Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
res45, sorry I have not shot the 311466 in a Mosin as I don't have a Mosin anymore. I do shoot it in my 30-06 and it's a good bullet.

Can you get your Lee bullet pictured big enough for your Mosin? That would be a dandy.

What dia do you need for your Mosin?

What alloy are you using on the 314466?
What velocity are you shooting them?

You may already have a good bullet.

Last edited by blammer; 11/15/12.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can you get your Lee bullet pictured big enough for your Mosin? That would be a dandy.

The Lee .309 170 gr. bullet drops from the mold close to .311 I just use a .311 sizer to put the gas checks on when there needed. I tried to beagle the mold a couple years ago to fatten it up for the Mosin but the bullet just came out to out of round with some pretty bad fins to be useful without a lot of work getting them off.

What dia do you need for your Mosin?

My Mosin has a .312 groove bore,the Lee 160 gr. TL GC bullet drops from the mold a .313.5" I apply a gas check with a .314 push through sizer and it works fine in both my SKS rifle and the Mosin. The fattest bullet that I can chamber in the Mosin is a .314" bullet using Prvi and Win. brass anything larger want chamber without turning the case neck down.

In the Lee 170 gr.FN bullet I use plain old WW alloy 7.0 grs. Red Dot two coats of Alox/JPW lube for general purpose plinking and leave the GC off. I shoot those at around 1200+ fps.

For the BG load I use a 30:1 Lead/Tin alloy,pop the GC on and ranch dip the bullets in Alox/JPW lube after there dry I run them back through the sizer to clean them up. I settled on a load of H-335 that gets me up to around 2K fps.

The NOE .314466 looks like a good bullet for my Mosin I also have a .313" sizer I got on closeout from Ranch Dog for $8 that I can use on that bullet as well if the .314 fits to tightly in the chamber. Guess I'm going to have to pull the trigger on that mold and just get it and see how it does.

What velocity are you shooting them?

Currently using the Lee 160 gr. TL GC bullet I getting between 1600 & 1700 fps. in my Russian M44 using 16.0 grs. of Alliant 2400 I haven't really tried to push it any faster because it shoots so accurately. I figure if I can get a good FN bullet to shoot as well as the RN design I'll be good to go. I can cover 5 shot with a quarter at 50 yrd. on a regular basis using the Lee bullet.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Using the WW alloy you have and the velocity of 1600-1700 (guessed, no chrono?) you should do just fine for deer hunting with that. I'd aim for bone, line the heart/lungs up with a near side or off side shoulder and pull the trigger. You'll have your venison.
Personally I'd stay 100yds or closer and you'll do fine.

My 311284 was probably moving around 1700fps when it hit the deer at 160yds. Hit a rib going and coming and the heart in the middle. She ran 100yds and piled up. Not a hard tracking job either. :)No bullet recovery.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can always take your undersized lubed bullets and squash them with a flat nosed punch inside the sizing die to fatten them up. smile

May want to try that, you'll get a FN bullet and it'll be larger. smile it's been done before.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you may want this one, it drops at .314

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=80

the other one drops at .311

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blammer
you may want this one, it drops at .314

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=80

the other one drops at .311

Thats the mold I was asking about the .314466 in my previous post wondering if you had shot it in a Mosin rifle,not the .311 version.

I do chrono all my loads I just couldn't remember the exact fps. average I got on the Mosin load so i just gave you a ball park figure I know it's within without going out to the shop and getting my log book.

100 yds. is about the average Max.range I can shoot at in my part of the country,as I hunt in mostly heavily wooded areas from a stand generally between 40 to 75 yrs. is the norm.

Last edited by res45; 11/15/12.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
......RANGE REPORT......

Had the opportunity to try the Lazer-cast 170 @.310 w/ gas check and the Hunter's Supply 165 @.311 (plain base). Tried both with a charge of 9.2gr Trail Boss in an '80 Marlin 336 with micro groove and a '46 model 36 with ballard rifling. The Lazer cast shot well in both rifles. About 1"@ 50yds with the 36 w/tang sight and 3/4 to 1" in the scoped 336. The scope has wide duplex and I think I could do better with standard duplex. The 36 shoots it as well as anything I have tried, and probably as good as these old eyes can do. I'm very pleased with this bullet.

The Hunter's supply...Not so good. About 2 to 2.5" out of either rifle. It was consistent! I'm hoping a higher cherge may help, but don't want to go any lower.

I didn't get the chance to try them in my Model 94, but I'm thinking results should be similar.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
Rick

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like the Lazer Cast GC bullet load is doing a good job for you in both rifles. Hopefully you can get something worked out with the other bullet as well.

Any idea what kind of MV your getting with the TB load?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Per Hodgdon I should be getting between 1100 and 1200 fps. but I didn't take my chronograph today. I've been shooting a winchester 150gr power point bullet in the micro-groove rifle with 10.5 and it shoots fairly well, but I think the Lazer-cast beat it. I'll up the charge to 10.5 grs with the Lazer-cast and see how that works.

Take care,
Rick

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This what I like about cast bullet shooting. The infinite possibilities and the experimentation involved in harnessing those possibilities. I've often said that a man isn't a true rifle loony until he delves into the world of casting bullets!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well it's proven once again that rifles are fniniky on their diet of projectiles. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.