Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
5 oz doesn't bother me as much as the size. That thing is as big as my little 308.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i think my kidney is darn close to selling, should be enough for at least one 2.5-10x32 NF laugh

John, what did you mount the 6x SWFA on? I've been eyeing that one for a while for hunting, but like ct, the size of those scopes turns me off for carrying around.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Bob has got it. Scope size, rings, bases, mounting, weight, etc.

IME quite a few of the scope issues are really ring and mount issues. Extreme light weight is awesome. But keep in mind it is also more fragile as a rule. Not in all cases, but most. I know that when I use super lightweight tents, backpacks, stoves, clothes, etc, that the pay off for the lightness is durability. And that's ok. Every choice has a consequence. It just means that my super light MH sleeping bag isn't going to be as durable as my Kifaru. It may only last a year or two of hard use before being worn out. But it may be worth it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tanner
John, what did you mount the 6x SWFA on? I've been eyeing that one for a while for hunting, but like ct, the size of those scopes turns me off for carrying around.

Tanner,

Haven't pulled the trigger on the SWFA 6x yet. Kinda want to put one on my .260, but I just can't see why a fixed 6 should be so dang big and heavy. That thing weighs nearly 1/4 pound more than my conquest 4.5-14, and more still than my 3-9. The 3-9 is at Zeiss having an elevation turret on it and a #4 reticle. Should be back next week. Gonna use that one for hunting and save the 4.5-14 for load development. Of course if one of my conquest pukes on me, I'm gonna wish I was carrying the extra 5 oz.

The S&B 10x that Pat uses is very appealing, but I like to shoot pigs and the small FOV of a fixed 10 at close range concerns me.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Re- SS 6x weight. Tube diameter, tube wall thickness, and everything inside is overbuilt. Size is because they took the 10x and just made it a 6x. I have a Leupold Mark 4 6x40 M3 and while a bit smaller, it is just as heavy.

[Linked Image]

It bothered me at first as it replaced an M8 6x36. However being able to just totally not worry about it and know that when I dialed a shot it was going to be there, soon made me forget all about the weight. The fixed power Ultra M3A and Mark 4 M3's are still probably the strongest most durable scopes ever made. That one was mounted on that rifle for over 4 years before the NF replaced it, and not once did I need to rezero or have a single round go anywhere other than where it should have. That scope has somewhere north of 30K rounds on it and is still the one I use for checking guns.

IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Formidilosus - Are any of the current production Leups worth a look?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
For lightweight rifles the fixed powers are solid. I use quite a few of the 6x with M1 turrets for that. The fixed power MK 4's are fantastically solid but expensive considering the features. The locking turret, 34mm tubed 6.5-20x50, and the Mark 8's have been good as well.

The regular Leupold variables aren't bad per se, just not as good as other options when it comes to the LR game.

For hunting rifles typically the scopes I buy and use anymore are Leupold 6x36mm and 6x40mm for true lightweight rifles, and the NF 2.5-10x32mm and SWFA SS 3-9x42mm for everything else. And I snag the holy grail (Leupold MK4 6x40) when I can find them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
In my opinion the best choices in scopes if you just want them to work all the time-

Leupold fixed 6x
[Linked Image]

Leupold MARK 4 6x
[Linked Image]

Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm

[Linked Image]

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
[Linked Image]

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I hear ya on the Leup 6x. I've had a total of one. The insides completely let loose on the range before I could ever hunt it (on a lightweight 338-06). Its the only scope I've ever had to completely break like this, the parts were rattling around inside the scope. So I'm 0-1 on the Leup fixed 6 and its the worst failure I've ever had. First impressions are hard to kick.

As a side note, regarding your whitetails, apparently they all came from the same property and the gene pool is running thick. They all look alike, especially #2 and #3.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Question - back to the original post, is there any need to return this scope to Leup? I've a feeling all they'll do is look it over and give it a clean bill of health.

Edited to clarify:
The scope was banged around causing a shift in zero. It is still tracking and holding zero fine (short of the beating that caused the shift). The question is, is the scope broken or in need of repair? My assumption is that the vibration was greater than the limits of a spring within spec, causing it to shift, and there is nothing wrong with the scope. Or, is this a sign of weakening springs and the need to replace them?

Last edited by ctsmith; 10/27/12.
IC B3

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
post deleted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Question - back to the original post, is there any need to return this scope to Leup? I've a feeling all they'll do is look it over and give it a clean bill of health.

I have sent multiple scopes back to Leupold. Either they actually fix them or the rough trip through the mail does.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Eddy, The scope was banged around causing a shift in zero. It is still tracking and holding zero fine (short of the beating that caused the shift). The question is, is the scope broken or in need of repair? My assumption is that the vibration was greater than the limits of a spring within spec, causing it to shift, and there is nothing wrong with the scope. Or, is this a sign of weakening springs and the need to replace them?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I hear you on the bad taste regarding the 6x. While not my experience at all, first impressions can be hard to change.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your scope. It probably just got bumped and is fine.

Re: Whitetails. #2 and #3 were from the same area. #1 was about 10 miles away.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This has been an interesting thread, got me to thinking about the money I have wasted on my pampered variable scopes that are very bright and clear and that I usually zero check every chance I get and well I just wonder sometimes why I am changing a few clicks here and there almost all the time.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.