Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LBSmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Finally got some snow on the ground up here and man was it great! Bucks were out in full force Sunday. I seen 28 bucks total, If I had to guess on the does I probably seen around 70 or so. I seen one buck yesterday that was a big ole boy but never did get a shot. I wanted to try my hand at longer shots this year as I had a long distance rifle built last year and I have been praticing about 3 or 4 time a week since I got it. Every buck I seen today was under 400 and I wanted something around the 7 or 800 mark. This buck was only at 605 yards and I had myself talked out of shooting him for a while because I wanted a farther shot. But after looking him over for a good 30 minutes I decided to take him. I dialed my scope up 2.4 mils(zeroed @300) and I had to hold about a 1/4 mil for wind. Perfect shot. My set up is a 300 WSM built by Bison Barrels out of Gillette WY. I used a 180 grain Hornady SST, I shoot them at 3075 FPS. My scope is a Burris MTAC 6.5x20x50 mil/mil.

The buck has great back forks and some trash but very small front forks.

[Linked Image]

Lucas

Lucas

Well its a dog eat dog, eat cat too, French eat frog, and I'll eat you....
BP-B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Nice buck. Guess you could have stood up and waved your arms if you needed him further away.

I found a wizard and asked him if he can remove a curse I had been living with for the last 20 years. The Wizard says, "What were the exact words that were used to put the curse on you." I say without hesitation, "I now pronounce you man and wife."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LBSmith
Every buck I seen today was under 400 and I wanted something around the 7 or 800 mark. This buck was only at 605 yards and I had myself talked out of shooting him for a while because I wanted a farther shot.

No place for this in hunting, Great shot, good hunt, good deer, poor attitude. JMHO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Every buck I seen today was under 400 and I wanted something around the 7 or 800 mark. This buck was only at 605 yards and I had myself talked out of shooting him for a while because I wanted a farther shot.

No place for this in hunting, Great shot, good hunt, good deer, poor attitude. JMHO

You do know this is the long range hunting forum,,,,right? I'm not big on long shots but if a man puts his time and practice in and has the equipment, its all good.
Great buck and I would have liked to be your back up man for those chip shots. If the big boy was a lot bigger than that, you sir have more restraint than I will ever have.

God Bless,
MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heavywalker,

poor attitude. JMHO

Upon what do you base JMHO?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have no problem with long range shots. I have taken them, and many people that I have hunted with have taken them, with success. If you look at my posts here in the past I have supported the practice and have many threads that I started myself. However, I have never went hunting hoping for a long shot and even passing animals up in order to get a long shot. Treating an animal as if it is target practice is not in the spirit of hunting as I know it. I don't think long shots are something to be taken in order to stroke ones ego, rather they should be taken when conditions warrant and no other opportunities present themselves.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Other forums out there...

And so whats wrong with long vs other choices we make. This argument never ceases to amaze me. There is no 100% foolproof weapon or shot.

Do the best you can, know your limitations and stay inside of them, the rest is no one else's business.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice buck and excellent shooting..congradulations..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats, Very nice I see why you couldn't pass him up! I went cow elk hunting in Oct. All set up for long range . Spotted a herd 1/2 mile away. Snuck in to edge of meadow but saw a butt go in to trees. Cranked scope down to 4.5 and dialed to 100 yards . I could smell elk so I did a cow call .a big cow stood up . Bam, shot her at 41 yards in the head. So much for long range !

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice buck, 605 yards is long range to me.

Ed

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a long distance rifle built last year and I have been praticing about 3 or 4 time a week since I got it. Every buck I seen today was under 400 and I wanted something around the 7 or 800 mark. This buck was only at 605 yards and I had myself talked out of shooting him

Good job, reminds me of someone I know. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rost495

And so whats wrong with long vs other choices we make. This argument never ceases to amaze me. There is no 100% foolproof weapon or shot.

Do the best you can, know your limitations and stay inside of them, the rest is no one else's business.

I'm not criticizing the shot and it is a great deer. However, when you post what you did on a public forum, you've made it everybody's business.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Treating an animal as if it is target practice is not in the spirit of hunting as I know it. I don't think long shots are something to be taken in order to stroke ones ego, rather they should be taken when conditions warrant and no other opportunities present themselves.

Oh brother...here we go again....

His wife can take a long shot on a cow elk and he'll no doubt tell us she could not get closer even though they set up for it in the first place.

I see a double standard here.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats! Nice shooting, and a great buck.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice shot and nice buck. Keep doing what your doing and I think you have an great attitude in that you practice with your equipment before taking it afield.

Nothing wrong with taking them way out there.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you wanted a 700+ yard shot, then why did you take one closer than that?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SU35
Treating an animal as if it is target practice is not in the spirit of hunting as I know it. I don't think long shots are something to be taken in order to stroke ones ego, rather they should be taken when conditions warrant and no other opportunities present themselves.

Oh brother...here we go again....

His wife can take a long shot on a cow elk and he'll no doubt tell us she could not get closer even though they set up for it in the first place.

I see a double standard here.

Well if anyone cared to read what I wrote they would see that I have no problem with the distance of the shot that he took. I would have no problem if he took an 800 yard shot as he indicated. I simply stated that passing up animals for the express purpose of attempting a longer shot is the wrong attitude to have when hunting.

Again I congratulate him on his shot, he obviously took the time and effort in the off season to pull it off. Great deer, Great hunt, etc...

I realize that this is his first buck shot at long range and maybe he is a little excited about the prospects of being able to make such a shot, but I think that in time he will realize that heading out just to take shots at long range is not the way it should be done.

Again Congrats, I certainly don't want to hijack the thread this is the last I will say on the matter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I simply stated that passing up animals for the express purpose of attempting a longer shot is the wrong attitude to have when hunting

I couldn't agree more.

As far as I'm concerned, take what you can get and don't pass on anything simply because it's too close.

Game animals are not steel targets. A poor shot matters.

That being said, Congratulations on one unique Muley and one heck of a nice shot!!!!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heavywalker,

It certainly seems like you and look at game animals differently. To me they are to be enjoyed whether I am watching them or shooting at them or eating them. They are not more special than a rat in the alley.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
heavywalker,

It certainly seems like you and look at game animals differently. To me they are to be enjoyed whether I am watching them or shooting at them or eating them. They are not more special than a rat in the alley.

??????

So you get the same enjoyment from NY city alley rats as Big Game, assigning them the same value?

I hope that was just a keyboard fart

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.