Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those UTVs I've used or been in with a windscreen have been rather bad in the way they draft the road dust behind the tires to the back of the windshield. I've been covered in dust multiple times.

This does not happen with an open cab. The breeze blows right thru. So do the bottom half windscreens work better? The same? I suppose only a winter use will work no dust just snow.

Anyway lets talk UTV windbreaks for winter driving and what options for summer. I like the idea of a full window for winter and the bottom 1/3 for summer if they actually work without the dust draft phenomena

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Full windows make a huge difference in winter/hunting type weather.It is amazing the heat the center console area puts out with the window up.If you don't have a full window there is know difference in riding a bike or a snowmobile.

Not to mention the rain and snow it keeps out of your face.Without a full window,goggles are appropriate in a UTV just like a snow machine.

Summer..Dust is a problem.Full window and back window keeps the dust out but it is hotter than hell.Even with my window down at 1/3 mask,I sometimes wear goggles on rides with others,alone I rarely do or need them.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huge problem with UTV's. I've found a rear window cuts down tremendously on dust in the cab if you're using a full windshield. I have a Moose fold down front and a Quadgear plastic rear window. No dust in the cab with the front windshield down, and very little with it up.

Last edited by badger; 10/28/12.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The number one reason for all the dust inside your Rhino is because their exhaust is pointed downward, which kicks up all kinds of dust that is then sucked inside the cab. Having a windshield and a back cab enclosure only worsens the problem by causing a vortex inside the cab. I tried three different windshield (full, half, vented) and there wasn't a whole lot of difference when it came to the amount of dust sucked into the cab. Having the air intake inside the cab doesn't help matters either.

I had a muffler shop mod the exhaust on my 07 660 so it went straight out (cost about $50.00) and it dramatically reduced the amount dust both inside the cab and in the air for others following behind. Far better than any gimmicky windshield with vents, etc.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I could se this at +- 10mph or less, but travel down a gravel logging road at 25-30 I'm not seeing that the exhaust is kicking up dust that gets inside the cab.

The dirt and dust from the tires rotating that fast must be hundreds of times the level of dust that the exhaust can cause.

I also have a rancher friend with a Polaris that uses the "stealth exhaust" which he has going out to the side, not down. His dust issues are no different then mine.

The air intake inside the cab is for the transmission. I cannot see even see a minuscule level of suction that would generate a vaccuum of dust while driving or even parked for that matter from the air intake!

I'm not aerodynamics engineer, could be all wrong on this, but I just don't see from a logical standpoint that the direction of the exhaust above 10mph, or the transmission air intake are involved.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The air intake on 2007 and older Rhino's, which mine was, is in the cab! Follow behind your Rhino on an ATV and you'll see just how much dust it kicks up at speed, from the exhaust, as compared to a machine with the exhaust straight out the back! If you don't want suggestion, don't [bleep] ask, but I forgot you're a [bleep] know-it-all! You and Jayco were made for each other!

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sad your life is so miserable that your anger and aggression are so easily triggered from an Internet post. It's stressful for all if us seeing the country falling apart. It's hard to ignore the trouble we are in and worse headed for.

Maybe your right, maybe the Internet and forums like this are not a good place when the worry and stress are overwhelming people. Sorry I offended you, and caused this vulgar outburst. Never my intent, just chatting up thoughts on this forum kinda what I assumed these places were for? In any case

Life always seems to come around, things will either settle in or we will all have to deal with the changes and stresses that come about. But for goodness sakes don't let silly forum non-sense make you angry, just click away and deal with the bigger issues that you have in life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The dust in the cab on Rhino's comes from between the cab and the bed,not the exhaust, and they have several fixes for it, if it is a concern to anyone.It's been a problem since get go with Rhino's...

I suppose if a guy went everywhere in reverse,the exhaust might throw dust in the cab, as mentioned earlier. grin

Jayco

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No anger, just very little tolerance for stupid, and you and your number one ball-boy seem to have the corner on the market.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is just one of the many fixes for the dust in the cab fix for the Yamaha Rhino including the earlier models well know for dust in the cab.

This kit comes with all pieces shown. This kit helps to control the amount of dust coming in to the Cabin area.

[Linked Image]

My Rhino is a 2007 and I have never ever had a problem with dust in the cab do to the exhaust unless as I mentioned,traveling in reverse on a super dusty road....

Following other ATV's/trucks or motorcycles,a full windshield is a huge help in controlling dust in the cab..Even with all the things a guy can do,my wife and I always take a pair of goggles with us just in case,not the cheap ones,ones we would use snowmobiling etc with vents so they don't fog in warm weather.

Jayco

IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some perspective here, I asked the original question so it was not from a " know it all" or I would have already known.

Your exact words were clear: the number one cause is the exhaust, here you are the one with the answer and the assumed knowledge

I very clearly in plain English stated I'm not an aerodynamics engineer so I may be all wrong. Again a " know it all" I am not,.... as clearly stated in that sentence. If I came off that way I would not have written that.

When your option was questioned , the stress from you began. It's clear that questioning your opinion that the absolute cause "number 1cause" threatened you and your very strong opinion.

So it is clear with anyone that has a grade school education that it was your heartbreak over being questions on the "number one cause" threatened your psychological well being.

Whatever dude, you toss around words and phrases that are very clearly reckless. " I was the one with the question, you were the one with the answer I'm not the know it all funny how English works!

Put me on ignore save the stress on your life you don't need me to upset you so bad by pointing out the obvious.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought my Rhino in 2004 - 1st year production. Built a windshield myself with a hinged flip-up bottom section with an arced adjustable bracket on each side. Greatly reduced the dust by letting the air to come straight thru the cab but still keep the wind/rain out of your face.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got a PM from another fella here. He brought to my attention that the bad spot for dust is the back tires throwing up dirt and dust against the space between the bed and the seats.

He told me that when he installed the "Ryde on dust guard" this was eliminated 100% and the ride although still with some dust, is night and day different. He suggested I watch the youtube video.

I went for a look see and I would have to agree that this is the ticket! This Ryde on dust guard has the dust problem covered about as much as is possible with a really quality looking solution.

I wondered about engine heat, but he told me he has used it for years now in Arizona and not had a problem. He did say that the cab is cooler as the engine heat does not come up from between the seats now, but gets diverted out the back. I'm thinking this solution is gonna be headed my way!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They are pretty cool especially the little console that comes with them, but spendy..I suppose a guy could put it on in the summer and take it off in the winter as engine heat really warms the cab in cold weather.

I have done nothing with mine because most of the roads I travel are hard and rocky with little dust.Rhino's are street legal here and we ride ours to the store and all over town and plow others driveways with it and rely on the engine heat in this kind of weather.

It just hasn't been that big of a deal in the country we ride to spend $150 on one.Rather have the under guard plates that protect the floor board from flying rocks the front tires kick up that break or crack the floor board.Got one side gorrila glued from just that.

Jayco

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In Southern Idaho, Utah, and much of eastern Oregon and Wa. the dust in Summer is brutal. I added a filter to the Transmission intake just for this reason.

I would never have had a concern if I still lived in Western Wa. where it's all rocky and wet much of the time.

My Rhino is in getting the bed Line X today. That poor bed takes a beating on the ranch with tools and equipment. Line X is so tough that bed will probably outlast the rest of the machine now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.