Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hello everyone, I've been recently thinking of getting a new aftermarket Boyds stock for my Browning A-Bolt and then bedding it. The only problem is that it is equipped with the BOSS system. Therefor, I am not sure if I could even bed the barreled action since browning uses a rubbery-type bedding compound to dampen the harmonics. Would this project be doomed from the start? I plan on using a hard bedding compound (Devcon 10110). Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by BandanaBandit1; 10/07/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The whole purpose of bedding a rifle is to prevent the action from shifting in the stock under recoil, therefore, you would be doing it a favor by bedding it with something that is solid. Hot melt glue type bedding compounds have no business being anywhere near a firearm.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Malm
The whole purpose of bedding a rifle is to prevent the action from shifting in the stock under recoil, therefore, you would be doing it a favor by bedding it with something that is solid. Hot melt glue type bedding compounds have no business being anywhere near a firearm.

I agree about the hot glue type compounds not being on a firearm but why would Browning specifically use something like that? Ive read on other forums that a hard-type bedding would ruin the purpose of the BOSS attachment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having bedded my share of BOSS equipped Brownings in AcraGlas over the years, and seeing the results first hand, I can assure you that such bedding compounds don't hamper the purpose of the BOSS. And if it were to ruin the purpose of the BOSS, then it would be a win, win, 'cause you could then cut the offending piece off the end of the barrel and have yourself something less annoying. grin

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So I can safely bed my abolt with a hard type bedding and it will not affect the function or accuracy in a negative way?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assuming of course that you are competent at bedding rifles, then yes, that is what I am saying. The BOSS is an adjustable weight that is designed to move forward and backwards in an attempt to fine tune the harmonic rhythm of the "barrel" for a particular load. It has nothing to do with the manner with which the action is bedded or "Bolted" to the stock.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.