-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anybody compared Hornady, CCI and Eley for accuracy? I was curious as my gun seems to prefer the Remington ammo that is no longer made. I am about out and my Hornady ammo does not seem to shoot quite as good. I have never tried CCI or Eley. If anyone knows where I can order a box of each on-line to compare witout paying a fortune in shipping I am all ears...

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hawkeye-

I've tried them all in my CZ, and it prefers the Rem/Eley ammo. FYI, there were/are only two companies loading 17 HM2 ammo - Eley and CCI. The Remington ammo was loaded for them by Eley, and the Hornady ammo is loaded by CCI. Until the recent addition of the "lead-free" bullets, all of the 17 HM2 ammo used the same bullet - the Hornady V-Max but with different colors for the plastic tips. I've heard that Eley has quite making their ammo but don't know that for sure. However, it makes me feel good about my purchase of 4 cases of Eley a few years ago!

If you can find the ammo locally, I suggest you bite the greenback, and buy a box or two. But recognize that some rimfires are very sensitive to even small changes from lot to lot...

FWIW, I got my 17 HM2 Eley ammo from Cathy Winstead-Severin at Good Shooting Sales and Service http://www.goodshootinginc.com/index.php?ukey=home. Cathy is an Eley-sponsored shooter and one of the best small-bore silhouette shooters in the nation, and she and her husband, James run a neat mailorder shooting business. I just checked their website and it isn't showing any Eley 17 HM2, but you might contact Cathy to see if she has any leads on where to get the Eley 17HM2 ammo at a fair price. Another website to check is Rimfire Central http://www.rimfirecentral.com ; the users of that website usually have a good idea of where the best rimfire ammo prices can be found.

Good luck!!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the info! I think I will poney up for a brick of the Eley.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Eley in my Savage...shoots & smells the best.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Hawkeye-

I've tried them all in my CZ, and it prefers the Rem/Eley ammo. FYI, there were/are only two companies loading 17 HM2 ammo - Eley and CCI. The Remington ammo was loaded for them by Eley, and the Hornady ammo is loaded by CCI. Until the recent addition of the "lead-free" bullets, all of the 17 HM2 ammo used the same bullet - the Hornady V-Max but with different colors for the plastic tips. I've heard that Eley has quite making their ammo but don't know that for sure. However, it makes me feel good about my purchase of 4 cases of Eley a few years ago!

If you can find the ammo locally, I suggest you bite the greenback, and buy a box or two. But recognize that some rimfires are very sensitive to even small changes from lot to lot...

FWIW, I got my 17 HM2 Eley ammo from Cathy Winstead-Severin at Good Shooting Sales and Service http://www.goodshootinginc.com/index.php?ukey=home. Cathy is an Eley-sponsored shooter and one of the best small-bore silhouette shooters in the nation, and she and her husband, James run a neat mailorder shooting business. I just checked their website and it isn't showing any Eley 17 HM2, but you might contact Cathy to see if she has any leads on where to get the Eley 17HM2 ammo at a fair price. Another website to check is Rimfire Central http://www.rimfirecentral.com ; the users of that website usually have a good idea of where the best rimfire ammo prices can be found.

Good luck!!
yes i know james and cathy quite well shoot with them a bit and they have been to my personal range to pratice great people just bought a stock and barrel from them

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought a bunch of the Eley from Zander's for $2.99 a box in the past. I stocked up on it. It's good, accurate ammo. in my rifle.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use the evil black-tipped CCI. Looks wicked...and it's what is available locally.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tikkanut: I have posted before what a distinctive smell the Eley ammunition gives off upon firing it!
I like it as well.
It is definitely caused by a different powder being used than in the other 17 Mach2 offerings I have shot.

And this: I live in a remote section of Montana and I buy 17 Mach2 ammo when the "price is right" and I see it.
17 Mach2 ammo is not exactly prevalent around here.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Buy online. I bought my last 3 bricks from SGammo at about $4.25 per box. Brick and mortar has it for $6.50-12 a box. No thanks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Eley definitely shoots like the Remington ammo. I had given up locally looking for it and ordered some on-line for $6.50/box + shipping only to stumble upon it in a small sporting goods store in my wife's old home town in Nebraska while we were on vaction. Go figure, I could have saved a bunch by not paying shipping. Decided to go on and buy 250 more rounds anyway so now I have 750 on hand. I never seem to reach a point with ammo where I feel like I really have enough but at least I know where I can get more without paying shipping next time.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.