this pic on another site.

Yeah, I could do this. cool

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I could too. But it would get me so far back into the back country I'd probably never get an elk back out.

I like the idea and it has to be better than the mountain bike I used to ride for turkey hunting.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is not carzy fokes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been trying to rationalize building a fat bike. So thanks for the "excuse" grin

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
saw a guy on a piece of public land one time that had bike himself way in I guess and shot a deer. Seems he either had done it before or thought it out good be fore he left though. He had the deer "riding" the bike while he walked beside it. The seat was up in the body cavity and the legs straddled the wheels and were held in place by bungees. Pretty slick set up.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
The seat was up in the body cavity and the legs straddled the wheels and were held in place by bungees. Pretty slick set up.

Slick indeed!

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Found a great use for my fat bike. I found
this pic on another site.

Yeah, I could do this. cool

[Linked Image]

I like that!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bcolorado;
I trust that this finds you doing acceptably well this cool, wet evening sir.

Although I believe I've shared this tale of woe previously on the 'Fire, as you've brought up the subject of hunting off of a bicycle and the memory is fresh in my mind I thought I'd briefly share it.

Many years ago I purchased a full suspension mountain bike at the local RCMP fund raiser sale of unclaimed bikes - with the hope of hunting from it.

As we had horses at that time, my solution for carrying my rifle was to strap my leather scabbard to the front forks and handle bars - a solution which held the rifle there very well by the way, but made the rifle a little bit slow to get out and into action.

Anyway the first few trips on old skidder trails proved fairly uneventful although I did quickly learn that I was able to move quite silently through the timber and ended up getting quite close to a couple whitetail does because of that and in fact sighted one of the largest whitetail bucks I've seen in BC too.

What I'd not anticipated in my plans - ever - was that I could approach one of the local black bears without them noticing me first as they usually do when I'm on foot.

So it came to be one fine fall morning that as I rounded a tight bend in the trail, I abruptly stopped at what seemed to me at the time like something less than 15 yards from a pretty good sized bear.

As he fed blissfully in front of me, I pondered just how I was going to pull off a quick draw with my rifle - while throwing the bike at the bear and not end up in a tangled mess while actually accomplishing all that.

Truthfully a tangled mess was a good scenario in my mind at that point.

After what seemed like a few minutes, but was in all likelihood just a few seconds, I cautiously and firmly gripped the butt of the rifle and cleared my throat noisily as I pulled it free...

The bear left half way through my gymnastic performance - thankfully heading down the trail instead of towards me as at his rate of travel I'd have had a problem before the rifle was free. laugh

While I did hunt a few more times after that off of the bike, it was never quite as peaceful an experience for me after that bear encounter morning.

Hopefully you enjoyed my story this evening sir and that it didn't dissuade you from trying it out on your own.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts no matter what mode of transportation you choose.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And I was worried about going from 1.95 to 2.2 tires. Those have to be around 3.2.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Dwayne for the great story. I needed a good laugh.

My only critter experience on a bike was with a skunk. Luckily it was on a mountain bike and not on the heavier fat bike.

As I was careening around a corner, barely under control, I came upon a skunk napping in the middle of the trail. I was cleated into the pedals and was able to bunny hop over the skunk just clearing it. By the lack skunk odor I guess it was successful. Definitely a way to get the heart rate up on a ride.

I am hoping we have a good year for snow in the hills. This goofy bike with fat tires compels me to get off my arse and play in the snow. Enjoyed packed trails and frozen lakes last winter. Hoping to ride snowmobile trails this winter.

Besides, bear are in hibernation in the winter... grin

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
3.8 they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh hell yeah!!!

i bike to work year-round here in Minnesota, but the wifey is not too keen on me getting yet another bike, especially after the SS 29er debacle this summer.

Hey, maybe the 29er would work....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My buddies use them for pig hunting all the time. Plus they make a good game hauler.

[Linked Image]

Ted
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've used 'em for scouting, but never actually hunting. Like others here have said, it's pretty easy to get up close before critters figure out what you are - I've been within rock throwing distance of elk and antelope numerous times. The bear story is food for thought...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You [bleep] are a bad influence... I love it.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been useing my bike to hunt deer behind gstes for a couple of years. A bike that had fat tires would work well for yote hunting in the snow.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So why don't you guys take two bikes. That way you would still have one to ride out after you kill something???

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Are you serious????? confused

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am waiting for the fat bikes to gain popularity, become mass marketed, and buy when the price drops 50%... grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, them are FAT.

Brought out 2 six points on this cart.

[Linked Image]

Pulled cart by hand when loaded with meat. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.