Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wife took this pic when we got back to the truck this morning from elk huntin. 4 degrees with -20 windchill and 1.5 feet of snow to trudge through...[Linked Image]

Of course the only elk we saw was 5 big bulls and we only have cow tags! We were the first up the road after the wind blowing for the last 24 hours. We were busting through 3 foot drifts the whole way but luckily it was dry powdery snow that hadn't been packed by the wind. I love elk huntin! Going back for more in the morning!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes me COLD just looking at it!

It was cold here, too, today. 57 degrees, with 55 windchill and no snow. wink

Eric

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great story....but I just remembered why I like to hunt elk in September or October. crazy

You guys are too tough for me! wink

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 11/10/12.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Looks brutal cold.

Last year I hunted deer up there in negative digits with a high in single digits. I couldn't stay out very long, even wearing all the cloths I brought. My hat is off to you guys that do it.

How long do you have to cut them up before they're frozen solid?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure how long it would take to freeze one solid. Not long though in these temps. Every elk I have killed has been when it was above freezing or it hung quartered in a tree for a few days in very cold temps in the bob Marshall so of course it was frozen when we rode out

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reckon your scope looks the same on the inside as it does on the outside? whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it was a cold day here also.-23C

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not inside the scope but the lenses frosted over just as bad. Had the heater blasting for quite a while to thaw everyone and everything out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, that just looks and sounds too cold!! Brrrr!!

Might oughta try one of those rubber scope covers when you get a chance. I thought I had hunted in cold weather but I don't remember my scope ever frosting up like that.

Well, go gettum and good luck.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They weren't frosted like that while we were huntin, just when when we got back in the pickup. Slight snow was fallin so dad and I had our neoprene leupold covers on and I had a rubber "bikini" cover on wife's rifle. Supposed to be -5 when we get out in the morning!

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sounds like good elk hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DeerTracker,

I was poking around that same country too, and looking for a cow as well.

It was damn cold!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yah, I should have known that. Get in where there is some warm and that's when it happened. Me savvy.

Keep us posted on the hunt. Well, after the hunt.

All I got to say is you guys/gals is TOUGH!

And good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys can have that cold weather. It was about +40F when I shot mine this year - damn near perfect.

I've found the game tastes the same either way.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks really cold and was wondering if the lenses were frosted over. Pretty hard to shoot if they are. Almost cost me a shot at a big mulie some years back and I developed a habit of leaving my rifle out in the cold (if it was cold) so it would normalize and not frost over.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They werent frosted over until we got back in the pickup

Today's update...When we left the house, it was -10 out and dead calm. We drove 30 miles up to the mountains and it was 20 degrees but the wind was blowing about 30mph...it sucked to say the least. The snow set up over night so it was alot tougher to get around today. We ran into a buddy who was sitting off the road contemplating whether to try and bust drifts to get to a spot to glass. Figured we could with two pickups and it wasn't to hard to get up to the ridge. We found a spot where a herd had fed all night but it was on private ground on the other side of the fence from some national forest ground...this is what it looked like while glassing...looked like the north pole
[Linked Image]

We thought about gettin out and hiking around the inside the forest fence but decided we better get out before we got drifted in bad. Well it was to late even after only being there 20 minutes. Our tracks were already covered. We got to the edge of the ridge and I let the other guy go first since he had a 3/4 ton duramax and my pickup is only a 1/2 ton. Well he made it down the hill but had to make a corner to go across a built up road across a creek. Well the drift sucked him in and he was stuck beyond horrible. Luckily he left me enough room to get by. He was right on the edge of a 10 foot drop off where the culvert went under the road. I stepped off to find the culvert and sunk to my waist. Well we hooked the tow rope and I backed up within a couple feet of his bumper.

Told the wife to hang on and took a run. We hit the end of the 20 foot rope and I smashed my head off the visor...He moved a couple feet forward but deeper into the snow and farther off the bank. If the snow hadnt been there, he would have rolled over. I backed up and repeated a few times and by the grace of god, he came out. I never thought my 1/2 ton would pull him out and knew it would take alot of work from a tractor to get him out. Good tires helped alot! Didnt get any pictures of him in our sticky situation as the blowing snow felt like razor blades and just didnt even think to take pictures until after the fact. We decided that was the end of the trip for us and headed home. Thank god it wasnt below zero or it would have been unbearable with the wind. Here are a few random pictures from this morning.

This was the road to where we parked yesterday...decided we better not try it. Even if we made it up there, we probably wouldnt have made it back out
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang! Stuff like that takes all the fun out of what should have been a good elk hunt. Better luck next time.

Weather sure looks miserable!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EricM
Makes me COLD just looking at it!

It was cold here, too, today. 57 degrees, with 55 windchill and no snow. wink

Eric

Ah, you Yanks are just too soft....it was a nice cool 34 celcius here today, I put the shop air-conditioner on about an hour ago to freshen things up, and looking out to the west there appears to be thunderstorms in the offering.

...seems okay to me!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Way to go for pushing back on the elements!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well- we haven't enough snow to go tundra trekking with the sno-go's, yet, except on the river and sea ice. (We are desert up here, after all)

I'm going out at daylight (about 11 a.m.) on the 4-wheeler on a tundra look-about, cuz most everyone else in the village are on the sno-go's- running crazy up the river and across the Sound... smile As Robert Frost advised, I'm taking a road less traveled...

Hi today was 2 degrees, with a 10mph wind. About the same tomorrow. Probably near -10 when I leave, just above zero before sunset, when the temps take a nose dive. A 10 mph wind here is considered "calm".......

Dress for it. Ride slow. A Thermos of sugered tea...

Unlike last week (see Alaska forum), I'm leaving the dog at home.

He was gimped up for 2 days- and it's colder now... Poor bastid is nearly as old as I am. smile I'm going to be in so much trouble when I get home.....

And the wife missed her flight from Anchorage today- thus also the short, scheduled, "clean house" envelope...

Boy, am I gonna be in trouble.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.