-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't been up there for a couple of years. There's 4 of us that hunted together for a long time going to rondezvous at Lost Creek, we'll see what the redgods bring, but it's not going to be the same as humping to the high meadows below Singer in time for legal shooting light.....
Funny thing once during cow season. A grandson of an old friend wanted to start elk hunting and he drew a cow tag. I had already been up the Hag and killed my bull, but we met the boy and his mother at Rawlins a day before the season opened.
I had a good camp spot with plenty of elk sign found on the ridge between Sandstone and Savery. When we got back there to that spot it was full of Nebraska vehicles and what looked like half of the photo shoot for a Cabela's catalog. Found another spot not far from where I had done the scouting. Next morning we hunted and then in the afternoon Zack went out to see what he could do on his own. About an hour later he come back leading a paint horse. I said boy we need to work on your animal identification but thank god you didn't shoot it. Had a big laugh. We carried him a bucket of water and tied him to a tree with some grass to graze, pretty quick here come a pickup from Arkansas with some paniced looking people that were severly happy that someone found their horse.... Weather kicked us out of there a couple of days later, never did get him a shot at a cow, got into some, but they were moving like greased lightning.
After that he never did the cow permit thing again, but we did turn him into quite a bull hunter/killer over the next few years.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got a friend scattered back in lost creek. Don't tell the tree sheriffs. Good luck to you guys next week. We will be on top where water is cold and the bulls are still mouthy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also have an additional cow tag for 21. I was planning on waiting till the first weekend in November to hunt. Do the elk pile out of there if there gets to be a lot of snow? Or should I go this weekend before the general season starts?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
50/50 call. At times, they are very easy to shoot out near McCarty canyon. You can also be in snow up to your azz and spend most of your time chaining up, digging out and winching. If the weather is good you have your own little circus out there as that's it when the snow piles up in the trees.

I prefer hunting them in the trees wearing a t-shirt. That's just me.

Five years ago? McCarty. Now? I wouldn't bet my tag on filling it out there.

Last edited by wyoelk; 10/10/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wyo, I wanted to be scattered about where the spring is on that rock ridge where the warden and his girlfriend built the mansion...
Chester if you're not having to shoot horns, I'ld wait , let the crowds thin and then go find the elk where they are.The weather forecast isnt' looking like anything serious, but I've seen it go from 60 one afternoon, to snow knee deep and caving the tent roof in by 6 the next morning.
Greenridge,and out in those canyons where they built the Pot Hook can hold the elk if the snow gets deep up higher. But where ever you go on the "cow" season, you likely won't be alone..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of stories with old Ron. He is a good guy. His replacement, Kim, is a go getter.

We made Ron bounce his truck into a schithole once to bust a friend turned poacher. It was shock and awe. wink

I had planned to be scattered above a mine at 10000. That went to [bleep] last February.

Last edited by wyoelk; 10/10/12.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the input guys. I think waiting till November sounds like the way to go. Should be a fun time either way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good info in this thread. Thanks

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DAng I guess I didn't know Ron had retired.. Is Steve still deputy out of Baggs?
Looking forward to seeing that country again.

Chester , good luck and have fun, killing a cow in 21 never has been a big problem except for in the mid 80's when there was only something like 50 cow permits for a year or two. Finding horns on the other hand could be a real problem from time to time, unless it was spikes excluded and then it always seemed like there'ld be 2 or 3 of the little buggers almost follow you around...

www.historicshooting.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.