Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've talked up my Kuiu gear in the past. One of the selling points (for me at least) has been that it is at least made in North America. Canada might not be the real America, but it's close.

Well, they are moving production to China.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/10/10/vertical-supply-chain/

Weak.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I am not surprised, actually expected this from the outset of this brand. The initial production was here in Vancouver, BC and much "hype" was posted on the Kuiu site concerning how wonderful the Canadian manufacturers were and how great it is to be able to "test" this gear hunting wild sheep here in B.C. and the Canadian N.W.T.

I do NOT buy "China" and I just bought a pair of Wild Things pants made in the USA, I also will buy Westcomb clothing made here in Vancouver, which I find is the finest I have seen in over 50 years of active wearing of top end outdoor clothing. I also do NOT see that "made in Canada" is the same as "made in China" as one of Hairston's bloggers stated on the above link.....I kinda wonder, just how many Stone's rams are shot in China?

Whatever, from what I have seen, Kuiu is going the same route that Sitka went and there is far better gear made in Canada, the USA and Europe for me to buy.....as I have done and will continue to do. I would highly recommend Wild Things Tactical Light shell clothing in place of Kuiu and the pants I just received are simply superb.

Quality in China is superior,,,,well, whatever, I guess that guided "dude hunters" can fantasize about anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kute, we've disagreed in the past but on this subject, we are in 100% agreement. Shame on KUIU for moving their operations to China.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They lost me, I understand, but they lost me as a customer.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Build a customer base on quality made high priced clothing then send production overseas to make a higher profit. Not that I ever would buy anything from Kuiu but I will definitly not be now. Got to pay for all those fancy hunts he takes!

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Yeah, but I'm sure they will pass on a huge cost savings to the customer!

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I understand the whole "global economy" thing, and actually the "vertical supply chain" thing too. I probably wouldn't have reacted the same way had they started out with manufacturing in China, but I also wouldn't have thought as highly of them in the first place.

I don't begrudge a guy making money, and lots of it... and if someone chooses to spend that money on "fancy hunts", or Ferraris or f-ing monster trucks, I couldn't fault him for that.

I know that they have had lead-time and capacity issues with both the materials supplier and the manufacturing. It just hurts to see that work going to China....

I'd encourage any customers, potential customers, or "interested but haven't made the leap" folks to let Jason know what you think of the move at the link above.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is a major bummer. Love their stuff, matter of fact, I just received a pair of the Verde Attack pants in the mail yesterday, and have gaitors arriving on Friday. Sure wish the guy wouldn't have made such a big deal about N. America made when he started and I probably wouldn't care right now.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have done that and am going to continue to oppose the purchase of Chinese goods by Canadians in any way I can.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Crap, just checked my new Verde Attack pants, and the tag does say Made in China. Never thought of checking that since until today they said everything was made in N. America. What a shame.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntr
Crap, just checked my new Verde Attack pants, and the tag does say Made in China. Never thought of checking that since until today they said everything was made in N. America. What a shame.

I'd be pissed about that.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Been a Kuiu fan in the past. Not so much now. Made in North America still means something to me.

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This is one of the two roots of our problem and it dose not matter who you vote for no one wants to address the glodal economy issue. The job will always go to the lowest wage nation. If some one can pay a person in africa or asia two dollars a day why would they pay a person in the US 100 dollars a day to get the same item. Glodalization and legal coruption in government are the two biggest issues we face and no one we vote for will ever address the issues it is not in there best intrest to do so.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I bet they will be right down the street from the xtra-tuf factory.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saw this coming with my dealings with the Sitka company. They drew me in as a dealer, then left me hanging.

I still wear what I've got, but once it wears out, I'm DONE.

Very frustrating. However, our discussion will lead to action, if you stick to principal when you can.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah, but I'm sure they will pass on a huge cost savings to the customer!

This!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm disappointed in the decision. I liked the idea of high quality clothing manufactured by folks making a decent wage and working under decent conditions. I'll continue to wear what I have and enjoy it but doubt I'll buy more. I never had a problem with the lead times, etc. You just had to plan ahead and buy things as they became available or get or preorder lists. It makes me wonder about the guy's business ethics in that people were already unknowingly ordering/receiving the made in China gear before he came out and fessed up to the production change.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, you PAY a substantial price for an item(s) advertised as "Made in Canada", and you RECEIVE an item "made in China", with NO forewarning.

That, to me, is simply poor business ethics and not acceptable. Hairston, is free to have his products made wherever he chooses to, but, I will never buy anything from him under any circumstances.

I prefer the superb "Wild Things Tactical" gear to Kuiu and it is made in the USA.....works REAL well for hunting in BC, from my experience with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanted to give this Kuiu stuff a shot but not if it's made in China. Might have to give that Crye stuff a shot afterall. Damn you Taylor! lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can sympathize with the supply chain issues. I've learned first hand that off shore items aren't necessarily lower quality and aren't necessarily a cost saver. Also, it is easier with most things to get higher volumes off shore. On the flip side, I've also learned that even though it can be painful, it is possible to work with a domestic manufacturer to bring a product up to a high level of quality at an acceptable cost and channel some resources back into an economically blighted area of the country. May not be making a big difference, but I'm sure the 2 people who now are almost solely dedicated to making one of our products appreciate their jobs. I'm guessing it was a big deal to them when we were able to commit to the same level of production in month four when we were only planning on three months of production. God willing, we'll be able to commit to the same level of production for December (month five) and take those two people through Christmas with jobs they can count on. Flipping back to the other side of the equation, I don't have any idea how we'd be able to deal with unit purchase quantities on that product in a reasonable timeframe. Pick your poison. Remembering a snippet from a book I read long ago -- "choose only those paths with heart".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.