Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bambi is a stripper and hooker in New Orleans. I am thinkin Coyotes, Jackrabbits and such with deer as an occasional target when in season. Also Baboons at night with powerful spotlights in Zimbabwe. We are going to want mre than two rounds here, fellas smile

GREAT idea, however, on trimming back the necks to a more useful shorter length. I will definately try this method when I get the rifle (30/30AI wth Peep and GLobe sights) together and running right. THANKS for the tip!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A Savage 99 is the answer to the question. More accurate than any 30/30 94 will ever dream of, comes in many configurations to suit any gun crank, shoot whatever bullet you want, go forth and exercise dominion over the earth and all the creatures on it.

I have a Marlin that does fairly well at 100 yards. Here is a couple of 5 shot groups fired at a public range,....with several witnesses.

[Linked Image]

I used spitzer bullets in a Model 94 30-30 for years. No mis-haps. Finally, I realized that blunt nosed bullets work better at the lower velocities. I see no advantage in spitzers or rubber tipped Hornady bullets. Use them if they work for you but do they?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Barking catfish Batman, that's a shooter! We'll be needing the contact info for the witnesses please... wink
I used Hornady 160 leverevolutions in my wifes 30/30 saddle gun to get a buck a few days ago. No bloodshot meat around the hole which was interesting. Moving too slow? I'm used to massive amounts of bloodshot I guess from 250 Ackley, etc. Speed kills but really messes things up in the process.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/06/12.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Barking catfish Batman, that's a shooter! We'll be needing the contact info for the witnesses please... wink
I used Hornady 160 leverevolutions in my wifes 30/30 saddle gun to get a buck a few days ago. No bloodshot meat around the hole which was interesting. Moving too slow? I'm used to massive amounts of bloodshot I guess from 250 Ackley, etc. Speed kills but really messes things up in the process.

Try massive speeds with Barnes TTSX's. Perfect combination of death ray lethality, uberflat trajectory yet easy on the meat. I have shot a pickup load or three of deer with a 257WBY custom (have built three such rifles) driving various itinerations of the Barnes X bullet at 3800 fps. Deer blaster nirvannah for me, anyways. It will be interesting to see how the Barnes 130's do at 30/30AI speeds.

JBledsoe, that is ONE HECKUVA fine rifle and group there! Congrats!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Hey Safariman.

The group above were a test of the rifle, not the shooter. I must confess, for testing of rifle and loads, I was using one of my 30X bench rest scopes on the rifle, a Marlin 38-55 CB. It's easy when you can see what you're doing.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mark, I understand the spirit of your inquiry and applaud you for investigating. I've shot levers all my life and always doubted the "no spitzer' rule but figured I was just a dumb cowboy so I better err on the side of the caution. Please report back periodically on your results.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Mark, I understand the spirit of your inquiry and applaud you for investigating. I've shot levers all my life and always doubted the "no spitzer' rule but figured I was just a dumb cowboy so I better err on the side of the caution. Please report back periodically on your results.

Must not be too dumb, you get to live in Montana and haven't blown up any model 94's yet. wink

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtrancher

Thank you, John;

The rifle in question is at the gunsmiths shop now, so we shall soon see how this all plays out. BTW, anyone who has read your book(s) knows that you are a LONG ways off from being a dumb cowboy! That 'Awww Shucks' stuff ain't flyin here smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well, bless your heart, but when it comes to technical stuff, as opposed to the artistic, I'm pretty slow on the uptake. Just the same, having shot lever-actions now for 50 years I never could imagine the recoil being so intense that it would ignite a bullet in the magazine. Whether or not there is any great ballistic gain between a spitzer and a round nose is another matter.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.