24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
W
I just picked one up yesterday. It's definately blued. Real nice rifle. I'm really starting to like these new Model 70s.

BP-B2

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Winchester 70 Super Grade Featherweight in .257 Roberts, shoots as nice as it looks also. Have loaded 80 gr. TTSX and 90 gr. GMX, both over 3200 fps and quite accurate.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's a nice stick. If it's a Cabela's, the wood is far better than any that I've handled.

Last edited by MichiganScott; 10/15/12. Reason: spelling

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
That's a nice stick. If it's a Cabela's, the wood is far better than ant that I've handled.

I would bet it is. The only Super Grade offering in that caliber is the Cabelas. Seen three in person so far, but that one of Jay's is the nicest wood I've seen.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 10/14/12.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It is a Cabela's guys, got it in the Maine store. They had 2 and this one had the better wood. It was a tough decision though, they had just dropped the price on some .270 FWT Cabela's specials like $400.00 and one of them had nice wood also. I would bet if these don't move by this time next year they will drop the price on the .257's too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had the same thing happen. The Cabelas near me had three in .257 Roberts...2 ok...and one pretty decent, but not near the look of yours. There was also a .270 with absolutely beautiful wood, much nicer than the .257's, and marked down $400 as well.

Still debating..........

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I ordered my .257 M-70 featherweight from Bud's Gun Shop today. $707 + $8 insurance + 3% for using a credit card. I'll have about $735 in it and then have to pay my FFL dealer about $35 on this end to do the paperwork.

I think a 6 X 36 Leupold will work about right on this rifle.

I'm going to try 115-grain Nosler partitions with IMR-4831 powder first. I'll also try some W-W and Federal factory loads in it.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
I ordered my .257 M-70 featherweight from Bud's Gun Shop today. $707 + $8 insurance + 3% for using a credit card. I'll have about $735 in it and then have to pay my FFL dealer about $35 on this end to do the paperwork.

I'm going to try 115-grain Nosler partitions with IMR-4831 powder first. I'll also try some W-W and Federal factory loads in it.

Nice. Post a pic or two when you get it and let us know how it shoots for you. You going to get a chance to hunt it this year?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

Nice. Post a pic or two when you get it and let us know how it shoots for you. You going to get a chance to hunt it this year?

I'll try to post a few pics and let you know how it shoots. I don't know if I'll get a chance to take it hunting or not this year.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You guys are slow, I got mine a couple of months ago.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw one of the Shot Show .257's at my local Cabelas yesterday. Apparently Cabelas must have ordered a few. It was marked limited on the tag. Only difference was Cabelas wanted $840 for it, a hundred plus what others are selling them for.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, I finally picked up my M-70 featherweight .257 Roberts today. The bluing looks good, as does the wood-to-metal fit, but the wood is unspectacular. I took a few pictures but they didn't turn out so well so I didn't bother to post them.

I probably won't have any range reports for a couple of weeks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jocko, sounds like a twin of mine. I'm not even going to post a picture of it because it looks like the generic Featherweight that Winchester uses in its catalogs. I'm a little disappointed because last years SHOT Show special I ordered had wood that was almost a notch above standard with a good amount of fiddleback.

Mine going to have to wait until next spring for the range because it's hunting season.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Jocko, sounds like a twin of mine. I'm not even going to post a picture of it because it looks like the generic Featherweight that Winchester uses in its catalogs. I'm a little disappointed because last years SHOT Show special I ordered had wood that was almost a notch above standard with a good amount of fiddleback.

Mine going to have to wait until next spring for the range because it's hunting season.

I'm going to Cabela's tomorrow and see what they have in stock. I was a little disappointed with the wood but overall the rilfe is OK. If it shoots good, that's what really matters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Starting to have second thought myself in regards to the plain jane look of these. I have not picked mine up yet, but put a $100 non refundable down on it.

May go the route Jay went and forget my deposit, then put the remainder and then some into one of the new Supergrades. There is a fairly nice .257 Cabelas where I'm at (not as spectacular as Jay's) but nice.

Too bad for a shot show run they didn't upgrade the wood and charge a little more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Followed Jay's lead. Super Grade Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Finally found one with wood I liked, so I jumped on it. Hope it shoots as well as Jay's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's a lot nicer than the ones I saw in Dundee. I'd have spent the coin on one that looked as nice as yours or Jay's. Makes my standard Featherweight's wood look like so much mud.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wacenturion,
Very nice, great looking wood! I have settled on my final load, 42.5 gr. Varget w/ 80 gr. TTSX- shoots little tiny groups in this rifle with no pressure signs at all.
I do believe the quality of these guns is as good as it gets in an American factory rifle. The fit and finish is top shelf. Hope you enjoy that rifle.
Jay

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are you guys liking the standard featherweight? I'm tempted to get one. I dont have the coin for the supergrade but I like those pictures. Anyone have pictures of the wood on the standards?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.