Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
cat, Nice Shot, is that a Canadian product??? Never saw it here in the U.S.

Molon Labe
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, U.S. based and excellent stuff!
You can load right across using lead data until you reach about 15,000PSI IIRC.
Soft enough that you can squeeze it with pliars.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks I will look into this for the areas that require notoxic stuff..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as I like doubles, a Mdl 391 Beretta 12ga is an awfully versatile gun.

I have an older Browning B-80, which is just the older Baretta 302 with a little hump, and I have hunted everything I hunt with a shotgun with that Browning.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..I have had all of them....But for me and millions of average guys the good old American pump gun does it all..

I read this about shotguns and laugh my azz off at the guys here who adhere to this line, but insult anyone who shoots a Savage bolt action rifle.

"Won't hunt with any of them ugly rifles...grunt...fart..." grin

I like well made things, and quality doubles fit that preference. I also like to shoot inexpensive guns that work great. I wouldn't trade my Mossberg 835 for any other waterfowl gun or my old H&R Topper in 30-30/410 as a little meat-getting traveling combo. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't think you could go wrong with a Benelli M2 if budget allows...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I too like well made guns..I have had some nice doubles, and still have a good old fox sterlingworth..I have nothing against shooting anything one wants..For me shooting is easier and more natural with pump guns..A well made pump is a nicer weapon to me than a cheaply made double..I also feel ire when folks put down pump guns..Having just came through South Dakota the country it was filled with guys with new o/u's new, hunting clothes, being shuttled around to "hunt" some phesants by lodges charging up to $3500 for a three day hunt..If I came across as nasty sorry, but that is how I felt at the time..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your prime consideration should be carrying weight (and balance, of course) and perfect fit. We don't know if you are a former linebacker or a current jockey - how can we recommend a specific gun for you?

We can tell you some basics about what works for pheasant and quail in terms of cartridges, choke and shot size.

But you need to tell us more about what you are looking for. Semi, pump, side by side, over/under, which do you like? Any action type will do the job perfectly well, and gauges 12, 16, 20 and even 28 can kill upland birds.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shoot clays to get in some practice and learning time. Find what shotgun you like and are comfortable with. I happen to like them all. Go to where the Pheasants, Chukar, Quail, etc are and get some experience. Have fun, be safe and don't make it seem like work.

Really it isn't all that difficult, nor does what you use matter for the most part. Pump, Auto, O/U, SxS? It's all good and the season way to short.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.Having just came through South Dakota the country it was filled with guys with new o/u's new, hunting clothes, being shuttled around to "hunt" some phesants by lodges charging up to $3500 for a three day hunt..If I came across as nasty sorry, but that is how I felt at the time..

While it's not my cup of tea either, why would you give two chits what the guys in SD were doing, or how much their guns, clothes, or lodging costs.
If that's what they like, or the only chance they have to hunt Pheasants who cares.
Your neck must get awfully stiff from constantly looking down your nose at others.

Snobs indeed?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty hard to beat a Beretta 390 or 391 IMO. They will do it all extremely well. Count me as a 12 ga fan. If I get to the point that the difference in weight between a 20 and a 12 really matters, then I probably need to rethink my hunting hobby. People can talk about how they are almost as good as a 12 ga....funny thing is, they keep comparing them to the 12 ga. But everyone has their opinion.

Best advice I can give you....find a gun that fits you and you can hit with it. That is your No. 1 priority. Action type is secondary. If you go out and purchase some fancy-schmancy double and cant hit with it, it is almost worthless to you as a hunting gun.

Personally not a fan of pump guns. I have seen too many jam from either gun failure or short stroking. Either results in the same 4 letter word being tossed about! I know, I know, the next poster will have been hunting for 80 years with his pump and shot 15,000 birds with it and never had a problem, but that has been my experience. Note also that I am not a fan of cheap autos. They tend to extract the same 4 letter word.

Having said that, if you want to stay on the cheap side to make sure you want to get into this upland hunting thing...I would prolly recommend a pump. Wont cost you much and you can sell it for almost what you pay for it. Then, if you like the sport, go buy a nicer gun that hopefully you had a chance to try somewhere along the line.

Remember, find one that fits and you can hit with it!!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Field Grade what I care about is really none of your business..I have tried to be polite, but obviously you don't get it..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too like well made guns..I have had some nice doubles, and still have a good old fox sterlingworth..I have nothing against shooting anything one wants..For me shooting is easier and more natural with pump guns..A well made pump is a nicer weapon to me than a cheaply made double..I also feel ire when folks put down pump guns..Having just came through South Dakota the country it was filled with guys with new o/u's new, hunting clothes, being shuttled around to "hunt" some pheasants by lodges charging up to $3500 for a three day hunt..If I came across as nasty sorry, but that is how I felt at the time..

LOL...no arguments here. grin wink

I'm partial to the old Remington Mdl 31 pump gun.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.Look at the great shotgunner, Major Charles Askins, he had doubles bored for the same choke because as I have found, most shots taken by hunters two chokes are of little advantage..

Speaking of the Major, check out this link.

DF

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Major Askins liked longer barrels, like 28" in an O/U, and he liked open chokes for his style of shooting. He loved to hunt desert quail.

The link above is about his personal Browning Superposed that I ended up with. It's quite an interesting story with a lot of info about him and the Askins family, including son, Colonel Charles Askins, Jr. and grandson, Bill.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We have been through most choices so I will venture into fantasy. grin

Not sure I would want this particular shotgun for wild Pheasant and Chukars are a foreign gamebird for me. However, for Ruffed Grouse and Quail I let a 32inch MX28 28g Perazzi slip by on a 28 ga frame, because I couldn't justify spending that much money. Today the same shotgun is $5000 more and I spent the money on something else.

Call me elitist WCH-big smile and grin on this end, I'm just funning-but it was just about the sweetest shotgun I have ever picked up. It looked like this, except you can't see how long, lean and quick it was.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Field Grade what I care about is really none of your business..I have tried to be polite, but obviously you don't get it..

LOL
What part of being polite should I have gotten?
The part where you called me a snob?
Or the part where you implied that I wasn't smart enought to know a good load from a bad one and only buy shells because they're trendy?

Carefull you don't fall off that high horse of yours. It's a long way to the ground.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.