Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by deflave
Contenders are well thought out, trim, minimalist, break action carbines that allow easy experimentation with both rimfire and centerfire cartridges, are a joy to use in the field, and can fill a niche for a lot of rifle loonies.

Encores are mass marketed, ugly, abortions.

Travis

Nailed it.

Agree with this...mostly. I think the Encore handguns are just fine. The Contender can't handle rounds like the .260, 7-08, etc. Where they lost me was what they do with the Encore rifles. If I want a single shot .300 or .375 or even a 25-06 I'm gonna go with a Ruger #1. They do look like sick aberrations with barrels that are out of balance with the rest of the rifle. Now, an Encore 12 gauge slug barrel seems like a good idea for our short-range weapon seasons here in ID along the river bottoms.

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd put my money toward an 870 long before I put it toward an Encore.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have an Encore mainly for the muzzleloader barrel. The centerfire barrels shot OK, but not as good as most of my bolt actions.

The Encore action determines the stock shape as a compromise to be a rifle or a pistol. The rifle stock is therefore awkward, and I found uncomfortable to shoot in calibers .30-06 and larger.

Also, for the price of additional Encore barrels, it's not that great a stretch to buy an additional used bolt action rifle. So, the "one gun to chase everything with" concept does not work for me. Maybe if you live in a jurisdiction where it's hard to buy a rifle, it might make sense.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There's a reason magazine rifles were considered an improvement.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think most have an issue with the fact that nearly every TV show or video is sponsored by TC so that is ALL the "hunters" use. I do like a TC muzzle loader, but I don't know anyone the hunts with a TC rifle or the Encore with a rifle barrel on a regular basis. Spare gun...yes.

It's one thing if the guys on the tube are buying the guns and think they're great, but they're given the guns to use for the show.

I used to fish walleye tournaments. I use Ranger boats. I bought it. I bought it because it's the best boat for what I use it for. I wasn't sponsored by Ranger like many are and didn't switch brands at the drop of a hat because someone gave me $30 more to use their boat.

Kinda the same deal.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by calikooknic
It's not a Rem 700 in a McMillan ( insert their favorite stock here ).

It's even worse if it doesn't have a Leupold.

Why would you use inferior products? Leupold is the best scope for the money IMO, and a lot of others opinions as well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I'd put my money toward an 870 long before I put it toward an Encore.

Travis

and for the money they draw for Encores, you'd have the bad-assiest 870 in the valley.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Plus you could tell chicks to check out your big black tube.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have deliberately stayed out of this as I have little experience with the Encore. A bud has one, and while I do not like the look of the buttstock as compared to the #1, I think it looks OK. I keep wondering if anyone around here has experience with the thumbhole version.

That said, I think they are neat guns that are very capable of excellent hunting accuracy. Nope, not gonna see this design type on the bench rest line, but that was never the intent. The plan was to be able to fit the latest and the greatest cartridge into an interchangeable platform. Nice as the Contender is, it simply cannot do this. Encore not only does it, they do it very-very well, and I for one am thinking seriously about getting one.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
"but I don't know anyone the hunts with a TC rifle or the Encore with a rifle barrel on a regular basis".

There are a few of us out here.

I bought an Icon in 243W in January of this year, and have been very satisfied with it. On it's maiden voyage to the range, I loaded 21 rounds, in groups of 3, using 55gr Nosler BT, 75gr Hornaday Vmax and 80gr Barnes TTSX. 5 of the seven groups were sub-MOA, smallest was .7 and the over-MOA were 1.2" and 1.4".

For your next rifle purchase, take a look at the Icon or Venture.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 12 ga turkey barrel I use on an Encore. I love it...accurate and light which is nice for running and gunning...kicks like a mule though.

I've used a couple as muzzleloaders and killed a lot of deer with them. Played with a few centerfire barrels as well, but didn't hunt much with them....I prefer bolt actions.

I don't watch TV so I'm not forced to be picky concerning the TC rifles....it must be really rough having to hate a rifle because you see folks using them on TV sick ....that TV is some opinion making stuff! wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a Custom Encore in 6.5X55 that will shoot with the best bolt actions made.They are very easy to accurize.I also have a 223 barrel that wreaks havoc on Prairie Rats.It also shoots 1/2" and better.I have one Encore as a dedicated Muzzle loader that is the most accurate one I have.I think that most negative comments are made by people with little or no experience using them or do not know how to make them shoot .To me function beats appearance any day.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
While not pretty my Encore is accurate and functional. It's a tool and I use it as such. Thanks to TC for sponsoring shows that support our interest. Funnier yet is those that love Savage rifles , now talk about ugly. But they do shoot ,however you won't find one in my safe.

Last edited by sidepass; 10/30/12.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

By whom, and for what reason?

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Contender carbine (16.5") .223. I bought it because it seemed to be handy. I do not like the stock. To me, it seems like one kind of has to "wear the stock" rather than use it. A thumb hole would not help, but IMHO, would slow down operating the hammer. Mine is fairly accurate, but I keep stealing the good scopes off it for some other use. I think it is now wearing a 30 year old El Paso Weaver. Plenty good for stuff in the pastures that need shooting. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CZ550

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Custer,for one.
Patton,for another.

Last edited by fluffy; 10/30/12.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They would be ok for about $250.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With a $300.00 rebate. wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fluffy

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Custer,for one.
Patton,for another.

Now that was funny. Good answer.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by fluffy

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Custer,for one.
Patton,for another.

Now that was funny. Good answer.

Historically that is correct, Custer ran rampant through the Civil War cutting Confederate troops to ribbons with a Spencer repeater. The little Bighorn was another story, Indian fighting is different and a single shot was deemed better at the time by the Army...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
451 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.