24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but is that now screaming battery you dumbass?

YES.

As are the lights, they are actually operating off the battery, via the inverter. Could be the battery ground, or battery, or bad positive, or.....

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
but is that now screaming battery you dumbass?

YES.

As are the lights, they are actually operating off the battery, via the inverter. Could be the battery ground, or battery, or bad positive, or.....

....bad house battery. Change the battery then see if you have the problem. I'd bet that you won't.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
with all those boats, you surely have another battery around you can try. I've had batteries that were good enough to start a supercharged big block but had similar lighting (and other) problems in the cuddy cabin on our last boat.

Good on 'ya for the Greenlee equipment. You're keeping the wife employed. They make terrific tools.

R
rost495 Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
haha on spare batteries... 2 don't use em, 1 is down( duh... fuggin ethanol have to replace a complete under deck fuel tank next) and the airboat ones aint' great.

I'll size it next time up, run over to wally world, swap and see what gives.

My dumbazz self... I just think plugged in to socket, none of the rest should matter... but I"m wrong... Grins.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mako25
I thought it was "RV's, God's way of saying; "you have too much money and not enough projects.""

I'm tellin' ya. From the day they come off the lot NEW - they're a pain in the kiester. My current model is Keystone something or other, and has had perhaps 50 nights worth of use. In those fifty nights thare have been floods, non-operating electronics, dead batteries, gas valves that won't function, refrigerator that functions as a toaster oven, a slide out - that won't......

Wow.. You 've had some really bad luck.. Considering the 3 we've had from new, only one small issue came up and that was quickly addressed by the dealer..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Will print and check all stuff out the week before deer season.

Motel would be easy, then it would only be a 25 or so mile drive out to the lease every morning and evenign.... yeah right.. grins.

The RV ain't nearly as bad as the 4 boats we own though....

I have not replaced the battery in a LONG time. IE I can't recall when. So that may be a starting point. But its never run off the battery alone ever. Just always plugged in and we keep it plugged in year round in the barn here to keep it charged.

Some ask about flickering... lights flicker to an extent ANY time they are on. I THINK I have one light thats not 12volt, IE takes a normal bulb, and it doesn't flicker that I can recall, that may well have answered the question where to look.

Got all the greenlee stuff.

And won't rule out the cord or end... Have checked the panel in and out.. I've wired houses before and installed panels so thats where I started with trouble... Just dont' have a clue on the 12v or inverter stuff.

Anyone got a clue on how you test an inverter.

While I'm at it, the power jack in the front was intermitent, and the slide has become horribly slow going in and out..... I thought those were 2 age related issues, IE replace both motors... but is that now screaming battery you dumbass?
Now, after reading your last post, I would place money on the inverter (along with the battery - replace that for sure).. They're not that long-lived an item.. I had to replace one on my '06 Cherokee that had gone bad.. And the reason it went bad is I had the mistaken idea that if I plugged in the camper all the time (and over winter) that the inverter would keep the battery charged..

WRONG.. all it did was burn out the inverter.. Never again. But that unit did NOT have a battery isolater switch like the new Raptor has.. All I'm going to do now this fall is put a Battery Tender on it and all should be jake..

Last edited by Redneck; 10/15/12.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
rost495 Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good info that... will replace battery in 2 weeks, and then research the inverters and where the hell it is, and how to test it possibly...

Had not thought of the issue of keeping it plugged in being bad... may have to find a trickle charger at wally world and put that in, in the spring when we bring it back from deer camp.

THanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Battery and inverter.

Replace the battery.

For testing the inverter, use a true RMS DMM and watch it while drawing an actual load. You ~SHOULD~ be able to see the voltage fluctuating. If your fluctuation is greater than 10%, it is out of UL specs and should be replaced.

If you are familiar with a Wiggy, you could also use that to test, as it is an actual draw down meter. But I am reluctant to recommend it, as bad things can happen if you aren't familiar with how one does and doesn't work (intermittent cycle rating).

Good luck. Trouble shooting can be a b!tch.

*Also, while it probably, goes w/o saying, check the Neutral and Ground connections on the inverter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.