Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nothing wrong with using credit wisely. I've done it a few times with guns or other large purchases and paid it off within a few months. I'm not going to let $20-$30 in interest get between me and a purchase that is $100-$200 less than the item typically goes for.

I let the bank finance my last car purchase, it would have cost me more to take the money out and pay cash.

Not something to do on a regular basis, but at times it is the smart move.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In spite of his arrogant tag line, I am given to understand that Shrapnel is a good guy all around! Be nice to him. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have over $300.00 credit at Cabela's, only problem is that I don't need anything they have

They sell ammo

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
Besides, why make credit card companies any more money, they screw and ruin people's lives like us on a daily basis with their bullschit interest, that's their bread and butter.

I don't know about you, but I've never had a credit card company force me to charge anything or send me a card without my consent.

Yep,CCs don't jump out of your wallet and rack up balances by themselves.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
I have over $300.00 credit at Cabela's, only problem is that I don't need anything they have

They sell ammo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shrappy, can I make my order right now...Or do I have to wait till x-mas??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Most of that will be shot up by Christmas. I am getting out of hunting and shooting completely.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Originally Posted by cra1948
If I want something I don't have the cash for my wife buys it for me.

To quote Deflave ....,, GFY

I just figured he was channeling his inner Swampy... shocked

Eat your hearts out boys...somehow I have ended up with a wife who is not only highly intelligent, kind, spiritual, very gainfully employed, fit, and drop-dead beautiful, but who also whispers things in my ear like, and this is a direct quote, "Honey, you can spend all the money you want on guns and ammunition."

Did I mention she's drop-dead beautiful? Oh, by the way, she has absolutely no interest in tagging along hunting with me.

Mathew 22: 37-39

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Travis13
Just curious if any of you have signed up for a 0% APR credit card to purchase a rifle? I always pay my credit card bill off in full each month and this seems like a viable option if you didn't just have the cash lying around. What do you think? By the way the rifle I would purchase would be a kimber montana!!

I've taken out 3 or 4 BassPro shop cards for about the same purpose. They have a store wide 10% sale from time to time then offer another big discount if you take out a C/C in the store. I take out the card in the store, get instant approval and buy the big ticket item. Pay the card off and cancel it immediately.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Credit companies have never screwed anyone. Only people dumb enough to buy things they can't pay for get "screwed" because they don't stick to the terms they agreed to.
Getting a credit card to buy a rifle is stupid. Save money and pay cash. It feels good to actually own something. The borrower is slave to the lender.
The interest rate means nothing.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I am getting out of hunting and shooting completely.

"said the alcoholic to the bar tender." laugh

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Opening and closing revolving credit in the manner mentioned above actually hurts your credit.....

Last edited by fatjack34; 11/16/12.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experian credit score is 883. It didn't suffer too much.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I trashed my credit bad enough in my early 20s. I no longer buy ANYTHING that I can't live without on a credit card. I set cash aside until I have enough saved THEN I buy, you tend to appreciate things more that way.
This is the best way to do it.

I know we live in the world of instant gratification nowadays, but the safest way to buy is to have the amount in cash whether you buy it with paper or plastic.

My dad always pounded that in my head, I didn't always listen and [bleep] up a couple times, but now I know that to be the truth and the best way to go.

Besides, why make credit card companies any more money, they screw and ruin people's lives like us on a daily basis with their bullschit interest, that's their bread and butter.

Credit card companies don't screw anybody, you agreed to terms when you signed up for the card, if you don't like the terms then don't agree to them and don't get the card. Take some personal responsibilty!

As for paying cash, that's great but it doesn't help your credit score. You would be better off saving cash for the item then buying it on a credit card and then paying of the CC right away. This way you get the benefit on your credit score. And your credit score affects a lot of things in your life.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I am happy for you. You have managed your credit wisely. I am simply saying that the opening and closing of revolving credit in a consistent manner effects credit rating.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you all for the helpful replies. Still haven't decided if I will use it or not

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Let me put it more simply. Don't put beans up your nose.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

They sell ammo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are you sure that's enough ammo? wink

Geez, an my wife thinks I have an arsenal. I don't even rate an also ran...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Travis13
Just curious if any of you have signed up for a 0% APR credit card to purchase a rifle? ...

I've taken out 3 or 4 BassPro shop cards for about the same purpose. They have a store wide 10% sale from time to time then offer another big discount if you take out a C/C in the store. I take out the card in the store, get instant approval and buy the big ticket item. Pay the card off and cancel it immediately.

That is an intelligent way to manage your money. If you don't have money to pay it off you probably don't have enough saved up for a rainy day.

Not saying credit is necessarily bad, but my preference is to use it for necessities/big ticket items (home/cars/etc.) rather than toys I can easily live without. That said, my wife and I have purchased several items by signing up for a card that provided an immediate additional discount - we take the savings, pay the card off immediately and destroy the card.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I use my credit card to buy firearms, then pay the card off completely when the bill arrives, and get the rewards from my card.

Yeah, people get in trouble with credit all the time. I did in my 20's, in part thanks to a "practice wife" who loved credit, but I also had a part in it, since I figured I had to spend at least some of our money before she did. Eventually I was working three jobs and still falling behind.

Got rid of that wife and changed my spending habits. Now I don't use a credit card for anything unless I have the means to pay it off when the bill comes every month. Mostly it's a matter of convenience, plus a record of business expenses.

Don't have as much ammo as Shrapnel, but have plenty (sort of like a savings account) and even he has admitted to me that sometimes he feels a little ammo-overloaded.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.