Print Thread
Hop To
B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thinkin about gettin a Stoeger upland in either 16 or 20 gauge for dove hunting anyone have experience with these

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I used one in 20 gauge a few years ago and I loved it. Maybe I was just having a good day, but I really shot well with it. If

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If my gunsmith doesn't fix my old Spanish 20 gauge doube some time this century I may end up with one of these.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you should spend a little more money and get a CZ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by C_Hell
I think you should spend a little more money and get a CZ.

+1

The Stoger shotguns I have looked at were just poor quality, but that said I have not touched one in years, maybe there better now.....

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rossileverboy92
Thinkin about gettin a Stoeger upland in either 16 or 20 gauge for dove hunting anyone have experience with these
IF you have the bux - consider one of these instead...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Side-By-Side-Shotguns/BI.aspx?Keywords=SKB

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I like Ithaca sxs guns but I'm not lookin to spend a grand plus on a hunting gun that's why I was looking at the Stoeger uplander a decent lookin gun for a decent price but I'm going to look into the cz's a little more

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How about an over under? The CZ Mallard is priced right and is a good double trigger gun. Street price is just over $500.

B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Had a guy offer me a sxs ithaca and a rem 1100 for a Winchester 94 .30-30 I have that's never been shot thinkin that's prolly what I'm gonna get now

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I love the Ithaca SXS that was made by SKB. They fit me well and are rugged. Don't own one though. By the time I thought I could afford one they were discontinued. Now I don't see them around here at all. With Gunbroker, one may be in my future.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a Stoeger (Amantino) 20 ga. Uplander Special for 6 or 8 years now. It's an English-stocked, double trigger SxS with 24" barrels, 3" chambers and screw-in tubes. I have only shot trap with it. I LOVE IT !!!!! It's of very acceptable quality (better than the Silver Reserve), fit and finish. It is a nickled reciever with gloss bluing. The wood is plain. But the price was modest. My only regret is not getting the 26" barels as I'm 6'2"-ish and the 24's feel just a whisker on the short side to me.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Since my deal fell threw I'm still lookin I like the looks of the uplander special and if I got one it would definalty be a 26 inch barrels 20 gauge I really want a 16 gauge though I wish they made the special in more than just 12 and 20 that's why I've been lookin at the uplander because they make it in a 16 gauge it just doesn't have the sleek look of the special

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have owned a few of the Stoeger Uplander shotguns in 12 ga., 20 gs., and .410 (still have the .410). They are decently balanced, solid shotguns, but with no frills.

My main "problems" with the Uplander aren't just with that model, but are common to most lower priced, modern doubles. The action is pretty slab sided with no "contouring" or decoration. The stocks are a little too thick and "squarish" for my taste and the forearm is WAY too wide and thick (I know it's called a beavertail.....but does it have to look and feel like it was just cut off the beaver?). I also dislike the underrib being "hogged out" with gaps instead of solid.

That said it is a very good value for the money and should give years of service. I grew up shooting L.C. Smith and A.H. Fox shotguns so my standards are pretty high as far as style and looks go.

A "proper" double should be trim, with a very small splinter forearm.....the Stoeger is definitely NOT of this style. "Modern" shooters seem to prefer a more "beefy" gun and wide forearms, so others my not find this style as objectionable. I'd class the Stoeger with the Stevens 311 guns.....solid, servicable, but not "pretty". However, it also doesn't cost anywhere near what an L.C Smith or Fox would cost.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Your exactly right I would get a fox if they weren't so damn much I'm a hunter not a collector so I have guns I use not 30 that sit in the safe and get takin out once every year (not that I have anything against that just can't afford it) So I'm just lookin for a bird gun right now mostly does and pheasant I agree with you though the new style forearms are nowhere near as fitting as the old splinter ones I would like to find a old Ithaca 16 sxs for a decent price

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the CZ Bobwhite has a fairly trim, splinter fore doesn't it ??

They are pretty reasonably priced. But I have not shot one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasRick
They are decently balanced, solid shotguns, but with no frills.

I'd class the Stoeger with the Stevens 311 guns.....solid, servicable, but not "pretty". However, it also doesn't cost anywhere near what an L.C Smith or Fox would cost.

In a nutshell. Yep.

B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I believe the CZ Bobwhite has a fairly trim, splinter fore doesn't it ??

They are pretty reasonably priced. But I have not shot one.

I love cz guns but there about a grand a gun I can get a Stoeger for 400 out the door no where near as good lookin a gun and if you ever get the chance to shoot them both a cz aims much better and is much more comfortable in your hands but as we have been discussing a Stoeger will get the job done and is a very tuff gun they just aren't lookers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might wanna check out Bud's Gun Shop on Gun Broker.

He's got a brand new 20 ga. CZ Bobwhite "Buy it now" for $574. Auction ends around lunchtime today.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=310523909

I have bought guns from Bud's. Never anything but smooth transactions.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 007FJ, 39 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.