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.