Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Greetings Men,

I have increased my range to 18 yards to date, has anyone got string slapped on the side of the face while trying to hard to get behind the arrow?

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've hit my nose before.If you haven't seen them you should check out the Masters Of The Bare Bow series,particularly the segments by Rod Jenkins.Rod comes to a lot of the events I attend.He is a very nice guy and helped me a lot over the years with my shooting.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks RH, I have a copy of "Shooting the Stick Bow" by Anthony Camera on the way, hope that will help some too.

This 66" Montana Whip is very quite, I love this bow, need to chrono it just for S's & G's.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No but I'm probably doing some thing wrong judging from my track record

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Greetings Men,

I have increased my range to 18 yards to date, has anyone got string slapped on the side of the face while trying to hard to get behind the arrow?

Gunner

You need to twist your string to increase the brace height and this may help solve the problem

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
No but I'm probably doing some thing wrong judging from my track record

Me too DVD, I'm doing everything wrong at close ranges and squeench back a bit when I find what works right. wink

I think traditional bow hunting and killing will be one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had pursuing game animals.

Now, if I'm able to practice enough and get next to a Turkey for a traditional bow kill, that will be pure woods euphoria.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bea175
Greetings Men,

Gunner

You need to twist your string to increase the brace height and this may help solve the problem

Thanks Bea, But if this bow is 52 lbs at 28"s and I'm drawing it 30.5" will it damage the bow, or up the poundage to much by twisting the string?

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't really think increasing the brace will keep you from hitting your face.It would help if you were slapping your wrist.

You have plenty of draw length on a 66" bow. 30.5 won't be a problem.

You can call Dan or check his web site for suggested brace but I figure it is somewhere between 6.5-7.5 inches.You can vary it in that range to help tune it to your arrow or it might just like a certin brace better.The brace it likes will be where it has the least vibration after the shot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Greetings Men,

Gunner

I've been shooting trad bows for about forty-five years and I don't think I've EVER had the string slap me in the face.

Just how are you holding that thing? grin

I KNOW you are doing something right since you've already drawn blood.

What are you using for your anchor point?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Brace must be right RH, I can detect NO vibration after the shot, this thing is like a whispering Cadillac LOL.

Ed, anchor point is most rearward thumb knuckle in right ear hole area against the cartilage in the back of the ear, string just grazed a bit of my right cheek bone area on release.

I was leanin' in to far trying to get a keen bead. blush, will resume shooting in the a.m.

Thanks Men

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My form might be bad but I use my middle finger to the corner of my mouth for my anchor point...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I started with that anchor point Winnie, but was advised by Dan out at Montana Bows to pick a spot a bit further back and higher on my head.

I was shooting high, even a close ranges.

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 11/07/12.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Gunner,
As long as your draw is, just pick an anchor that is the most comfortable and most consistant to you.

I wish I could anchor middle finger at the corner of my mouth as it would get the knock even closer to my eye.I anchor index finger at the corner of my mouth and my jaw perfectly fits in the cup formed by my thumb and index finger.It is what feels best to me and allows the best alignment.

When you get your form straight and aligned properly and your arrows and bow tuned you won't miss right or left unless you make a mistake in your release.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/07/12.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks again RH, Think I have a good anchor spot picked out, very comfortable and repeatable for me, believe when I went to 18 yards I tried to lean into the arrow a bit to far, shot hit center left [9oclock] of where I was looking.

This is a very relaxing and enjoyable exercise in flight manipulation. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Gunner
One thing that helped me the most was to get a target bow of only 30 LBS so that I could put my complete attention on form.A very light bow will also magnify any release problems you have and force you to learn what a good release feels like.

There are plenty of online resources to study form.Learn from the champion target guys though and not the self appointed experts who only shoot exibitions at less than 10 yards.

Just because you've had suscess hunting,doesn't mean you're a great archer or teacher any more than killing a deer with a rifle makes you a Camp Perry contender.

When I started out,I went to the largest shoots I could find.I watched who consistantly placed at the top and when opportunity arrived I asked for help from thoes guys who were willing to help.I'm not some wonderboy but I was lucky enough to get help from an IBO world champion and I went from middle of the road to being able to place in the top 10 at any shoot I've attended with several hundred in my class.

It is just like anything though.To be at the top takes a lot of time and practice.I have been out of competition for a little over a year because of a shoulder injury and at this point it would take at least a couple months to be competitive again.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, I remain gord green and never underestimate any art form, time X's 1000000 is what it's gonna take for me.

The yearling doe was pure luck, a 9 yard shot while standing on my own hind legs, there is light years of experience I do NOT have.

If I continue to enjoy and learn from the sport, I will get there.

Thanks,
Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
shoot no more than ten yards from your target and practice more on your shooting form than accuracy and once you master the form that works best for you, then your accuracy will improve automatically.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Bea, was averaging 3.5" groups at 18 yards last evening before I got string slapped and went in.

The urge to back up for more range is very powerful.

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yes, I remain gord green and never underestimate any art form, time X's 1000000 is what it's gonna take for me.

The yearling doe was pure luck, a 9 yard shot while standing on my own hind legs, there is light years of experience I do NOT have.

If I continue to enjoy and learn from the sport, I will get there.

Thanks,
Gunner

Gunner
Just to clarify,I wasn't refering to your hunting experience or archery ability.There are some in the industry,which I shall not name,that I think don't need to be teaching archers.All their students that I have shot with couldn't hit a target even half the time, though they always assured me they could shoot much better at a live animal.I personally think they are just lucky sometimes.

I said just because you've had hunting suscess but I should have said they have,as I was refering to some archery teachers.I'm not at all that arrogant my friend.Sorry for the poor wording.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/07/12.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No threat detected RH wink, I believe learning from you folks here at the fire, talking with Dan out at Montana Bows, and reading Camera's book along with hours of enjoyable practice is what it's gonna take.

I have always been a humane hunter, I like nothing more than putting a solid clean hit on game animals, that is the very least they deserve. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.