Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I need to know the pros on a single shot. I use this forum for many of my research projects before I do any purchasing. Everyone seems very knowledgeable. I watch a guy use a single shot with a live cartridge in his other hand and was able to load just as fast as anyone using a bolt action, at least for me. So, are we using a single shoot because of weight during the hunt. I live in the southwest and backpack hunting is pretty much a must.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why not?
If I were calling coyotes on the prairie and I needed quick follow up shots, I'd use an AR style semi auto. If I were hunting dangerous game I'd probably use a double rifle. A lever gun is faster that a bolt if you know how to use it. How many times do you recall needing an immediate second shot. Single shots can be lighter and shorter. One is not limited to magazine length for cartridge OAL. Actions on single shots can be very strong. With single shots such as the Thompson/Center Contender or Encore one can interchange barrels ad infinitum.
Here are a few more reasons why I own single shots, but these are purely subjective.

Best

GWB

[Linked Image]
Cooper model 21, 20 Tactical,

[Linked Image]
Winchester High Wall, 270 WSM

[Linked Image]
Remington 700, 7 STW (yes its a singleshot)

[Linked Image]
Browning High Wall, 30-06

[Linked Image]
Cooper model 38, 22 hornet

[Linked Image]
Cooper model 22, 6.5 x 284

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN7396.jpg[/img]
Remington 700, 22-250

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Bear%20Hunt/IMG_0161.jpg[/img]
Merkel K1 7mm-08

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN5954.jpg[/img]
Ruger #1, 458 Lott
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN5770.jpg[/img]
Martini custom, 30-30 WCF

Last edited by geedubya; 10/17/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I prefer single shots from an aesthetic standpoint. While I have a few bolt actions I just prefer the look and the function of a single shot. In my hunting years there have been very few times that a second shot fired quicker than I can load a round in a single shot would have changed the outcome. I sure don't use single shots for weight savings as some of my rifles go well into 9 pounds with scopes mounted. The lightest is the .30-06 No. 1 RSI at about 8 lbs scoped and the heaviest is a No. 1 in .223. My favorite shooter is a B78 in .25-06.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why not a single shot, after all muzzleloaders are single shot arn't they.
Mine are all H&Rs an New England arms they are fun an deadly an great guns at a price everyone can afford

Last edited by savage62; 10/17/12.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
While I've had a bolt action rifles since 1964, I hunted exclusively with an TC Encore in blackpowder and rifle season for the last 10 years. As Geedubya said, they can be lighter an shorter than most other rifles and offer ecellent accuracy in a smaller package. I especially like hunting in tight cover and the TC fits my style of still hunting in the woods. In MHO, hunting with a single shot forces you to remember all those things you need to do to put the bullet in the right spot. Quick follow up shots be done with practice. By the way, there is a "Cool" factor associated with a single shot. It is hard to explain until you own it, shoot it and get passionate about it.

Last edited by Wingnut53; 10/17/12.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by savage62
Why not a single shot, after all muzzleloaders are single shot arn't they.
Mine are all H&Rs an New England arms they are fun an deadly an great guns at a price everyone can afford

Mic McPherson's book, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle", section 17, has 7 pages on the Handi-Rifle exclusively, it's titled "The(Lack of!!) Trouble with the New England Firearms Handi-Rifle (H&R Ultra

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Miss much, do you?

Hunt Africa while you can
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I could never pick a rifle based on a pros and cons list. Regardless of action, I choose a rifle because I like it. Looks mean a lot to me, and I have never really enjoyed shooting a firearm that I didn't like the looks of. And I don't mean fancy. Many of the classic style single shots have really graceful lines, and even with the plainest wood are things of beauty. One of the rifles I enjoyed shooting the most was an M1884 Trapdoor Springfield. Pulling back that big hammer and dropping a 45-70 into the chamber was a pure delight as was opening the breach and watching that big empty case flip out. Pure pleasure! If you need a reason to hunt with a single shot, just watch the movie "Quigley Down Under".

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
as with every rifle there will be pros and cons of it but like timbo said you should buy a rifle because you like it i have a few single shots i like the simplicity of it they also teach you to make your shot count my favorite is my H&R .45-70 its crazy accurate a easy gun to handle and just has a great look to it and i have dropped several animals with it just the other night i blew a fox in half with it at about 150 yards because it was stealing my chickens

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's no reason for it, we just like them. Well, they are compact and they DO reduce the number of "warning shots" for some shooters, but mostly we like them. How about this for a concept:

Bolts are for benches,
Autos are for trenches,
Levers are for cowboys,
Pumps are for plowboys.
A sportsman shoots a single!

Just kidding!

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't hunt with a Ruger #1 because its a single shot, I hunt with a single shot because that's what a Ruger #1 is. IMHO it is the classiest rifle I can afford.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a single single-shot, a Lo-Wall .22 Hornet bought this past year. Bought it for no other reason than I liked it and its not too common around here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was always fascinated by the Schuetzen rifle articles/pics in the Gun Digest/Shooter's Bible I used to get for Xmas as a kid. And the Ruger #1. My favorite, looks wise, is the Stevens 44-1/2. The lines of those guns just turn my crank. Looks wise, a bolt action just doesn't have "it" for me. So, I've had a 22-250 in a #1, and in an 1885, have an 1885 in .223, 32-40win amd 300H&H, and #1's in 32-30rem and 450-400NE, and a 044-1/2 in 218bee, and a Merkel in 7remmag. I will likely add an 1885 in 6.5x55 and maybe a 375H&H, and I wouldn't mind a CPA, can't decide on what cartridge for that gun(s). And every one I have and have had, was a good shooter.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never have to wonder where I dropped,lost or put the magazine!

Shriners Helping Kids
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I find myself to be a bit more careful about choosing my shots with a single, something is in the back of my mind reminding me that I don't have an instant 2nd shot so I must make the first one perfect. This makes me a better hunter. Having said that, I have found that I can reload the single very quickly.

Second, there is something about the look and feel of the No. 1 that I can't quite describe, it is just "right" to me. Grace or class are terms others have used; I don't know but there is something there when I pick one up that I don't feel with other rifles. Probably I'd feel the same about an 1885 or a Merkel or one of the others.

Much about hunting or other shooting is purely utilitarian, but there is a lot of art imbued into a good single.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The majority of my guns anymore, are single shots. I've shot everything from elephant anf cape buffalo, down to squirrels with them. At my age, the single shot simply adds more fun to the hunt.

maddog

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a single shot addict per se, but I am er #1 fan big time.

The #1's top rnaking in ergonomics, balance, asthetic appeal, ruggedness, affordabilty and flexibilty as a donor platform make them the dominant rilfe in my house.

Their many shortcomings -- mostly fixable -- by no means alter that picture.

1B

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I started hunting with single shots as a kid. When it was time to buy my first rifle, I was hell bent on a 270 Weatherby Magnum. At that time, there were 3 rifles that I could afford in that caliber. Winchester's Model 70, Browning BAR & Ruger No. 1. An old Major I knew had a No. 1 and let me use it for a while. I was sold and found my 1st No. 1 in Jackson, MS for around $550 new. Ever since, I've been collecting No. 1's.

[Linked Image]
I believe that using a single shot, just makes you a better hunter. When using a muzzleloader, you learn to get up close to that big buck or bull. Those skills you learn, carry over to any type hunting you choose.
I too like the look and feel of single shot rifles. They are usually more of an art form. A lot of modern firearms are just more high tech gadgetts that I try to get away from. To me, hunting is all about the basics. Getting back to a slower time I guess. I strongly recommend starting out a new hunter with a single shot. Just makes sence to me.

Support the Wounded Warrier Program. I'll give up my guns if you will give up free speach.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like the feel of the things, especially the Ruger #1S. Great dynamics, 26" barrel that feels like a bolt action 22", carry nice in the hand. My attraction to the single shot is less about the single shot psychology and more about practicality. Okay, maybe a little about the make one shot count, but I sure like these rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.