Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Can you guys recommend a quality shotgun for a fella who wants to get back into pheasants (and maybe some quail and chukar). Don't want multiple shotguns, just one quality, versatile shooter. And what guage to you recommend?

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AyA makes some fine side-bys that are expensive, but not when compared with equivalent guns by other continental makers. As far as guage goes, it depends a lot on whether you reload. If you do, go with a 16, if not, 12 has the most varieties of OTS ammo.

My $0.02 only,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 870 Wingmaster seems to be by far the most popular, I myself like my Ithaca 37 Featherlight. If you want an autoloader, look at a Benelli or Beretta (I shoot a Beretta 391 myself), for doubles look at Berettas, Brownings, and some of the others from name brand manufacturers. I'd probably shy away from some of the cheapy imports though.

12 guage is always available at any store that remotely might sell some shotgun shells.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RupertBear
AyA makes some fine side-bys that are expensive, but not when compared with equivalent guns by other continental makers.

+1
16ga SXS is (IMO) the best all around shotgun ever.
Lots of good factory fodder out there too, so don't let ammo availability sway you.

Second choice for allot less money would be a Red Label 20ga.

As usual,,, JMO

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Double are expensive compared to a good pump or auto..After having tried all styles of shotguns, I prefer a good pump..reliable, rather inexpensive, and you can use all types of ammo in a newer model..My choice would be an 870, probably with a model 37 Ithaca second..Without a doubt a 12 is most versital..with steel required even in some upland areas, to me none of the other ga.s can compete..Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost..to me for the one gun man a 12 is the way to go..We travel quite a bit, and I always take a shotgun..with 10's,12's20's, and 28's in the safe..I have my choice..It is far easier to put the old 870 field in the trailer and several boxes of ammo and the various chokes and be on my way..From gobblers to quail, it will handle it all with ease..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost..

I'm not so sure about that. I think most will agree that Fioche Golden Pheasant is about as good as it gets for hunting loads,and here's an example with the 16 actually being a few cents cheaper for a couple of different loads, and certainly no more for any of it.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/def...p;sort=2a&filter_id_caliber=12+Gauge

Granted, the local hardware store in BF-Egypt might not have 16ga on the shelf, but it's doubtfull they'll have your load of choice either. That's probably why you throw a few boxes of ammo in the trailer along with the shotgun. I mean,, lets face it, as much as the internet comando's like to tout a certain cartrige (30/06, 12ga) because of ammo availability should you loose or leave yours at home, very few of us actually know someone that's been there/done that.
As for variable chokes,,, choke tubes in doubles isn't uncommon, but having two chokes available at the same time is impossible with pumps/auto's.
I'll keep my SXS's and leave the rattling pumps, and jamming autos to the rest.

Again,,, JMO (based on my very biased and narrow minded preferences smile )

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
While the "plus" of two chokes is often emphasized by double users, I have never found it of much use in hunting conditions..Playing games at turkey shoots yes, but in actually hunting no..Look at the great shotgunner, Major Charles Askins, he had doubles bored for the same choke because as I have found, most shots taken by hunters two chokes are of little advantage..I had doubles with screw in chokes..I found to be useful , they had to be pretty close ..As far as an Internet Comando, I have been hunting for more than 50 years..

And as far as Fioche Golden Pheasant ammo, it is pretty popular in trendy stores, I have tried it, it is expensive, the loads usually kick pretty solid, and didn't kill any more game than the good old WW 3 1/4-1 1/4 -5.s..But I guess looking cool is not that important to old hunters.

I know when I walk in to a store, and see almost no 16 ga. ammo on the shelves and bunches of 20 and 12 ga. ammo there..If you can't find you "load of choice" you can find something close..I have NEVER run out of ammo on any trip, as far as a rattling pumps,I will take them everytime over the snob s x s or o/u..The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..I have had all of them....But for me and millions of average guys the good old American pump gun does it all..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far a "snob Hunters with their SXS's" goes, I've been shooting the same gun I bought USED over forty years ago so you can stuff that.
As far as "hunting more than fifty years" goes, so have I so you can stiuff that too.
As far as buying ammo at the "trendy" stores goes, I buy in bulk on-line and have never been STUPID enough to leave my ammo at home, so you can stuff that.
As far as choke tubes go, your theory about them only being usefull in pump guns is also stuffable although my Merkel has both barrels bored IC.
As far as the "comando" statementy goes, I said it toung in cheek and even posted one of those [bleep]-assed smilies so's not to hurt your sensative little feelings, so you can definatly stuff that.
Most of all though, you can stuff that huge chip on your shoulder.
Course, that's just my opinion. (Insert [bleep]-assed smiley here)

Last edited by FieldGrade; 11/12/12.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Normal smucks pick 12 guage, smart olf farts get 20 guage ultra lights and shot 3" shells that are lighter than a 12 guage and have the same amount of shot as a 12 guage but in a better shot distribution pattern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Normal smucks pick 12 guage, smart olf farts get 20 guage ultra lights and shot 3" shells that are lighter than a 12 guage and have the same amount of shot as a 12 guage but in a better shot distribution pattern.

Agreed^
I'd pick a 20 over a 12 every time.
Matter of fact, the only scatter guns I own are a 16 and 20.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While the "plus" of two chokes is often emphasized by double users, I have never found it of much use in hunting conditions.

That is one of the reasons that I like a SxS; the instant option of two chokes. For example, A few weeks ago I was hunting Squaw Butte outside of Emmett, Idaho. I was getting into both valley quail and chukars. The quail were close shots and the chukars were getting up at 30 yards or more. Several times I took a chukar with the tight barrel (3 1/2 points of choke) and was immediately presented with close quail that I took with the open barrel (1 point of choke).

And, many years back, I had some Federal shells that had spent a winter in an unheated shed. Their performance was questionable at best. When the first shell went pfsst and left the wad in the barrel I was able to immediatly switch to the other, unobstructed, barrel. After the shot, I'd ram a piece of wire down the right barrel and clear the wad. What a pita that was.

For waterfowl, I use an 870 simply because I can dunk it in the bathtub and get the mud out of the action before I proceed with a proper cleaning.

Each gun has its place, but for an upland gunner who wants one gun, a twin-trigger SxS is hard to beat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the hands of someone that's practiced and knows how to utilize a 2 barrel-2 trigger gun, there's definitely advantages in some upland hunting situations. I'm thinking flushing birds like pheasants, chukars and huns in open country. Over my setter or springer I'll often put up a bird at 10 yards one time and 30 the next. I just go to what ever barrel seems right. Are they far superior to single barrel guns? No, but they do give you options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try not to get too wrapped up in chokes on my huntign guns.
My favourite gunis a Westley Richards that for some reason or other had been cut, then an extention and a decelerator put on it at a later date, and the barrels have been cut to 26 1/2" so both barrels are cylinder.
I also shoot FFG Goex out if it.
I also have a Greener that iis bored CYL/MOD. and it shoots very well .

Another gun I use , and the one I use most of all my smokeless guns is a Ugartechea in 28 that has IC/MOD barrels.

Last year the wife got me a 40th Anniversary O/U , F.A.I.R. in 16, I had those barrels bored IC/MOD as well, because I feel that they work well.

I often switch up chokes and shoot the close birds with the mod barrel and the longer ones with the IC.

If a person is only going to buy one specific gun , I suggest they get themselves to a range and take a very good look around, talk to as many shooters as they can , and ask them to see their guns, they will possibly let you shoot a round with them - I know i am pleased when someone asks me if they can use one of mine.
This will give you a far better idea on how to make your choice.

Opinions are like azzholes, and for every guy that says you need a 12 gauge for geese there will be another that uses a 20 with no problems, and for every guy that says "get a SXS for birds" there will be another that says "get an O/U" and he will be right next to a guy who loves his 37 Ithaca.
Personally over the years I have had a few FTF's ( a few of them on new guns) and it's nice to know that I have two triggers and two barrels in case one breaks for some reason
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Fieldgrade, apparently you are the one with the chip and can't stand anyone with a different opinion..shoot the 16 if you like..it is a good ga. the guy wanted a gun for phesants and other birds..there is simply noway a young person starting out would be smart to buy a 16..the guns aren't available and neither is the ammo..he apparently was just beginning..With all the ammo and style of guns available in a 12, to me that is the logical place to start..When I am traveling, I stop in almost every gunshop I have the chance to..Seldom do I see a nice 16 on the wall..but 12's are everywhere and lots of 20's..Maybe smart guys picked them up, I don't know but they are tough to find...From the sounds of his post, he wasn't into buying an expensive gun..To get a decent double of quality, you going to spend more than you would for a good pump shotgun..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Asfar as gauge goes, the 20 is as good as any for pheasants and they usually come in a lighter frame than 12's.
Cat

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
cat, you are quite right..20's are fine..Just saw a redone model 31 Rem. in 20 ga. and the fit is perfect..but I have two nice 870 20's at home..I have used them and done very good work with them, but I never had the faith in a 20 that I do in my 12's..Faith is a great part of good shooting for me..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The gun in my avatar with the greater Canadas is a 20 O/U, super fast swinging gun ( 27" barrels), but you are right, if you have no faith in what you are shootng, you will likely not shoot it as well, and you will not ennjoy yourself as much either, and that is what it is all about, isn't it? :>)
Cat

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Quite right..Do you have to use steel in Canada on waterfowl???
What is the make of o/u with 27 " barrels..That is a rather unusual length for barrels on a double..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quite right..Do you have to use steel in Canada on waterfowl???
What is the make of o/u with 27 " barrels..That is a rather unusual length for barrels on a double..

The gun s a FAIR Safari 500 - basically an O/U expressgun gun in 6.5X55, with an accessory set of 20 gauge barrels The length is metrric actually, hence the strange length.
yes I use steel for waterfowl, but only in my modern guns, my vintage SXS guns get loaded with Nice shot and Bismuth.:>)
Cat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the guy wanted a gun for phesants and other birds..there is simply noway a young person starting out would be smart to buy a 16..the guns aren't available and neither is the ammo..he apparently was just beginning..

Really?????
Spin it any way you want to but the OP clearly said he wanted to "get back into" upland hunting.

""Can you guys recommend a quality shotgun for a fella who wants to get back into pheasants (and maybe some quail and chukar). Don't want multiple shotguns, just one quality, versatile shooter. And what guage to you recommend?""

I gave "My" opinion and my opinion only, which YOU immediatly launched an all out assault on, stating,,,

"" Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost.."" and threw in the tired old 30/06-12ga at the local gas station mantra for good measure even though you later admit that you've never personally experienced this internet phenominum (sp?).

Then when I defended my choice by posting a link indicating that your cost assesment was incorrect,,, instead of replying to that statement, you fell back on name calling and condecending remarks akin to what politicians do when they can't back up their stance.

"" And as far as Fioche Golden Pheasant ammo, it is pretty popular in trendy stores,""
"" But looking cool is not that important to old hunters.""
And.
"" as far as a rattling pumps,I will take them everytime over the snob s x s or o/u..The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..""

Soooo,,,, you shoot your pump guns and I'll shoot my old 16GA SXS and my newer 16ga O/U (snob guns) and we'll both be happy.
I will however continue to recommend a 16 or 20 over a 12 due to the lighter weight (he did say "Upland" birds IIRC) wheather a shooters "new to" or "getting back into" hunting despite ammo availability whether precieved or real.
One thing I'm sure you will agree on though, is if said new hunter does forget/loose his shells he'll only do it once reguardess of ga.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.