Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Earlier this year I drew my dream tag in my home state of Utah, a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.
Thursday Nov 1 was the opener, I went with my nephew and one of my friends we found a few small ram's quite a few ewe's and lamb's also. On Friday we found a Ram band with 5 mature rams, the biggest ram was awesome on his left side but the right side had 10"-12" broken off. Saturday we tried different area's outside the core of the unit and only found one boobus ram, on the way back to camp while we were in cell phone range my nephew got a call from one of his friends that was hunting in the unit to the west of us, he said they had found a monster ram but he was so far away they did not want to shoot with the equipment that they had "can you come help us in the morning ?"
We drove over to them first thing yesterday morning, did a bit of glassing to find the monster ram again. he was in an area that there was no way of getting closer, with 3 rangefinders between the 5 of us we all came up with 1285 yards.
Big problem I told the guy. my drop chart only goes to 1000yds. My nephew says go somewhere to get cell coverage and call our mutual friend and have him figure it out on his ballistic program, I gave him every bit of info from exact elevation to 20 degree shot angle.
In the mean time the ram had wandered in back of a huge rock so we got the rifle and the scope all dialed in and waited about 15 minutes for him to come back out. when he reappeared he gave us a beautiful broadside shot, my friend squeezed the trigger, the shot went just under him (the rock was a few yards farther back than where we first ranged him) the ram walked a few yards closer (back to the original 1285 yards).
He turned sideways BOOM.... the 160gr Accubond had hit it's mark, the giant ram was dead before it hit the ground.
My friends knew they would have to spend the night recovering the ram so they grabbed their sleeping bags and pack's and headed for the cliffs, cant wait until they get down sometime today so I can see him up close and get pic's. 2 video camera's recorded the shot so I will see if I can get a utube link later when it is posted.

Then I went back to my hunt, found 6 ewes with a so-so ram until dark.........until next weekend, hope shooting my ram will be as much fun as helping my friend.
Work is gonna suck this week.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Desert or Rocky Mountain? What was the score? Basal circumference? Length?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also can we get some specs on the rig? Awesome hunt and good on you for helping a buddy out.

Brett
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Desert or Rocky Mountain? What was the score? Basal circumference? Length?

Rocky Mountain, as far as score they still have not gotten back into cell range yet ( I'm starting to get worried) but judging through the spotting scope we had him at 175 to 178....we will find out shortly I hope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see. So, none of you guys had a tape with you?

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brett_McMurray
Also can we get some specs on the rig? Awesome hunt and good on you for helping a buddy out.

It is built on a Sako AV action (made in 1981) with a McMillan Sako Classic stock (my favorite stock for a hunting rifle), a Shilen MS stainless barrel chambered in 7WSM with a long throat to take advantage of the long magazine.
Topped off with a Leupold 4.5x14 LR with B&C reticle held in place with Burris dual dovetail bases and signature ring's.
For this distance the B&C reticle sucks but I like it for the shorter stuff.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I have tried to explain but you dont seem to understand the Ram and the hunters are still on the mountain.
will get the vital info when they get back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I have tried to explain but you dont seem to understand the Ram and the hunters are still on the mountain.
will get the vital info when they get back.

Boat:

I understood and understand all that. By your account, it seemed that you were there when the ram was killed. The last question was; "...none of you had a tape?".

Maverick

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

JFC who cares what it scored. Have any luck with the Russian ladies lately?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1... sounds like a crazy shot and once in a lifetime type thing to be a part of... who GAF about a tape...

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
More impressive than the shot is judging rams within 3 inches in the field at 1300 yards...even through a scope.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I'm beginning to notice a trend of stupid in your posts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1,285 yards is a looooong ways out. Nice shot!

Is there any reason why you couldn't get closer before taking the shot? Just curious.

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
+1... sounds like a crazy shot and once in a lifetime type thing to be a part of... who GAF about a tape...

Hahahahaha ..... are you kidding me?!!!! ..... what sheep hunter doesn't carry a tape? ..... I've been in the business a long, long, looooong time ...... I've yet to ever see or talk to or guide a sheep hunter who didn't carry a tape in the field and who didn't know the length or circumference of the horns of the ram he killed ..... jeeesh, get real.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Hahahahaha ..... are you kidding me?!!!! ..... what sheep hunter doesn't carry a tape? ..... I've been in the business a long, long, looooong time ...... I've yet to ever see or talk to or guide a sheep hunter who didn't carry a tape in the field and who didn't know the length or circumference of the horns of the ram he killed ..... jeeesh, get real.

I tell you what... if I paid a guy to guide me on a sheep hunt... he best not be busting out a tape on my ram, particularly whilst on the side of the mountain. I could give a [bleep] what a critter 'tapes out at'.... and I think it's a sure sign of a twatsicle when a guy whips out his RackMaster on a dead animal before reaching for his knife....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I tell you what... if I paid a guy to guide me on a sheep hunt... he best not be busting out a tape on my ram, particularly whilst on the side of the mountain. I could give a [bleep] what a critter 'tapes out at'.... and I think it's a sure sign of a twatsicle when a guy whips out his RackMaster on a dead animal before reaching for his knife....

Fully agreed. "Tape-packers" are generally the most disrespectful Aholes I've been around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That'd be like a chick whipping out a ruler and holding it up to your shlong on a first date.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fully agreed. "Tape-packers" are generally the most disrespectful Aholes I've been around.

I must be one. For at least fifty years I been carrying a 10' pocket tape. It has measured tire sizes on drag cars and pick ups, waists on narrow waisted women, back to belly on deer and elk, antlers on deer and elk, and yes before the knife comes out. I don't want blood all over the tape.

By the way the hunt sounds like a blast. Congrats to the hunter.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Tanner
That'd be like a chick whipping out a ruler and holding it up to your shlong on a first date.

Yep. It's just disrespectful.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ringman

I must be one. For at least fifty years I been carrying a 10' pocket tape. It has measured tire sizes on drag cars and pick ups, waists on narrow waisted women, back to belly on deer and elk, antlers on deer and elk, and yes before the knife comes out. I don't want blood all over the tape.

By the way the hunt sounds like a blast. Congrats to the hunter.

JFC. Why does this not surprise me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
387 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.