Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Describe your idea of the perfect shotgun and load for hunting pheasant with springer spaniels.

Thanks, RS

Are you taking a poll of sentimental favorites or shopping for the ideal pheasant gun? wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used a bunch of various shotguns on pheasants- pumps, autoloaders, O/U's and SxS's- in all the different gauges- over the years. The gun du jour in any particular phase of my life was, at the time, the ideal gun. Nowadays, I rely on an LC Smith in one form or another for all of my gunning needs, and wish that I had discovered the virtues of a Smith gun in 12 or 16 gauge for pheasants much earlier in my life!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Having used autos, s x s's, o/u's, my favorite is still the good old American pump..of these my favorite is an 870 I have had for almost 40 years..the barrel has been changed to take chokes, mod is my favorite..my favorite load is 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 - 5's..right now it is WW because that is what I have stocked up on..a second favorite would be either my 37 Ithaca or 31 Rem. both with solid ribs BUT I will have to open the full chokes in both to modified..

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge mfg. in 1948.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I found out it is not a heavy Browning BPS 12 gauge would prefer a LW 20 gauge and LH. Throw out your ideas? I like the Benelli Montefeltro if it was made in LH and 20 gauge.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing is as heavy as a BPS. I love 'em but hate to carry 'em...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Ithaca has bottom ejection and a left hand safety.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I like the Benelli Montefeltro if it was made in LH and 20 gauge.

The safety and cast can be switched to lefty. The ejection port is still wrong, but that's never bothered me.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shoot a Browning Citori 16 ga. and a Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga. The Citori with choke tubes is tough to beat. More open for the start of the season and tighter for late season. You can't beat Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's and #6's.

Last edited by jimdgc; 11/08/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nowadays, I rely on an LC Smith in one form or another for all of my gunning needs, and wish that I had discovered the virtues of a Smith gun in 12 or 16 gauge for pheasants much earlier in my life!

Wise man.
I and Steve Bodio (author of Good Guns) agree with you whole hartedly.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Got to agree with several other posts. A good, well fitting SXS, 12 ga or 16 ga probably choked I/C and Improved Modified.
Two triggers, extractors, # 6 shot (and a few # 5s to buck the wind).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I see a lot of good choices posted here! My favorite for pheasant is a 12 ga. Winchester 23 XTR SxS. It's choked Mod/Full, and loaded with #6 it works just great. If I'm in a 16 ga mood, I grab the Ithaca 37 with a Poly choke.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've carried a bunch over the years.

I shot my first rooster with a full choked 12 ga Model 12. Since then I have carried/tried a 20 ga Browning B-2000, Sweet 16 Auto-5, 16 ga Winchester 24 SxS, 20 ga Winchester 21 SxS, 20 ga Beretta 626 Onyx SxS, Model 12 16 ga, Browning 12 ga Double Auto "Twelvette", Browning 12 ga Double Auto "Twentyweight", and finally a Benelli 20 ga Montefeltro.

To each his own, but here are a few of my observations... 1. There is no perfect gun for all hunting applications, even when limited to just pheasant hunting over dogs 2. Stick with one or two and over time they will become a "natural" extension of your body and you will become a more effective/efficient shot 3. If you are going to shoot a pump or a double triggered gun, stick with "like" guns if you want to consistently kill your birds and not cuss alot 4. Bigger is not always better 5. Seemingly "light" guns get a lot heavier as you get older and "real light" 20's become "just right" and 6. "Gas operated" guns are nice until they get real dirty, fail to eject reliably, and you have to clean them at an inconvenient time (which to me is all of the time!)

With that said, the Model 21 is awful classy, the Browning Double Autos make nice light, reliable 12 gauge field guns, the Browning B2000 20 should have been more popular than it was (much nicer gun in my opinion than the Beretta gas guns) , BUT the Benelli Montefeltro 20 (and I am sure the new ultra light 12's are nice too!) is by far my favorite upland game bird gun, especially when hunting behind dogs!!!

The Benelli "Monte" 20 is light as a feather, ultra reliable and mechanically operated, points effortlessly , carries like a dream all day long, and kills with deadly efficiency when the "Bird Gods" smile down on you and the birds start coming up in 2's, 3's, and 4's (at least in good old Kansas!!!)

Good luck in your quest!!!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
OK-hunting in KANSAS? Go with the pump or an autoloader, and fill the damn thing. Never saw so many pheasants in my life.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lundtroller, We have similar tastes in shotguns. I used a Twelvette for almost 40-years, but eventually had to phase it out due to steel shot requirements in many areas I hunt. I plan on having Mike Orlen install a steel-compatible tube in the Twelvette, but until then I'll suffer the Benelli UL. wink

The Montefeltro is a great option as well. The 20-gauge version is sweet, but I can't shake the utility of the 12-gauge for pheasants in all conditions (even if it's just in my head). When I decided on the UL the Montefeltro was a close second place.

I picked up an M2 for my son this year. He's more techno than me and likes the composite/ComforTech style. I have a son-in-law that's new to hunting over the last couple years that's been using my BPS - a nice safe gun for a newbie. Maybe I'll go for the Benelli trifecta and pick up a Montefeltro for him. whistle

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simson 76E 28" M/F 16ga loaded with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 1 1/8oz #5 nickel plated shot...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The engraver thought so, too. wink
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nowadays, I rely on an LC Smith in one form or another for all of my gunning needs, and wish that I had discovered the virtues of a Smith gun in 12 or 16 gauge for pheasants much earlier in my life!

Wise man.
I and Steve Bodio (author of Good Guns) agree with you whole hartedly.
[Linked Image]

N I C E !!! cool cool

A good friend shoots his with a 16ga Ideal Grade he scored for a good price a while back. I keep trying to steal his Smith, but he is pretty proud of it, understandably. wink These are the Classic American pheasant gun, IMO.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
JOG,

I understand your sentiments re: versatility of the 12 ga.

I bought a nice used left handed Montefeltro 12 ga for my son because they didn't offer the 20 in a left handed version and while it is still a very nice, relatively light gun, there is really no comparison in mind. I just really like ultra light guns that swing and point nicely! I am obviously older, heavier, have slower reflexes and poorer eyes now than my 17 year old son, but I still get on the birds faster and kill more than he does... still the alpha male in the house for a few more years I guess!!!

If I didn't still have the Browning Double Autos, I would probably own one of the Benelli UL 12's like yours. I've held a few and they feel real nice! I just don't hunt waterfowl much any more so the steel shot thing doesn't really affect me with the old Brownings.

One other advantage in my eyes is the Montefeltro's field rib which I prefer to the tapered or trap style ribs on the M1's, M2's, SBE's, and I believe your UL. I know others prefer just the opposite! Good thing we have choices!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't see where non-toxic shot is any problem hunting pheasant. The limits are what...2-4 birds/day? How much shooting is involved? There is plenty of good non-toxic ammo for older guns around, albeit expensive. The cost means the hunter would probably forgo the marginal shots that often cripple birds. wink

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, let's go to the blackboard:

A. I can buy non-toxic shotshells.

Or...

B. I can buy another shotgun.

wink

Robert Frost
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.