Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What can I say, I'm young and dumb.

In all likelihood, the 7.5lb 280 Rem+162 A-Maxes will be my companion, but I'd sure like to have a light to mid-weight 308 to hunt with someday as well.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tanner
What can I say, I'm young and dumb.

In all likelihood, the 7.5lb 280 Rem+162 A-Maxes will be my companion, but I'd sure like to have a light to mid-weight 308 .260 to hunt with someday as well.

Fixed it for ya. grin

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Regarding the SWFA SS, why does it have to be so ugly eek eek . I guess $600 makes it more attractive but I'm leaning toward fertilizing the money tree and holding out for the NF. Problem is, I want several.

Interesting to me when folks want reliability, but then complain about looks.

I've always been a function man. A rifle is SIMPLY a tool. It is not art to me, etc... in fact I don't own what most would call a "pretty" rifle at all. Though I'll admit in ordeing MC stocks I sometimes lean towards funky colors because I think its fun, it certainly wouldn't be considered pretty.

Reliability is the key.

SWFA has held up on my 50 bmg now for more than a few years and probably closing in on 500 rounds shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
"It's quite simple. Hunting scopes are not built to withstand hard use because hunters do not demand it. Instead they would rather argue over insignificant differences in "clarity".

Amen brother

Insignificant I'll grant you, but if you can't see it, you can't shoot it. Early and late is when a lot of chances arise....

But of course I can't see putting a rifle in the bed of a truck or on the floor and flying through my pasture. Both of these, no need to have the rifle uncased for that trip, and cases are cheap.

Yes they take bangs and falls and bumps etc in the field and none of mine are scratch/dent free either, but I won't purposely abuse em....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
But of course I can't see putting a rifle in the bed of a truck or on the floor and flying through my pasture. Both of these, no need to have the rifle uncased for that trip, and cases are cheap.

I can't see it either. Its normally a quick, smooth jaunt but hunters were downrange of our intended range (field) and we had to relocate. The rifle in the floor slipped my mind. As in hunting, shiit happens!

IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting to me when folks want reliability, but then complain about looks.

Interesting to me that you missed the fact that I can have both (not to mention a better scope to boot). Of course I've noticed your tendency to only see situations through your own eyes never considering your way isn't the only way, so your comment doesnt surprise me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495
"It's quite simple. Hunting scopes are not built to withstand hard use because hunters do not demand it. Instead they would rather argue over insignificant differences in "clarity".

Amen brother

Insignificant I'll grant you, but if you can't see it, you can't shoot it. Early and late is when a lot of chances arise....

A 6X Leupold will get me past legal shooting light. What more do you need?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
To the OP:

I'm not sure that's a scope problem. How is your B/A bedded to the stock?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Tom, You have a valid point. It is pillar bedded (built by Gradous) with large, heavy, pillars and by all indications the bedding is flawless. There is no rubbing of triggers, magazine box, etc. There appears to be no tension but I haven't dial tested it. The lug is bedded to only touch in rear, meaning you can wiggle the barreled action around before its cinched down. I often wonder if only rear contact is best? My logical thinking says I want it in there tight (but what do I know?) I torque action screws with a quality wrench at 65 in/lbs. I check the torque and all was well.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've had a couple of 6x42 Leupolds and really like the scopes. Plenty bright, light weight, and I've not had one fail. The only thing I didn't like about them was I couldn't get the "perfect" scope. Tried the LRD reticle, but found it too fine for low light shooting. Sent it in for a change to a #4 and M1 elevation turret, but found the center wire on the #4 too coarse (1 MOA) for any kind of precision. Was no need for the center wire to be so coarse, as one could easily use the fat part of the reticle for bracketing vitals in low light at close range, say < 100 yards. Sent it down the road...

Of course no one else makes this "perfect" scope either... My latest attempt is a 3-9 Conquest I'm having a #4 and elevation turret installed in. Just talked to Zeiss and it should be back in about a week. The center wire on the 3-9 Conquest subtends .4 MOA, which will allow for finer crosshair placement than the Leupold #4, and the fat part of the reticle is close enough together for bracketing vitals in poor light at close range. The only thing not quite right is it's a variable and not a fixed 6. I wasn't too concerned with it being a variable until this thread and another in the optics section, talking about how much more reliable fixed power scopes are. The search continues...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hondo, you could have the perfect scope a few years ago; back when Premier Reticles and Leupold were playing nice. Buy the Leupold from Premier and get their #4 installed. THICK outer posts and a thin center line, it was great.

Also the thin opening reticle subtension on 6X was 6" at 100 yards, something that has escaped Leupold. Made for a handy aiming point.

I still have a couple.

Too bad that relationship soured.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't pretend to be expert enough to offer an opinion and have it taken seriously, but ... I still have one. smile

I know that when the B/A can "squirm" within a not-quite-perfectly-fit bedding block, POI can shift. I've seen that with several B/A I had in one particular stock at various times. If that's the case, then a skim-bedding job can help.

I don't, personally, like anything touching the sides or back of the tang on the action, just a pad underneath. I want the cylindrical section of the action to control side to side motion and the recoil lug to control fore and aft motion. I don't want the tang acting as a secondary recoil lug.

Just one madman's opinion, though. smile

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RickF
Hondo, you could have the perfect scope a few years ago; back when Premier Reticles and Leupold were playing nice. Buy the Leupold from Premier and get their #4 installed. THICK outer posts and a thin center line, it was great.

Also the thin opening reticle subtension on 6X was 6" at 100 yards, something that has escaped Leupold. Made for a handy aiming point.

I still have a couple.

Too bad that relationship soured.

That is a serious bummer...

John

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The thicker center for killing critters is just fine, I'm not shooting F-class with the thing

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Just didn't like the reticle covering 4"+ at 400 yards. It looked like it covered even more than that.

John

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The thicker center for killing critters is just fine, I'm not shooting F-class with the thing

I agree. I like the thicker center, its perfect in the low light of the afternoon which is about the only time deer move around here. 4" at 400 or 6" at 600 is not that big of deal. In the haste of the moment I made my longest big game kill at 600 with the scope on 2.5x, the cross hairs covered a lot! Still a clean hit.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Just didn't like the reticle covering 4"+ at 400 yards. It looked like it covered even more than that.

John

Unless you are shooting yearling Key deer I don't see the problem.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
70yr old eyes require better optics. If money were not a problem I would have either a 1x-10x or 2.5x-25x March scope. Money is a factor and I hunt with 3x9 Zeiss and Sworoskis. I do have 4 2.5x8 Leupolds that are good.
I realize that some of you can see in the dark with less than top quality optics, I can't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I cannot imagine that there would be a significant difference in durability between the FXIII 6x42 and the SWFA 6x42.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
jimmyp,

There is. Maybe not enough to tell on the average hunting rifle, but the SWFA is in the Nightforce durability league.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.