Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you all. It sounds like the best answer is "reload". I'm not ready for it yet & I am a slow starter. It is on the back burner, but factory ammo will just have to do it for the next couple of year. I haven't been shooting much this year anyway. Too busy & too many $$ commitments.

I just thought, for the times I can get out with the 6.5 Swede, what would be the best compromise of price/performance for hunting paper targets.

Thanks all.

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
On the PP- a buddy of mine bought his son a 243 Win and 100 rounds of their ammo just to burn & for brass.

That brass has held up exceptionally well compared to the Win I bought at the same time running hot loads several times and maintaining tight primer pockets.

Just a sample of one, but if their brass is good relative to Win... Besides, we clean our guns for a reason, so dirty is easy to correct...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not only is it hard to find ammunition for this cal where I live, but brass is hard to find as well. And both are pricey. I reload for it, and buy Federal Fusions when on sale........then I get the brass as well.

Haven't tried the Fusions yet at the range or on game, but everything I have read about them accuracy wise is very good.

Interestingly, Federal recommends this bullet in most calibers and weights for deer and smaller game.

HOWEVER, in the swede they recommend the Fusion on game up to elk size.

http://www.fusionammo.com/products/rifle.aspx

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Privy ammo I shot was lower velocity +/- 2,500 in my rifle and yes slightly dirty but the accuracy was good and the bullets though ugly perform very close to the old thicker jacketed Remington Core Lokts on game, which is very good. The cases needed the primer pockets both uniformed and tapered but after preparation the cases were good and out lasted Rem. and Winchester and they had the correct rim diameter. Not in the same class as RWS, Lapua or Norma but they seemed harder than the Norma brass.

The S&B or the Herters version would jamb in my rifle. Not sure why as I tossed them after the second one jammed.

Can't beat RWS or Norma. I think some of the Norma may have a velocity edge but not much since they quit loading to SKAN pressures.

Which ever you choose order a case with the same lot number if you can and you will be set for a long time. From time to time you see deals for surplus ammo and if non corrosive might be worthwhile for plinking.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by seven_miller
The prvi ammo I have shot through my m96 is so dirty that it gets soot on your fingers if you touch any part of an empty case, and chronographed in the 2300 fps range. Remington ammo is much cleaner, faster, and pretty accurate. I haven't tried any other factory loads through that rifle.

That quote is from 9, 2012 but I can update it as of last year 2017

I have a couple of boxes of PRVI 140 gr that I graphed ---->> 2250 fps +/-

It's STILL dirty.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bullets.com still has some 50 count Lapua 100 and 108 gr rounds for 51 & 56 bucks a box. That's half price and some of the best brass on the market, you can't buy the brass for that.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dad went round and round and settled on the Sellior & Belliot. Very good accuracy\consistency in his 6.5x55 but to be honest that CZ . It happens to be the cheapest ammo but he would never use it if feeling it a compromise. Text book on game performance to date. I would certainly pick up box to see how it shot knowing it isn't an expensive test. $16.99 a box at Midway right now.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=jwa
It's STILL dirty.

Jerry[/quote]

Mostly what I shot was when breaking in the barrel so I cleaned more frequently and didn't get any build up. My rifle has a 24 inch barrel and the shorter American lead so that could account for the velocity difference, no free bore.

Checked CRJ's suggestion and even better the 156 Norma Oryx for $25 http://www.bullets.com/products/Ame...er-156-Grain-Oryx-Ammo-Box-of-20/BL10414 This bullet is one of the best for game heavier than deer but works well on deer too.

If I shot factory I would stock up on this, excellent bullet, good brass and less expensive than the brass alone. If I hadn't stocked up on Lapua brass I would buy it just for the brass.

Last edited by Tejano; 05/25/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been looking at Graf's recently to finally start loading for a T3 SL Swede and saw the Lapua sale there too. I'd also look at Nosler's ProShop and look for blems and Over Runs in loaded ammo on a regular weekly basis as there is never a lot of it regulaly like the more popular loadings, but it does come up occasionally. Surprised at finding as much as I did in stock in Swede components in the usual places, based on the last time I owned one of these caliber Tikka's 6-8 years ago....must be the CM Effect, leaving more stuff for the rest of us Swede Shooters.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.