To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

GB1

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Pretty cool does it have a heater?

Not built in, but my Mr. Heater portable unit will go if I take my son later in the year when we actually get some cold weather. We will be hunting tomorrow afternoon and I think the high will around 75. So a window AC might come in handy smile

I did tell a friend when I was building it that I wired it for an AC and a flat screen.

Bob.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
That's a sweet looking blind

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fishybobtrout
NO I haven't shot my bow out of it, I did draw it back while sitting in my ground blind chair and it will work fine. The windows are approx 6 inches wide by 16 inches high.

After I put the blind in the field, the narrowness, if that's a word, of the windows restricts your vision for gun hunting and seeing around the field a little, and if I think it needs it after I sit in it a couple of times, I'll just take the bolt cutters and make the 2 middle windows wider and just leave the two closer to the ends the same size.

Bob.

Thanks, I was curious how much side vision you had at full draw out of those windows.

Stan

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
We hunted out our new blind this weekend. No luck, but I checked the trail cams after we got back to camp and the 6 bucks that were hanging out around this field all moved to a field about 600 yards away. I should have pulled the cameras before we hunted. He got a doe at another stand anyway. He told me it was good to not kill a deer every time, that way he would be like a regular hunter. I think he believes he is a super hunter deer killer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We had plenty of room in the blind for us and our gear. I need to get curtains, or some sort of screen material over the end windows at least. Still not decided on making the windows wider or not. I'll sit in there by myself a couple of times before I start cutting.

Bob.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool. Carpet the floor, you'll thank me later. smile

Is it Friday yet?
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
My son told me we need to put a floor in it. I told him I'd get some carpet and put in there for him. As warm as it was I was afraid he'd get some chiggers(red bugs as we call them) so I made sure to dose him with bug spray.

Bob.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool blind!

I've never hunted on a stand or in a blind--it looks painfully boring! Serious question: What do you do in a blind to pass the time? Do you sit and stare out the window the whole time? Or do you read? Play games on your phone? What?

Also, how long do you sit in a blind at time? 2 hours? 4? More?

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
When I'm by myself, I might read a book, listen to a ball game on the radio with headphones, or yes, just look out the windows. If with someone else talk a bit here and there. In most areas where we hunt, and depending on the tract of land, you may not have a large area to roam around in and 90% of the woods are too thick to make any progress in if you could stalk hunt.

In areas where we have enough room to stalk hunt, we can sneak up on green fields which may be anywhere from a couple hundred to several hundred yards long. In the woods you can ease down a logging road (so much of our woods either belongs to, or did belong to paper mills and have planted pines) and still hunt a little. Most of the organized hunting clubs, private or leased land, you have an assigned area to hunt, so stalk or still hunting is not advised.

Public land is mostly bowhunting and on the days when you can take a rifle there are so many hunters out that I've never felt safe being around that many people I don't know with guns.

I grew up hunting deer with dogs and standing on a roadway waiting for the dogs to drive a deer past your location. But that has fallen out of favor these days and stand hunting is prevalant, not only in Alabama, but all over the south.

So partly due to the terrain, property line restrictions and partly due to regional preferences I suppose ,that is the way most hunting is done in the south.

As to how long to sit, generally from daylight to about 9 or 10 am in the morning and from about 4 hours before dark til it gets dark. Or, depending on the time of year and rut activity I might sleep in and sit during the middle of the day. On a 150 acre tract I get to hunt, I may sit on one field for an hour or so, slip over to the next field and sit for a little and so on. So I guess it would be part stand hunting and part still hunting.

Bob.

Last edited by fishybobtrout; 11/13/12.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by fishybobtrout
I could have built it out of pink plastic and after a week or two the deer probably wouldn't pay it any attention.

That looks really nice and would be an excellent option, especially with a kid (or two) in tow! My only recommendation would be to weave in some hunters orange so some dumbazz doesn't pop out of the trees and shoot at a deer in your field with you as the back-drop. Other than that, it looks like a great way to spend some quality time with your super-huntin' deer-killin' young man..... grin

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could have used that thing this weekend. Have a perfect place for it..... it was very cold and windy but had a great view!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waders, I whittle cedar when I am in a blind. Took my Great Niece hunting in one last year and she stopped playing with her I-Phone and wanted to know what I was doing. Told her it was an old mans I-Pad. She wanted to try and became fairly good at it for a beginner. When she came back this year her first question was "do you have another whittling stick"?

Works great to pass the time as you take a few strokes, look around the field and then take a few more. Also, love the smell of fresh cut cedar. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 9 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 716 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,406
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.