24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post. One of my favorites. I've shot a few muleys in the Imnaha. Steep and beautiful country.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve,
I've hunted that country a couple times from the top. Had two extremes- unbelievable cold like you described and no elk to show for it, and balmy warm weather where it didn't get down to freezing in a whole week of hunting.

Absolutely beautiful country, but I was on foot from camp near Memaloose. I would never hunt that country again without horses at the very least. A helicopter would be better...... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good story, thanks for sharing!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like it'll be cold in Desolation this year.... but not THAT cold! Man, Steve, that's just nuts!

No risk of meat spoiling at least!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I remember that year, we packed into the eagle caps and it was a cold one, 85 I think.

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I bet it was 1985 also. It got cold around the first of November and stayed cold with lots of sub zero weather even in Pendleton and Walla Walla.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friend Steve,

I day-hunt from my house. Every day I go to the laundry room and pick out some fresh, dry clothes. I swing by the mocha stand for coffee before heading out to slog around in the rain and mud. I used to feel guilty for not having a more hard-core method of chasing elk, but now...I am thankful for it!

Brrrrr!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

DZ,

thanks for sharing your hunting stories. I'm hunting the Idaho side of hells canyon this year. Heading up this week with a cow tag.

oregon is just across the canyon
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the remembrance.

I know some of what you speak. In 1994, I shot a bull moose on December 6th. The weather that morning was -37C. A very light wind took the windchill to -43C. I managed to locate a 58" moose (net B&C 189 6/8). After the shot and the war hoops and the photos, I thought I had better get the hides off pronto or I would have to chisel them off. Darn near froze my hands getting the lower legs skinned. Spent about 35 minutes warming hands over the heater vent (fortunately I could drive the old Toyota right up beside the beast). I don' know which is worse, freezing the hands, or thawing them, both are very painful. Anyways, once into the heavier muscled areas, and during the gutting, never had to stop again. The heat off the animal kept the hands warm. Four hours, the critter is skinned, gutted, cut into 7 pieces a man can handle and in the back of the red Toyota.

Why do we hunt? It really is like brutal work at times!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice stories, I enjoyed reading them.

We also have Turkey day cow tags this year. Last time it was at a balmy 7 at 7am. I wouldn't want it much worse than that. But I'm setting my gear up a bit differently and assuming its going to be colder. I can always shed layers.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the story and pics!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the stories and pics. You've definitely lived life. I hope to have 1/2 as many worthy stories to share when I'm you're age. Congrats on life.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, nobody would buy a book of crap like this. Just the reminiscences of an old broken-down cowboy. Rodeos, turned pack saddles during a dark night pack, rides through deep snow and freezing to death, getting your foot stepped on by a tall mule ... [bleep], such fun.

You dont think anyone would buy it????? I think it would be a hit. I have ALL of Howard Copenhavers books, read and reread, also some little known guy wink by the name of Elmer Keith wrote a book "Hell, I Was There". I dont think ANYONE ever bought his book and read it wink. I have read and reread that book as well. I for one vote that you write your book, fill it with your pictures as well, and you can retire on the proceeds smile.

Hope you write one someday, I bet a lot of the guys would buy it and read it. Your stories are worth telling and saving in print.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That picture of Karen is one of my favorites. No words needed but are appreciated.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story - thanks! That's some dedication to elk hunting, too!

Dow here in CO I don't think I've ever seen it below -20 and then only once or twice.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff Steve.Nice pics to go with the stories.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great stories. I hunted the Red Deer River country NW of Calgary one year and it was -25 all week.That is the coldest I ever want to hunt.

I can sure appreciate the night riding poetry. We leave camp every morning about two hours before first light.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Steve, was a great story & poem, some of us have never got to ride at night on the mountain, So a book would be the next best thing! Id buy the 1st one! take care friend, hope Karen is still doing well!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
nice story and pics

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
on my very first elk hunt I hunted with a guide named Rudy Rudibaugh( or real close to that). He was an old cowboy and aparently didn't believe in comfort. He took us up to 13000 in the third rifle season in Colorado. During the day it was cold but at night it was brutal, every night it dropped down between -25F and -32F. I slept in my sleeping bag, in my woolrich pants and down jacket with a stocking cap on. I remember waking up and seeing my breath frozen on the side tent where I was sleeping. Rudy gave us a little woodburner that he lit to humor us and that was about it. I can honestly say I've never slept worse in my life than I did that week and have never been so cold. Shot at my first elk on that trip and had a hell of a time. I remember one old bullshytter guide trying to tell me that bull elk droppings had dimples and cow elk dropping didn't and that is how you knew you were tracking a bull, that about a 1000 other lies to try and entertain us. I also remember thinking the camp cook was dumpy brunette chick with potty mouth when I got there and by the end of the week thinking what the hell, if she was willing then,,,,,,.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 78 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.